Speed limits are not personalized

Old January 10th 05, 06:47 PM
Jim Yanik

"James C. Reeves" > wrote in
:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>> MidnightDad wrote:
>>
>>> Speed limits are tuned for the _average_ driver in the _average_
>>> vehicle. Just because you think YOU have the catlike reflexes and
>>> the ultimate driving machine to handle speeds well above the posted
>>> limit, that doesn't mean you are issued an exemption. There's only
>>> one speed limit posted.

>> Bull****. Speed limits, at least in my area, are set for a car so
>> obsolete that it doesn't exist on the road today and a driver so
>> incompetent that he shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel anyway.
>> That's why they are so universally ignored.
>>
>> nate
>>
>> --
>> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
>> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

> When I started driving the DC Beltway was two lane in most places and
> the SL was 70MPH (except around the Bethesda "rollercoaster" where it
> was 60). Now it's 4-5 lane and the SL is 55MPH. So, the limits are
> actually _lower_ today than they were back when vehicles had far worse
> handling characteristics.

Back in 1973 there were highways with 70 MPH speed limits posted,mostly out
west.If it was safe back then for those lesser cars,then today's limits
should be much higher.

But they are not,so that kills the idea that limits are 'tuned' entirely.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old January 10th 05, 07:00 PM
John David Galt

Arif Khokar wrote:
> That sounds like bull**** to me. Speed limits are supposed to be set
> based on actual traffic speeds.

They're supposed to be the 85th percentile (says the MUTCD), but
unfortunately, most city councils are too damn willing to listen to
harpies who move onto major streets and let their kids play in the
street, but don't want to be held responsible for the result.
Old January 10th 05, 07:00 PM
John David Galt

Old January 10th 05, 07:52 PM
Brent P

In article >, Jim Yanik wrote:

> Back in 1973 there were highways with 70 MPH speed limits posted,mostly out
> west.If it was safe back then for those lesser cars,then today's limits
> should be much higher.
>
> But they are not,so that kills the idea that limits are 'tuned' entirely.

Occasionally I come across roads that are essentially untouched wrt the
speed limit in the last 30 years or more. It's usually some little two
lane that is signed at 55mph. What is amazing is that these roads are far
more dangerous at 55mph than the interstates would be at 85mph or
higher. Take a typical car of the era that speed limit was posted and
there is no reason for a speed limit at all.

What is even more telling is that sometimes there will be a segment of
road that is untouched. A crappy 2 lane posted at 55mph with bad
sightlines, ditches to either side, etc etc. Then there will be a section
that has been redone. It will be four lanes, a median in the center,
curbs, concrete grooved to prevent hydroplaning, sewers, the whole 9
yards. Both sections see the same traffic, nothing particularly different
along side them. But the new section will have a speed limit that is
10-30mph lower.

Old January 10th 05, 07:52 PM
Brent P