GM, Ford reputations take a hit

Old February 5th 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

Default GM, Ford reputations take a hit

In article >,
> wrote:

> GM and even Ford, if they can stay alive long enough and, if they will
> devote themselves to producing a quality item and treating their clients
> courteously and fairly, can regain or even improve their images.
>
> If they can't adopt a code of progress and fairness, then maybe they should
> enter banking, or the stock market, or fast foods.

They could run vehicle scrap recycling yards.
Initially most product to them would be GM & Ford vehicles, eventually
Toyotas would be their common vehicle to scrap. <
Old February 5th 07, 06:04 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article <jfrxh.1052$yI1.495@trndny01>, "Jeff" >
wrote:

> What I am thinking is that people expect certain types of cars from the big
> 3 and other types of cars from the Japanese makers. If GM or Ford makes a
> car that is like the Japanese make, they are going to think it is a better
> car if it has Japanese nameplate than American nameplate. But if it is a big
> car like a Crown Vic, they are going to think more of it with a Ford or
> Chevy nameplate than Toyota or Honda.
>
> In other words, people are going to think more of a car that is consistant
> with their idea of what that car maker makes.

People tend to buy what suits them, with lots of emotion where styling
is concerned. For me styling must be good but it follows function.

I'm looking for a replacement for my Chrysler, but Sebring sized.
Nothing new from Chrysler for several years meets several of my most
basic needs.

For example I need a full sized matching spare, and I don't like how GM,
Ford and Chrysler have cheapened the body construction so the rear door
edge forms the front edge of the wheel well.
I'm also preferring a station wagon body design.
These are just two of several functional aspects I don't like about the
new cars from the big 2.5.
In tune with current leading edge engines I want a VVT engine.

Unfortunately I need to go beyond the big 2.5 to meet my functional
requirements. The Ford Fusion comes closest to my needs with the big
2.5, but several "foreign" makes do meet my needs.
Since my Chrysler is still running very well I can wait it out a bit
longer, but if I suddenly had to buy a replacement car the big 2.5
wouldn't be on my short list with their current products.
Old February 6th 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Hunter

Unfortunately to many customer, 'treating costumers right,' equates to
fixing the vehicle for free for as long as they one the vehicle. LOL

mike

,

Old February 6th 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Hunter

Old February 6th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
corning_d3[_24_]

Mike Hunter Wrote:
> Unfortunately to many customer, 'treating costumers right,' equates to
> fixing the vehicle for free for as long as they one the vehicle. LOL
>
> mike

Hey, that's true. I've done quite a bit of warranty work, and you
wouldn't believe how some people become irrate when they find out the
warranty has expired. You ask, "how long has this been occuring?"
"About 2-3 months" "Did you know it would've been covered 2-3 months
ago" .......

--
corning_d3
corning_d3's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=373828

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 6th 07, 04:29 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

> "Some O" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Jim Higgins" > wrote:
>>
>> > Ford and GM have lamented the fact that many car buyers simply don't
>> > consider them anymore. GM has conducted focus groups that show its

> vehicles
>> > get much higher marks when their Chevy or Pontiac nameplate is replaced

> by a
>> > Toyota badge.

Beyond their quality, they have an additional problem that they can't get
control of. Many of their dealers make it pure torture to both buy and own
their products. Many of their enemies were created by the dealers, not the
product or the corporation.

They say they can't really tell their dealers what to do. They're
independent. Personally, I bet there are people everywhere who would be
more than willing to represent them.

Old February 6th 07, 04:30 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

> wrote in message
et...

> GM and even Ford, if they can stay alive long enough and, if they will
> devote themselves to producing a quality item and treating their clients
> courteously and fairly, can regain or even improve their images.

You are so right. That's a real problem for them. They don't actually
contact their customers.

Old February 6th 07, 04:34 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

"Mike Hunter" > wrote in message
> Unfortunately to many customer, 'treating costumers right,' equates to
> fixing the vehicle for free for as long as they one the vehicle. LOL
>
> mike

No doubt that's a strong motivator for some customers. The 100,000 mile
warranties were designed to appeal to them.

It is, after all, what I do at home. I don't spend much money at all fixing
my cars. Maybe $100 a year per car, if that. My expectations are going to
be hard to live up to.

Old February 6th 07, 05:09 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article >, "Joe" >
wrote:

> Beyond their quality, they have an additional problem that they can't get
> control of. Many of their dealers make it pure torture to both buy and own
> their products. Many of their enemies were created by the dealers, not the
> product or the corporation.

Right on, some dealers are downright ugly and many including me won't
enter their business again.
Here we have one rich cat who made his initial fortune on a Gm
dealership. He now has many dealerships of several stripes including
Toyota. Toyota is recent for him, he's a survivor.

His approach is to fire the worst salesman of each month.
This attitude of intimidation is passed on against the customers.
i've tried them 4 times over 20 years; since I don't submit to their
intimidation I leave very soon.
Buying a new car is a tough enough decision, without this as well.
He hasn't taken up a Chrysler dealership.
Old February 6th 07, 07:55 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Mike Hunter wrote:
> Unfortunately to many customer, 'treating costumers right,' equates to
> fixing the vehicle for free for as long as they one the vehicle. LOL

And to others, being treated right means the manufacturer fixing what
are very obviously design mistakes in the vehicle even if the warranty
has expired.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')