Solution to noisy vehicles

Old March 22nd 05, 07:32 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Cartlon Shew > wrote:

>Years ago, there was a shooting in the apt. complex next to mine.
>Somebody fired at a car as it sped off and a number of shots passed
>through or over the wooden fence separating the 2. 1 of the shots hit
>the wall on my patio and another went through the glass door.
>
>I wasn't the only one to notice it, but the police told me I was the
>only one to report it. It wasn't that great of a neighborhood, but in
>2 years of living there, those were the only gunshots I heard.

Most people who heard a car speeding off and a few loud noises
probably assumed it was the car making the noises, not gunshots.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 23rd 05, 01:48 AM
PaulR

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 01:29:07 GMT, "PaulR" >
> wrote:
>

>>"L Sternn" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> WTF are you talking about

>>The car (BMW) that had its alarm go off at about 2 in the AM outside a
>>hospital. By the time the police were through with it, a door had been
>>ripped off, and the wires had been yanked out from under the dash. Door
>>was
>>left in the street next to the car (this happened several years ago).
>>

> Odd - I can't find anything about it using Google.
>
> I would think such a story would have a bit more of a presence on the
> internet.
>
>>Apparently someone in the hospital called because the alarm was disturbing
>>cardiac patients.

> If the car were on hospital property, wouldn't they just tow it? If
> it weren't on their property, would it really be close enough to hear
> inside?
>
> Why didn't the cops just tow it? Don't tell me they didn't have the
> rgiht to, because I seriously doubt they have the right to do what
> they supposedly did.
>

>>One can speculate if the car owner thought his car was more important than
>>the life of a patient.

> One could also speculate as to why the cops would vandalize a car so
> badly when smashing the window, popping the hood and disconnecting the
> battery would suffice.
>
> Perhaps it's the same mentality that would cause them to shove a
> plunger up someone's ass and pump 40 rounds of ammo into an unarmed
> suspect.
>
>>Probably just didn't think about it at all. Worse,
>>considering it was a BMW parked outside a hospital, it just might have
>>been
>>owned by a doctor.

> Or it could simply be an urban legend. I checked Snopes and didn't
> find any reference to it.
>
> I would think any news outlet that covered it would have mentioned it
> if a doctor owned the car. I would also think some sort of
> disciplinary action or even criminal charges would be in order for the
> vandals.
>

>>Paul R

We're going back about 15 years or so. Not much on Google of that age.
Snopes either (Snopes is a great site isn't it? <g>). Hospital isn't
recessed into a campus. It's separated from the street by a sidewalk. I
don't know that it was a doctor. My comment was "just might have been..."
Might have been a janitor just as well. Or someone with no relationship to
the hospital at all. I have no way of knowing. Why did the cops do what
they did? I have no idea.

Paul R

Old March 23rd 05, 01:49 AM
PaulR

> Seems to me that the owner would be justified in suing the police
> department for damages. They are authorized to issue citations,or have the
> vehicle towed,but not to damage it or destroy it as described.
>
> I'd have to see some cite to believe this one.

I'd think so too. Don't know where the cite would be; esp. after all this
time (15 years or so).

Paul R

Old March 23rd 05, 01:49 AM
PaulR

> I'm under the impressi0on that car alarms turn themselves off long
> before such damage could be done.
>
> --

They do now. Not sure they did about 15 or so years ago.

Paul R

Old March 23rd 05, 01:51 AM
PaulR

> And how old was this car?

Doesn't really matter, does it?

Problem is that MY alarm goes off and YOU pay the price for it.

Paul R