Electrical Problems/ Starter won't turn.... BWM 325is 1990

Old April 19th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Electrical Problems/ Starter won't turn.... BWM 325is 1990

Hello

I have a 90 BMW 325is. I started up my car and noticed that I did not have
power windows.

I drove the car about 5 miles and seemed to hear some "unusual noises" - but
power and peformance were good.

I got home and turned the car off. Now the starter won't turn and I did
smell something that smelled like burning wires.

Taking a quick look at the fuses, it doesn't seem like any of them are
burned - but I need to look better.

Any ideas???? Could there be a relay that is prone to failure. My car has
230,000 miles.

All responses are appreciated.

- Ben

Old April 19th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Ben Martin > wrote:

>I have a 90 BMW 325is. I started up my car and noticed that I did not have
>power windows.

Did you try pressing the power window circuit breaker to the right of the
steering column?

>I drove the car about 5 miles and seemed to hear some "unusual noises" - but
>power and peformance were good.

Were they the sort of noises that you hear if the key is jammed into the
"START" position and never returns to "RUN," thus leaving the starter
engaged?

>I got home and turned the car off. Now the starter won't turn and I did
>smell something that smelled like burning wires.

Could be all kinds of things. Do the interior lights dim when you turn
the key? Does the starter click? Can you pushstart it?
--scott

Old April 20th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Ben Martin wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a 90 BMW 325is. I started up my car and noticed that I did not have
> power windows.
>
> I drove the car about 5 miles and seemed to hear some "unusual noises" - but
> power and peformance were good.
>
> I got home and turned the car off. Now the starter won't turn and I did
> smell something that smelled like burning wires.
>
> Taking a quick look at the fuses, it doesn't seem like any of them are
> burned - but I need to look better.
>
> Any ideas???? Could there be a relay that is prone to failure. My car has
> 230,000 miles.
>
> All responses are appreciated.
>
> - Ben

It could be lots of things.
Begin by checking the battery - Is it dead?