AWD front end crunching noise

Old July 18th 05, 05:19 AM
bill

Default AWD front end crunching noise

1996 AWD V-8 with 150,000 miles. Makes a clicking/crunching noise; can hear
it especially well when coming to a stop and there's no engine noise. I'm
thinking U-joints? Never replaced anything on the front end except shocks
and brakes. Is this a big job? What's it going to cost me?

Thanks,

Bill

Old July 19th 05, 12:05 PM
Mikepier

As I just recommended to another poster, it could be the stabilizer bar
bushings. They are easy to remove and lubricate. You can do it
yourself. Look under the truck by the radiator and youll see the
stabilizer bar held in with 2 U-brackets on each side of the frame,
held in with 2 bolts per bracket. Remove the bolts, the bar will drop,
then remove the bushings. They will have a slit in them so you can
remove them from the bar. Put some good water resistant grease on them,
then put them back.
Also I recommend using a 1/2" drive ratchet set to remove the bolts to
give you better torque. A regular 3/8" drive socket will work but with
a lot of effort.

Old July 19th 05, 12:29 PM
bill

I read that post and I appreciate the input, but my noise is a rolling noise
of some sort. Bearing, U-joint? But I don't think it's the brakes.

oups.com...

Old July 20th 05, 11:56 PM
ross via CarKB.com

bill wrote:
>1996 AWD V-8 with 150,000 miles. Makes a clicking/crunching noise; can hear
>it especially well when coming to a stop and there's no engine noise. I'm
>thinking U-joints? Never replaced anything on the front end except shocks
>and brakes. Is this a big job? What's it going to cost me?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill

The first thing to look at on the AWD's with "rotational" noises in the front
end is the front driveshaft. They have problems more frequently than the diff,
axles, etc.

I think (but am not sure) that the 96 uses a constant velocity joint on the
transfer case side like my 99. If so, you cannot rebuild it. Just have to
get a new one - around 225.00.

There is a standard u-joint on the diff side which can be rebuilt, but it is
not usually the one that fails. Crunch noises point toward the CV joint.
And it's difficult sometimes to tell if the CV joint is bad without taking
the shaft off.

I's start there!

Old July 21st 05, 05:04 AM
bill

Thanks Ross. You pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

"ross via CarKB.com" > wrote in message

> bill wrote:
>>1996 AWD V-8 with 150,000 miles. Makes a clicking/crunching noise; can
>>hear
>>it especially well when coming to a stop and there's no engine noise. I'm
>>thinking U-joints? Never replaced anything on the front end except shocks
>>and brakes. Is this a big job? What's it going to cost me?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Bill

> The first thing to look at on the AWD's with "rotational" noises in the
> front
> end is the front driveshaft. They have problems more frequently than the
> diff,
> axles, etc.
>
> I think (but am not sure) that the 96 uses a constant velocity joint on
> the
> transfer case side like my 99. If so, you cannot rebuild it. Just have to
> get a new one - around 225.00.
>
> There is a standard u-joint on the diff side which can be rebuilt, but it
> is
> not usually the one that fails. Crunch noises point toward the CV joint.
> And it's difficult sometimes to tell if the CV joint is bad without taking
> the shaft off.
>
> I's start there!

Need advice: droning, humming noise from front (40 MPH) Emily Steed VW air cooled 6 April 7th 05 06:09 PM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 4 February 2nd 05 06:22 AM
Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 01:59 AM
front end noise kevin neault Saturn 7 July 3rd 04 02:24 PM