1986 'Nuttered' CJ7 4.2L Canadian Emissions Data

Old April 15th 05, 11:52 PM
Mike Romain

Default 1986 'Nuttered' CJ7 4.2L Canadian Emissions Data

Well after arguing myself blue with a 'mechanic' that says no way a Jeep
with a carb can pass emissions in California if you disable the
emissions computer or do a 'Nutter' on it after the first guy I think to
put the directions online:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/jnutter1.htm

It gives a sweet 25% 'seat of the pants' power boost and an 'easy' 10
mph extra per gear.

The mechanic's reasoning is the NOx will blow out or the timing will
have to be too far back to pass.

The Jeep numbers for an 89 YJ 4.2 in California are 875 NOx on the ASM
2525 test I was told.

I found my 2003 ASM 2525 emissions papers for my Canadian 1986 CJ7 that
disabled the computer in.

Specs.

- 1986 Canadian CJ7 4.2L, Likely 60,000 original miles on it.
- 'No' Catalytic converter (not needed in Canada)
- 2" straight pipe with a high flow Dynomax turbo muffler.
- No computer, 'Nuttered'
- Base timing set at 9 deg BTDC with the vacuum line off like the book
says for a non computer engine. (If I go with the higher RPM setting of
full advance the sticker on a YJ says, I end up with 6 or 7 deg. BTDC
base and I find that too boggy for power so I even have room to play
there.)
- 92 octane ESSO gas.
- Ported on the timing advance
- Stock BBD carb set to 'best lean idle' and always a fresh $20.00
rebuild kit for the test.
- Accel Supercoil for hot spark with Champion plugs and OEM wires.
- Strong pull up to 4400 rpm, then falls flat.
- 11L/100km or something like 23 US mpg highway

On the ASM 2525 test I got 589 NOx!!!!!.

And 16 ppm HC

And 0.11% CO

Photo of the papers he
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4290636987

And a post on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 with the JPG photo of the
paperwork.

Not a fluke, I killed the computer in 2000, this 2003 one was just the
only year they actually put the NOx reading on because I don't have to
pass that.

And the best part is I have passed the last test it ever will need! It
becomes too old before the next one.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old April 16th 05, 12:47 AM
Jeff Strickland

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Well after arguing myself blue with a 'mechanic' that says no way a Jeep
> with a carb can pass emissions in California if you disable the
> emissions computer or do a 'Nutter' on it after the first guy I think to
> put the directions online:

The problem is, in Calif., the system has to physically be installed. I
don't know what the bypass entails, but if stuff is removed, then the
vehicle fails because of the visual inspection that comes before the sniff
test.

There is considerable irony here, the bypass can conceivably result in
better performance with the sniffer, but because the system hasn't got all
of the components, it automatically fails. The vehicle can spit out better
numbers, but if the parts are missing, it will fail. Sad - even stupid - but
true.

Old April 16th 05, 01:08 AM
Mike Romain

All the junk can be left in place. It only requires 2 new wires from
the ignition module to the distributor that fit inside the loom.

You then just set the carb mix and timing. That's it!

If you have to put it back, it is only 2 wires to change.....

Mike

Old April 16th 05, 02:47 AM
u know who

hmmmmm
I read the nutter instructions sounds like this will have to be something
that I will have to do to my 89yj as it will not pass emissions
the sad part is it was recommended that I may need a evap canister guess
what no longer available anywhere.
government sucks

if I fail then 450$ conditional pass, then 650$ ever 2 years really sucks
I know I still need an egr though.

Old April 16th 05, 03:01 AM
Mike Romain

Talk about blatant extortion eh? If I failed, I also could give the
garage $450.00 for a conditional pass.

Just a coincidence that a carb is $365.00 plus $100.00 to put it in eh.

The $tealer still sells the canister and there are places in the US that
sell them so you can still get one.

The canister is needed for decent running and gas fume control but if
dead, it craps out the carb and PCV.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 16th 05, 03:02 AM
Mike Romain

Oh, you can usually clean the EGR's out. Carbon is an issue and for
sure you need one working to pass the sniffer.

Mike

Old April 16th 05, 03:07 AM
Mike Romain

Oh, an EGR is a hundred, the canister is $165 for the last one I saw
bought, add 2 hours labour to get $180 to put the crap in should get you
the extortion pass....

Mike

Old April 16th 05, 05:08 AM
u know who

ya extortion test that's a good name for it.
it appears my egr is broken as the swivel vacuum nipple seems to be bent and
the housing of where the vacuum nipple sits is cracked and broken.

I'm going to pay for the diagnostics test then take the recommendations and
do the work myself and keep a folder with receipts. then take it back for
the retest once I hit my limit. and also at that point I will have my new
egr and whatever else they recommend as well as my nutter bypass and 3
ounces of acetone added to the fuel.

On my e test they put that I have a 4.0L.
On my asm2525 test my NO ppm was 3677 timing was way to advanced limit was
893. And curb idle test HC ppm was 325 limit was 200.reason idle to high and
mixture screws set to rich. also CO% was 1.03 missed a pass by .04

well at least I can assume that I should pass next time as the jeep was so
out of tune. reason for being out of tune I found a bad vacuum leak and
never adjusted the carb to reflect the stopped vacuum leak.

been so long since I played with a carbed equipped veh. and the fact that it
is also computer controlled sucks. which basically means that some of my
adjustment can be over ruled by the computer.

alwell

keep fingers crossed for Tuesday. diagnostic day.
the retest down the road.
not so bad cause ministry issued me real plates even though it was a resale
change of ownership. so theoretically I don't require a test till my plate
renewal.

Old April 16th 05, 09:24 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message

> On the ASM 2525 test I got 589 NOx!!!!!.
>
> And 16 ppm HC
>
> And 0.11% CO

Extortion test... love that one Mike!

My numbers ('92 XJ 4L)

(Limit/Reading)
ASM252
HC ppm 55 / 11
CO% 0.31 / 0.17
NO ppm 780 / 55

Curb Idle
HC ppm 200 / 7
CO% 1.00 / 0.33

-Brian

Old April 16th 05, 12:41 PM
u know who

ya easy to pass when fuel injected.
try to pass with a carb....near impossible or impossibile to drive to set
the carb so out of limits then it isn't driveable.