Solution to noisy vehicles

Old March 15th 05, 03:05 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Motorhead Lawyer wrote:
>
>> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

>> > CR, I wonder if you take language and attitude like this into court
>> > and/or staff meetings.

>> Only the attitude. I know how to call someone a ****forbrains politely.
>> It's just way shorter and somewhat more entertaining this way. You *do
>> not* want me to start writing like a lawyer does here ...

> I do! I do!
>
>> "Staff meetings"? What's that?

> Apparently, young Mr. Bowman thinks you're an underling at Lawfirm and
> Lawfirm, Inc.

I did assume that he worked in a law firm. Well, I've been wrong before.
Thing is, I'm man enough to admit it.

And I'm pushing 50. But I'm young at heart, and no one thinks I look my
age. I bet you do, though.

Old March 15th 05, 04:59 PM
Jim Yanik

"PaulR" > wrote in
:

> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>> (Matthew Russotto) wrote in
>> :

>>> Then you should be fined for noise pollution (for the auto alarm).

>> It usually only triggers the warning chirps.
>> And it would not be noise pollution,as the alarm WAS triggered by
>> something.(not going off on it's own,with no external influence.)
>>

> A car alarm went off outside a hospital in NYC. By the time the
> police were done with the car (a Bimmer), the driver's door had been
> ripped off and all of the wires had been ripped out from under the
> dash. Needless to say it silenced the alarm. Note that the alarm
> went sounded, but the owner never appeared.
>
> Request: Don't flame me. I didn't rip the door off or rip out the
> wiring. I'm just reporting the story.
>
> Paul R

True. I realize that *I* will be the only one to check on my car if the
alarm is triggered.But the presence of an alarm does keep the Midnite Auto
Parts thieves from beginning work on it,as they did prior to my installing
the alarm.And it does give me a chance to catch them if they do try.I'm
well prepared for that situation.

And I do not live in NYC.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 15th 05, 05:25 PM
PaulR

> True. I realize that *I* will be the only one to check on my car if the
> alarm is triggered.But the presence of an alarm does keep the Midnite Auto
> Parts thieves from beginning work on it,as they did prior to my installing
> the alarm.And it does give me a chance to catch them if they do try.I'm
> well prepared for that situation.
>
> And I do not live in NYC.

BTW, I don't live in NYC either.

But my point was that, especially in cities cars are often parked at quite a
distance from the owner. In that case you're counting on a neighbor to call
the police if an alarm goes off. But there are so many alarms, that people
just ignore them (except when they trash the car). Maybe the answer is to
absolutely outlaw noisy alarms, while permitting (encouraging?) alarms that
either send a silent radio alarm or telephone the owner.

I'm in favor of LOTS of voltage on the inside of the car, but I realize that
the law takes umbrage on this.

Paul R

Old March 15th 05, 07:03 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Correct. And, what I see in many communities is a stupidly

misguided
> > sign that says, "Engine Braking Prohibited". Anybody want to guess
> > what I do as I roll by that one in my BMW? On my Shadow? =;^)

> I don't know what you do, but I could take a stab at what you don't

do: give
> a crap about the neighborhood residents who might be sensitive to

excess
> noise; hence the sign.

Ummm, these 'neighborhood residents' all seem to be operating grocery
stores, antique shops, and gas stations. They're *business districts*.

> Actually, I think you do give a crap: "How can I annoy as many people

as
> possible and come off as having the mentality of a 15 year-old boy at

the
> same time?"

Damn, you're perceptive! Or are you a psychic? What would you say if
I mentioned that the BMW has a full stock exhaust system on it, Skippy?
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 15th 05, 07:11 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> And I'm pushing 50. But I'm young at heart, and no one thinks I look

my
> age. I bet you do, though.

'pushing 50'? Hell, you're just some young whippersnapper! So how's
about you shut yer yap and respect your AARP card-carryin' *elders*?
'Young at heart' means, when you get right down to it, "You're only
young once but you can be immature forever." Words to live by. At
least I do.

Still waiting for those definitions you're so clearly willing to change
the subject to ignore ...
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 15th 05, 07:58 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

>> Actually, I think you do give a crap: "How can I annoy as many people

> as
>> possible and come off as having the mentality of a 15 year-old boy at

> the
>> same time?"

> Damn, you're perceptive! Or are you a psychic? What would you say if
> I mentioned that the BMW has a full stock exhaust system on it, Skippy?

I love BMWs--I'd like a garage full of them, no lie. I miss my R80
something fierce. I loved how people who were normally scared of
crotch-rockets would like how quiet and well-balanced mine was and want to
take a spin.

Old March 15th 05, 08:05 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>>
>> And I'm pushing 50. But I'm young at heart, and no one thinks I look

> my
>> age. I bet you do, though.

> 'pushing 50'? Hell, you're just some young whippersnapper! So how's
> about you shut yer yap and respect your AARP card-carryin' *elders*?

So you want to shut me up, C.R.? There are some old folks who can't stand
change and hate being challeneged. That would explain a lot in your case,
C.R.

> 'Young at heart' means, when you get right down to it, "You're only
> young once but you can be immature forever." Words to live by. At
> least I do.

We can see that in almost every one of your posts, C.R. I do enjoy reading
what you post; at least those when you aren't whipping out a one-inch dick
in an effort to show what a big man you are.

> Still waiting for those definitions you're so clearly willing to change
> the subject to ignore ...

I don't have a problem with that. You may, but your problems aren't mine.

Old March 15th 05, 08:05 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Damn, you're perceptive! Or are you a psychic? What would you say

if
> > I mentioned that the BMW has a full stock exhaust system on it,

Skippy?

> I love BMWs--I'd like a garage full of them, no lie. I miss my R80
> something fierce.

'88 535is: ~$5000

'95 Honda Shadow: ~$3500

You thinking I *rode* a Beemer and *drove* a Dodge: priceless.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 15th 05, 08:14 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> >>
> >> And I'm pushing 50. But I'm young at heart, and no one thinks I

look
> > my
> >> age. I bet you do, though.

> > 'pushing 50'? Hell, you're just some young whippersnapper! So

how's
> > about you shut yer yap and respect your AARP card-carryin'

*elders*?

> So you want to shut me up, C.R.?

Not really. Sarcasm, dude. Fell into that 'Grandpappy' mode and
couldn't get out. ;^) Don't take it personally.

> There are some old folks who can't stand
> change and hate being challeneged. That would explain a lot in your

case,
> C.R.

It might if it were true. I love change and I love a challenge. So
give us some substance to your arguments so we can stop trading
insults.

> > 'Young at heart' means, when you get right down to it, "You're only
> > young once but you can be immature forever." Words to live by. At
> > least I do.

> We can see that in almost every one of your posts, C.R. I do enjoy

reading
> what you post; at least those when you aren't whipping out a one-inch

dick
> in an effort to show what a big man you are.

Hey, I'm a pretty tolerant 'New Age' kinda guy and all, but I wouldn't
*think* of whipping out your dick ...

> > Still waiting for those definitions you're so clearly willing to

change
> > the subject to ignore ...

> I don't have a problem with that.

Geez, is that a white flag already?

> You may, but your problems aren't mine.

Sounds frighteningly like a certain Texas LEO (named after a large,
noisy, essentially harmless blue bird) we all know ...
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old March 15th 05, 08:51 PM
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > writes:
> "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>>>
>>> Here we have a comparatively easy job: motor vehicles operating on a

>> road,
>>> not to exceed this particular decibel level in normal,

>> well-maintained
>>> operation.

>> Just because I didn't check in for a few days doesn't mean I *won't*.
>>
>> You still persist in *ignoring* my experience-based assertion that many
>> factors that are *not* easily controlled, especially in field testing,
>> affect noise readings. The same identical vehicle could pass one day
>> and fail the next. So how do you propose to *fix* that?

> Okay, I'll make it simple. A Honda Accord revved to 3500 rpms is not going
> to make as much noise as a Harley at idle. Do you see where we are going
> with this, C.R.? Or do you want more detail?

It's easy to find examples at both sides of the line. The tough part
is to draw the line and sort the ones thast are close to it. It's a
simple concept, really.

--
Ignasi.
(using SPAM trap e-mail address)