Need help recharging the AC on a 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Old August 13th 05, 08:39 PM
Jeff

Default Need help recharging the AC on a 97 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Hello all,

Can anyone instruct me or point me to a website that can give me
pointers on recharging the AC system in my Sport? I've read that it
uses the R132a that you can buy just about anywhere. However, I'm not
sure how to do the recharge.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old August 13th 05, 11:10 PM
Drifter

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:39:16 -0400, Jeff >
wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Can anyone instruct me or point me to a website that can give me
>pointers on recharging the AC system in my Sport? I've read that it
>uses the R132a that you can buy just about anywhere. However, I'm not
>sure how to do the recharge.
>
>Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeff

Yeah, I'd be interested in knowing that too.
Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
Old August 13th 05, 11:23 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jeff,
We fill the low pressure side which is the line coming from the
dash to the compressor, A/C running. Keep the can upright so as not
allow liquid to hydro lock and break the compressor. Explained in detail
at: http://members.tripod.com/~jbabs714/autoac.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 14th 05, 01:42 AM
mikl

when I needed to redo the ac on my 90 xj, I just had the system vacuumed out
and made sure it stayed on vacuum. then I picked up one of those conversion
kits at AutoZone and put the connectors on. they only go on one way. after
that was done, I connected up the can of 134a and started the engine with
the ac on and started to fill it. I kept an eye on the pressure (gage also
available at AutoZone). Pretty soon I had 45 degrees at the vents in the
dash and was good to go. Once a year I had to give it another can. Other
than that it was working just fine.

Old August 14th 05, 12:10 PM
Coasty

Not a good method to use! Each manufacturer has a specific amount of
refrigerant they require to be installed by weight. You do this with the
system off and measure by the total refrigerant installed. Once you have
the correct amount installed you need to check the super heat combined with
discharge air temp, ambient air temp and the high and low side based on the
temperature chart anything else is just a SWAG and not contusive to a good
installation. Also in a new or rebuilt system you need to draw a 500 micron
vacuum to get all the bad stuff out and re introduce the correct amount of
compressor oil.

Old August 14th 05, 10:07 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The system is automatically off via the low pressures switch.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 14th 05, 11:28 PM
Robb S via CarKB.com

I have NEVER been able to recharge a system completely without the compressor
running.........and Bill is right, the compressor is off via the low pressure
switch, until some gas is introduced, and brings the pressure up, then the
compressor aids in pulling the refrigerant into the system via the suctions
side of the compressor. And, I would NEVER add any extra oil to the system
on a recharge, unless you KNEW you lost a significant amount of oil.....
You'll end up slugging your compressor with liquid oil.....

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 15th 05, 12:20 AM
DougW

Robb S via CarKB.com did pass the time by typing:
> I have NEVER been able to recharge a system completely without the compressor
> running.....

And you never will. That's why the charging instructions always say to have
the AC on max and the low side switch bypassed if required to turn on the compressor.

>....and Bill is right, the compressor is off via the low pressure
> switch, until some gas is introduced, and brings the pressure up, then the
> compressor aids in pulling the refrigerant into the system via the suctions
> side of the compressor.

That's why you bypass the low side switch with a jumper wire when starting
from a low or zero charge.

> And, I would NEVER add any extra oil to the system
> on a recharge, unless you KNEW you lost a significant amount of oil.....
> You'll end up slugging your compressor with liquid oil.....

Agreed. The only time you should add oil is when you replace the accumulator.
There is no easy way of testing oil level.

--
DougW

Old August 15th 05, 04:12 AM
Jeff

Thanks for the advice fellas. I got a recharge kit and did it this
afternoon. Drove around for a hour and tested it again. Added maybe
4 or 5 more ounces and it is cold as ice.

Those 100 degree days shouldn't have me down now.

Thanks again,

Jeff

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:20:53 -0500, "DougW"

Old August 15th 05, 04:30 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

bypass that lowside switch on a unit (besides an automotive one) while it's
in a vacuum and bring the compressor on......you'll be buying a new
compressor.....