"without oil"

Old March 15th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default "without oil"

wrote:
> back when, before the ptfe craze, bardahl had an oil additive that I can
> attest to it's merit.
>
> this is a case where a limp-in mode provided by the bardahl additive
> saved the day.
>
> after knocking the drain plug out(losing the oil) in a 12 cylinder
> graham-paige automobile w/bardhal additive in the crankcase -
>
> it was able two travel 2-3 miles without any noticeable damage.
>
> to my knowledge this product is no longer available - off the shelf.
>
> m h o
> v ƒe

Unless you ran another identical engine without Bardahl and oil there
is no way to tell whether that snake oil did any good.

Old March 15th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Make that post-WW2; pretty much any auto engine designed after WW2 was a
high-compression, overhead-valve design with pressure lubrication.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 15th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Whatever one thinks of its virtues or vices as an additive, STP is a
good mnemonic. Safe place to stop, Turn off the key, and Pray you
haven't spun a bearing or seized or galled the heck out of anything in
the time it took to do even that.

Also STay off the Power, assuming you can get through traffic and come
to a safe place without it. (Safety first -- live to buy another
engine.)

And you definitely shouldn't try driving off unless you know what the
problem is and can be positive that you've solved it.

It probably helps to have an engine that is more robust in these
regards (good luck figuring out which ones those are, besieds which,
prioritizing the ability to survive a low-probability failure is kind
of a goofy way to select a car). Definitely helps to have quality
oil with a lot of shear strength at the molecular level and a good
ability to withstand temperature and a tendency to stick tenaciously to
metal.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old March 15th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Al Bundy" > wrote in message
I'm partial to STP no matter what others say. Unless it's an all out
emergency, when the red light comes on, the key goes off.

There is some basis in fact in STP. It is a high molecular weight
polyalphaolefin
(higher than the PAO's used in synthetic lubricants) and is known in the
lubrication industry for some of its unusual properties.

Old March 15th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article > ,
> wrote:
>
>"Al Bundy" > wrote in message
>I'm partial to STP no matter what others say. Unless it's an all out
>emergency, when the red light comes on, the key goes off.
>
>There is some basis in fact in STP. It is a high molecular weight
>polyalphaolefin
>(higher than the PAO's used in synthetic lubricants) and is known in the
>lubrication industry for some of its unusual properties.

Here is an important song about STP:

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/...nked_Out_M.mp3

I hope this song is informative to all of you.
--scott

Old March 15th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Well, "high" compression in 1955 was still in the 9:1 range, but yeah.
Most manufacturers had thin shell-type steel-backed bearings and (except
for Chevrolet's 6) full-pressure lubrication by WWII.