99 miata w/automatic

Old October 24th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default 99 miata w/automatic

i was looking at much newer miata's when i came across a 1999 w/auto
trans w/44k miles.(anniversery edition) i've normally prefered a stick
especially since the auto's don't seem to excite too many in the area
of performance. if i get this one what could i do to get more
performance out of it? how much would i have to spend for it and what
are your thoughts in general about the automatics? since i occasionally
have sore leg joints i was looking at the 06 miata automatics but i
have since determined i don't want to spend that much money.
thanks.

Old October 25th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I guess, it's more than a performance defacit. That's a lesser issue. I
think most would agree that losing part of the feeling of perfect balance
between the car and the driver is the bigger issue. Coming out of a corner
right on the edge of adhesion or wherever you feel comfortable, and being in
the perfect gear to accelerate out. Downshifting going into a corner, these
cars are all about driver involvement and maybe you lose just a bit of that.
It's not the end of the world, it's a more entertaining, involving car than
most automatics but you don't have the grunt force of a v8 to motivate you.
To really go in these cars you must use the full rpm range and that's best
done with a manual. There are tons of miatas out there, be patient and drive
both transmissions, then make the best choice for you 5s p ee d5s pee d5s
pee d5s p ee d (subliminal message ;-)

Chris
99BBB
oups.com...

Old October 25th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> I guess, it's more than a performance defacit. That's a lesser issue. I
> think most would agree that losing part of the feeling of perfect balance
> between the car and the driver is the bigger issue. Coming out of a corner
> right on the edge of adhesion or wherever you feel comfortable, and being in
> the perfect gear to accelerate out. Downshifting going into a corner, these
> cars are all about driver involvement and maybe you lose just a bit of that.
> It's not the end of the world, it's a more entertaining, involving car than
> most automatics but you don't have the grunt force of a v8 to motivate you.
> To really go in these cars you must use the full rpm range and that's best
> done with a manual. There are tons of miatas out there, be patient and drive
> both transmissions, then make the best choice for you 5s p ee d5s pee d5s
> pee d5s p ee d (subliminal message ;-)
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

An automatic in good condition is likely going to be harder to find as
well. I have lost track of how many miatas I have driven, the number has
to be over 40 by now, and I still have never driven one with an
automatic transmission.

Of course, I wasn't even test-driving automatics when I bought the two
that I have owned, so that is a factor, but I didn't see very many
automatic miatas while searching for a car, and the ones that I have
repaired or "borrowed" have all been 5-speeds.

Pat
Old October 25th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
mickey53usa

My only comments a

I had a 95 Automatic. It was a great car. It had the "hold" feature on
the transmission that would keep it in the gear selected. I autocrossed
it and though it was a "little" slower (probably more driver than car)
it handled great. Trust me when I say that it was against the rev
limiter more than once in first and second and I never had a problem.
An automatic is easier to put a Turbo or Super Charger on as they have
lower compression ratio which is good for adding boost.

Old October 26th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

An automatic is easier to put a Turbo or Super Charger on as they have
lower compression ratio which is good for adding boost.

I didn't realize they had a different compression ratio. I would think SC
would be somewhat complementary to an automatic (if ya had to go auto).

Chris
99BBB

oups.com...

Old October 26th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lgadbois

Some of the information that has been posted here about Miata automatics is
not correct. It may be hard for you to get accurate information from the
average Miata owner as 90% of them own, drive, and love their manual
transmission.

I have driven both manual and automatic transmission cars over the last 50
years. In '99 I purchased a used 1995 "M" Edition with an automatic. I liked
it so much after just a few months that I traded it in on a new '99 auto
(which I still own and drive.)

The automatic in the '99 was very well designed. It is reliable and durable,
and will handle over 250rwhp if a high pressure turbo or supercharger is
installed. The stock auto delivers about 110 rear wheel horsepower. The '99
uses a 4.10 ratio rear end which allows quieter highway cruising than the
manual. The car will do over 40 mph in first and over 80 in second gear.
There is no problem holding the auto in gear to fuel cutoff at 7200 rpm.
The manual 5 speed has to shift into third at approximately 59 mph. This
means that the automatic has some advantages in the 50 to 70 mph range. The
auto is a little faster in second than the manual in third when passing at
highway speeds. From a dead stop the manual has a real advantage with the
ability to "wind her up and dump the clutch." The automatics are not
equipped with the Torsen differential. If you want to be competitive in
auto-crossing your car, buy an manual. (I have heard that the new
paddle-shift 2007 six speed automatics have been winning some auto-cross
events.)

In heavy stop and go traffic I appreciate not having to hold the clutch
down. In the long haul, you don't have to worry about clutch replacement,
release bearing noise, worn syncros, missed shifts, shifter maintenance, and
the wear and tear on the engine which leads to repair or replacement. There
are those that believe that an automatic transmission doesn't belong in a
sports car. Yet, there seems to be a growing market for Corvettes, Porsches,
and other brands for the automatic. It's a good idea to test drive a car,
and if you like it...... buy it!

oups.com...

Old October 27th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

lgadbois wrote:
> Some of the information that has been posted here about Miata automatics is
> not correct. It may be hard for you to get accurate information from the
> average Miata owner as 90% of them own, drive, and love their manual
> transmission.
>
> I have driven both manual and automatic transmission cars over the last 50
> years. In '99 I purchased a used 1995 "M" Edition with an automatic. I liked
> it so much after just a few months that I traded it in on a new '99 auto
> (which I still own and drive.)
>
> The automatic in the '99 was very well designed. It is reliable and durable,
> and will handle over 250rwhp if a high pressure turbo or supercharger is
> installed. The stock auto delivers about 110 rear wheel horsepower. The '99
> uses a 4.10 ratio rear end which allows quieter highway cruising than the
> manual. The car will do over 40 mph in first and over 80 in second gear.
> There is no problem holding the auto in gear to fuel cutoff at 7200 rpm.
> The manual 5 speed has to shift into third at approximately 59 mph. This
> means that the automatic has some advantages in the 50 to 70 mph range. The
> auto is a little faster in second than the manual in third when passing at
> highway speeds. From a dead stop the manual has a real advantage with the
> ability to "wind her up and dump the clutch." The automatics are not
> equipped with the Torsen differential. If you want to be competitive in
> auto-crossing your car, buy an manual. (I have heard that the new
> paddle-shift 2007 six speed automatics have been winning some auto-cross
> events.)
>
> In heavy stop and go traffic I appreciate not having to hold the clutch
> down.

Many good points.
I am able to set my own hours and usually avoid havy traffic, but today
I would not have minded an automatic at all at 5:00 p.m.

> In the long haul, you don't have to worry about clutch replacement,
> release bearing noise, worn syncros,

True, but automatic transmission work is expensive, and used miata
automatic transmissions in good condition are not common.

By contrast, you can find a 5-speed in good condition for very little
money, and I can install it along with the clutch myself.
I wouldn't touch the internals on an automatic transmission. The manual
setup is amazingly simple by comparison, and it weighs less as well.

There is also still maintenance to be performed with both systems, and
it is generally more difficult to do this on an automatic than with a
manual.

My current 16 year old manual transmission has 147,000 miles on it and
has had no problems, though the ACT3 clutch is much newer. The previous
owner replaced it at 120,000 miles for the turbo, not because it was
worn out.

> missed shifts,

There is that. At least that 5th instead of 3rd miss is not so bad with
the turbo. ;-)

> shifter maintenance, and
> the wear and tear on the engine which leads to repair or replacement.

Why would the auto cause less wear and tear on the engine than the manual?

> There are those that believe that an automatic transmission doesn't belong in a
> sports car.

Nah, to each their own. In a car as small a miata, I really like a
manual shifter. Imagine an Elise with an automatic.
In something like a Corvette or other larger car, I would consider the
auto. If you get 10 people together, you would be lucky to find 2 that
agree on what a sports car is.

> Yet, there seems to be a growing market for Corvettes, Porsches,
> and other brands for the automatic. It's a good idea to test drive a car,
> and if you like it...... buy it!

Excellent advice!

Pat
Old October 30th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mal Osborne

I would be checking the providance of a Miata Auto. I looked at hiring one
on my last USA trip, all hire cars were Auto, including all Miatae. I
suspect a high proportion of Miata Autos began life as hire cars.

oups.com...

Old November 30th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Brian Minto

I own a 1994 m-spec, r-spec (somewhat rare) with automatic transmission. It
does have torsen differential. It goes really well - much faster than stock
1.6litre miatas even without using my nitrous kit. Since stock timing is
retarded 2-3 degrees from manual transmission cars, little or no timing
retard is required for nitrous kits. When run with torco fluid it is a bit
harsh, but I would highly recommend it. I mostly drive it shifting manually,
but the shift settings are quite liveable. Also, the transmission computer
is located behind the passenger seat and it can be tweaked to alter
performance from mild to brutal.

.net...