Solution to noisy vehicles

Old March 18th 05, 08:08 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Jim Yanik .> wrote:

>Actually,it's more "I do not want to get involved" on the part of people
>today. They will watch a woman get killed and not call police.

How's it go..."Avoid the legal nets/that entangled Bernhard Goetz/Yell
"Help, Help Police"/Like Kitty Genovese"... something like that,
anyway.

But a car alarm doesn't really fit in. If people yelled "HELP, HELP
POLICE, <softly>that man is looking at me funny" all the time, you can
bet that the cry would soon be ignored by all, and not just in New
York City.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 18th 05, 08:10 PM
Cartlon Shew

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:15:26 -0600,
(Brent P) wrote:

>In article >, Nate Nagel wrote:
>> Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>>> What'd I leave out?

>> 5 MPH bumpers: No (although I believe they are now 2.5 MPH, yes?)

>Those aren't a safety item. They are a consumer regulation. The idea was
>that people paid too much for bumping into things so there had to be no
>damage below certain speeds. It fits into things like regulations on the
>switches, arm rests, that sort of thing. Not really safety, just minimum
>product design standards.

I wish today's bumpers actually worked as bumpers.

I pulled an idiot maneuver last week avoiding a Coca-Cola truck that
was parked right in front of a convenience store last week while I was
backing out of the space next to him.

Since I couldn't turn the wheel to the left as I backed because of the
truck, I went back further than I normally would have.

I was just slowing to put the car in forward and drive off when I hit
the concrete post protecting the gas pumps.

If I had backed straight into it, my bumper might have helped, and at
the very slow speed I was going any damage would have been very
insignificant.

Instead, it broke the lens on my taillight and put a nasty scratch
right next to it.

If I had done that in any of the cars I had owned before this one, the
bumper would have caught the post and not my taillights.

It kind of sucks - I guess the cheapest way to fix it is to see if I
get lucky in a junkyard, although I'm not sure how to remove or
install it. Hopefully I can find a repair guide in a library or
online somewhere.
Old March 19th 05, 03:42 AM
Jim Yanik

Cartlon Shew > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:22:48 -0800, John David Galt
> wrote:
>
>>Jim Yanik wrote:
>>> Well,it's not my fault people do not care about their neighbors
>>> enough to check on an alarm.If it were a common problem of false
>>> alarms,then action (alarm adjustment) should be taken,and would in
>>> my case,as I detest falses,too.I don't want to get up any more than
>>> the next person.
>>>
>>> But vehicles should not be so noisy as to trigger alarms.

>>If an alarm is capable of being triggered by noise (other than
>>specific sounds such as glass breaking), that alarm is too sensitive
>>to have any business being used in a residential area.
>>
>>Car alarms should be required to be silent, since bystanders never pay
>>attention to them anyway, even when annoyed or awakended by them.

> You must not have an alarm on your car.
>
> People with car alarms will look to make sure it is not their car
> being stolen.
>
> Furthermore, even if the owner doesn't hear it, car alarms DO make
> some car thieves back off.
>

>> Let
>>the alarm summon the car owner by pager, so he can arrive in time to
>>catch Mr. Thief in the act. If he's not willing to go and do that,
>>screw him.

> How about alarms on businesses and homes?
>
> Should those be required to be silent as well?

They even have alarms as OEM equipment on new cars now.
Most new cars have some sort of anti-theft alarm tham is audible,not
silent.

So,it seems that people WANT them.
(and they have some level of effectiveness.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 19th 05, 07:06 PM
L Sternn

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:38:23 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, John Harlow wrote:
>
>> > The old-car problem is easy to factor out of the question: Cars made
>> > before 19XX are exempt, same as is done with seatbelts, sidemarker
>> > lights, airbags and all other now-mandatory equipment. They're not the
>> > ones causing the problem; it's the kidzzz with their Honda Civiczzzz,
>> > Dodge Neonzzzz, Chevrolet Cadavalierzzzz, etc.

>> And the harleys and modified jap bikes.

>...and BS groups with names like Motorcycle Riders Safety Foundation are
>onhand to bleat "Loud pipes save lives! Loud pipes save lives!".

I think it's time we proved them wrong. If someone has a loud bike,
run them off the road.
Old March 20th 05, 02:04 AM
Jim Yanik

L Sternn > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:38:23 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>>> And the harleys and modified jap bikes.

>>...and BS groups with names like Motorcycle Riders Safety Foundation
>>are onhand to bleat "Loud pipes save lives! Loud pipes save lives!".

> I think it's time we proved them wrong. If someone has a loud bike,
> run them off the road.

Today I encountered a jacked-up pickup truck with knobby,off-road tires
that made so much racket,you could hear it coming a hundred feet away,what
a drone! It sounded like a jet engine approaching at ground level!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 20th 05, 02:38 AM
L Sternn

On 20 Mar 2005 02:04:38 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:

>>>...and BS groups with names like Motorcycle Riders Safety Foundation
>>>are onhand to bleat "Loud pipes save lives! Loud pipes save lives!".

>> I think it's time we proved them wrong. If someone has a loud bike,
>> run them off the road.
>>

>Today I encountered a jacked-up pickup truck with knobby,off-road tires
>that made so much racket,you could hear it coming a hundred feet away,what
>a drone! It sounded like a jet engine approaching at ground level!

Yep - I've seend and heard those also. I wonder how much a set of
tires like that costs. Probably not cheap. It'd be a shame if
someone slashed them.
Old March 20th 05, 11:02 AM
Nate Nagel

L Sternn wrote:

>>>I think it's time we proved them wrong. If someone has a loud bike,
>>>run them off the road.
>>>

>>Today I encountered a jacked-up pickup truck with knobby,off-road tires
>>that made so much racket,you could hear it coming a hundred feet away,what
>>a drone! It sounded like a jet engine approaching at ground level!

> Yep - I've seend and heard those also. I wonder how much a set of
> tires like that costs. Probably not cheap. It'd be a shame if
> someone slashed them.

(shakes head)

you complain about noise but fantasize about property damage. No wonder
our country is so ****ed up when there are people like you in it.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.