Solution to noisy vehicles

Old March 18th 05, 04:51 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On 16 Mar 2005 01:38:59 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>
>>Well,it's not my fault people do not care about their neighbors enough to
>>check on an alarm.If it were a common problem of false alarms,then action
>>(alarm adjustment) should be taken,and would in my case,as I detest
>>falses,too.I don't want to get up any more than the next person.
>>
>>But vehicles should not be so noisy as to trigger alarms.

> True, and I actually kind of miss the chorus of car alarms after a big
> crash of thunder. Most modern car alarms are not as susceptible to
> loud noises.

When Jermaine O'Neal was first hired by the Portland Trailblazers (at age
18), he spent his first paycheck on a Ford Expedition and filled the back
with speakers. The first day on the job, he drove it into the undercover
parking lot with the windows down and the stereo turned way up. The
subsonic tremors in that enclosed space set off nearly every car alarm in
the lot, which almost (!) drowned out his stereo.

Needless to say, he kept his stereo turned down after that

Old March 18th 05, 05:58 PM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
link.net:

> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>
>> It's a sad commentary on our society that people would ignore an
>> alarm or a
>> crime-in-progress.

> The problem is too many false alarms. Car alarms are so sensitive
> now, they sound off at a dirty look. No way the police can chase down
> every car alarm going off.

No one is asking the -police- to investigate,but for the neighbors to take
a look,and call IF police are necessary.Or at least take notice of the
vehicle the thiefs came in,possible descriptions of the thieves.

> Remember the story of the boy who cried "Wolf!".

Actually,it's more "I do not want to get involved" on the part of people
today. They will watch a woman get killed and not call police.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 18th 05, 06:01 PM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
link.net:

> "L Sternn" > wrote in message
>> On 16 Mar 2005 01:38:59 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:
>>
>>>Well,it's not my fault people do not care about their neighbors
>>>enough to check on an alarm.If it were a common problem of false
>>>alarms,then action (alarm adjustment) should be taken,and would in my
>>>case,as I detest falses,too.I don't want to get up any more than the
>>>next person.
>>>
>>>But vehicles should not be so noisy as to trigger alarms.

>> True, and I actually kind of miss the chorus of car alarms after a
>> big crash of thunder. Most modern car alarms are not as susceptible
>> to loud noises.

> When Jermaine O'Neal was first hired by the Portland Trailblazers (at
> age 18), he spent his first paycheck on a Ford Expedition and filled
> the back with speakers. The first day on the job, he drove it into
> the undercover parking lot with the windows down and the stereo turned
> way up. The subsonic tremors in that enclosed space set off nearly
> every car alarm in the lot, which almost (!) drowned out his stereo.
>
> Needless to say, he kept his stereo turned down after that

Seeing as how police will not go after red-light runners even when they are
present at the intersection,I understand why they do not write up overly
loud car stereos.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 18th 05, 06:07 PM
Jim Yanik

John David Galt > wrote in
:

>>> decides to wait it out. So the entire neighborhood is disturbed by
>>> this guy's decision to buy an alarm.

>> They should be disturbed if the car is being burgled.
>> Far too many people turn a blind eye to this stuff.

> Third parties have a perfect right to turn a blind eye to YOUR PROBLEM.
> Anyone who is wakened by someone else's car alarm should be allowed to
> take an axe to the car.

Ah,the "my uninterrrupted sleep is more important than your valuable
property" argument.(with added advocacy of criminal actions)

How noble.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 18th 05, 06:14 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
L Sternn > wrote:

>And apparently, it takes a VERY long time for some people to realize
>that most of the cries of "wolf" these days are actually real.

ROTFL. You work for a car alarm company, right?

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 18th 05, 06:14 PM
Jim Yanik

John David Galt > wrote in
:

> Jim Yanik wrote:
>> Well,it's not my fault people do not care about their neighbors
>> enough to check on an alarm.If it were a common problem of false
>> alarms,then action (alarm adjustment) should be taken,and would in
>> my case,as I detest falses,too.I don't want to get up any more than
>> the next person.
>>
>> But vehicles should not be so noisy as to trigger alarms.

> If an alarm is capable of being triggered by noise (other than
> specific sounds such as glass breaking), that alarm is too sensitive
> to have any business being used in a residential area.
>
> Car alarms should be required to be silent, since bystanders never pay
> attention to them anyway, even when annoyed or awakended by them. Let
> the alarm summon the car owner by pager, so he can arrive in time to
> catch Mr. Thief in the act. If he's not willing to go and do that,
> screw him.

1.I would have bought a silent alarm if Best Buys had one.If fact,I'd
prefer one for other reasons than other peoples sensitivity.And I -am-
ready and willing to catch Mr.Thief in the act.I'd very much enjoy that!
(after having my alarmless GSR have it's ECU removed one night,and having a
dead car for 6 WEEKS)

2.Alarms are not only to alert the owner,but draw others attention too.
(if I'm not around,then others(the better ones,at least) may look out for
my stuff,as I would(and do) for them)

Maybe you should just soundproof your bedroom.
After all,there are other noises than alarms,or a fire truck or police
vehicle's siren may wake you.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 18th 05, 07:07 PM
John Harlow

> Seeing as how police will not go after red-light runners even when
> they are present at the intersection,I understand why they do not
> write up overly loud car stereos.

A friend's daughter is a cop. She was telling us the story how she recently
gave her first excessive noise ticket.
She was stopped in her cruiser at a two lane turn. Up next to her pulls a
punk blasting a loud stereo. She uses her bullhorn and tells him to "TURN
IT DOWN". The punk shrugs, reached down and turns it up.

They both turned then she fell in behind and lit him up. For some reason his
volume and attitude changed dramatically. "Ma'am! Ma'am! " he was yelling
as she walked back to her car with his license.

DAMN it would be nice if we all had that power!

Old March 18th 05, 07:47 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:22:48 -0800, John David Galt
> wrote:

>Jim Yanik wrote:
>> Well,it's not my fault people do not care about their neighbors enough to
>> check on an alarm.If it were a common problem of false alarms,then action
>> (alarm adjustment) should be taken,and would in my case,as I detest
>> falses,too.I don't want to get up any more than the next person.
>>
>> But vehicles should not be so noisy as to trigger alarms.

>If an alarm is capable of being triggered by noise (other than specific
>sounds such as glass breaking), that alarm is too sensitive to have any
>business being used in a residential area.
>
>Car alarms should be required to be silent, since bystanders never pay
>attention to them anyway, even when annoyed or awakended by them.

You must not have an alarm on your car.

People with car alarms will look to make sure it is not their car
being stolen.

Furthermore, even if the owner doesn't hear it, car alarms DO make
some car thieves back off.

> Let
>the alarm summon the car owner by pager, so he can arrive in time to
>catch Mr. Thief in the act. If he's not willing to go and do that,
>screw him.

How about alarms on businesses and homes?

Should those be required to be silent as well?

Old March 18th 05, 08:00 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:35:53 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Cartlon Shew wrote:
>
>> If [safety features] were an extra cost today, would you get [them]?

>I'll take that question.
>
>Seat belts, retractable 3-point with pretensioners, all seating
>positions: Yes
>
>Steering column, safety collapsible: Yes
>
>Beams, door side impact guard: Yes
>
>Restraints, driver and passenger head, high-rise: Yes
>
>Airbag, front, driver: No
>
>Airbag, front, passenger: No
>
>Airbags, side, front and rear passenger: No
>
>Occupant impact-protection, vehicle interior, incl. recessed controls,
>knee bolsters, etc: Yes
>
>Suspension, ECE type approved: Yes
>
>Steering, ECE type approved: Yes
>
>Brakes, ECE type approved: Yes
>
>Tires, ECE type approved: Yes
>
>Lighting and signalling system, exterior ECE type approved: Yes
>
>Buzzer, warning, seat belts: No
>
>Buzzer, warning, key in ignition: No
>
>Interlock, shift/ignition: No
>
>Interlock, shift/brake: No
>
>Lamps, daytime running: No
>
>What'd I leave out?

Not sure, but I would probably configure mine similarly given the
choice.

I might get the airbags, but I'd like to know how much more they would
cost (probably enough for me not to get them).