Looking to buy an A6 1998-2001 - what to watch out for?

Old July 21st 05, 03:58 PM
Thomas Gunnarsrud

Default Looking to buy an A6 1998-2001 - what to watch out for?

I've been hearing there was troubles with the 98/99 models in particular.
What exactly are these?

Does anyone know of a good page with technical history for these models?
Like changes, repairs issued by audi, what to watch out for and so on.

In particular I guess it will be a 2.4 og 2.5tdi Avant Quattro with
automatic transmission. EU models.

Thomas

Old July 21st 05, 05:39 PM
Iain Miller

"Thomas Gunnarsrud" > wrote in message
> I've been hearing there was troubles with the 98/99 models in particular.
> What exactly are these?
>
> Does anyone know of a good page with technical history for these models?
> Like changes, repairs issued by audi, what to watch out for and so on.
>
> In particular I guess it will be a 2.4 og 2.5tdi Avant Quattro with
> automatic transmission. EU models.

Front suspension arms & make sure it's cambelt & tensioner have been changed
if its done more than 60K miles.

If you buy a turbocharged car (particularly a 1.8T) look for evidence of
regular oil changes & make sure its got synthetic oil in it.

I.

Old July 26th 05, 10:26 PM
Rune Skigelstrand

"Thomas Gunnarsrud" wrote:
> I've been hearing there was troubles with the 98/99 models in particular.
> What exactly are these?
>
> Does anyone know of a good page with technical history for these models?
> Like changes, repairs issued by audi, what to watch out for and so on.
>
> In particular I guess it will be a 2.4 og 2.5tdi Avant Quattro with
> automatic transmission. EU models.

Honestly: watch out for at 2002 or later :-) A6 was a much better car after
the facelift.

(Har en -98 selv, så stol på meg!)

Old July 27th 05, 09:12 AM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Rune Skigelstrand wrote:

> Honestly: watch out for at 2002 or later :-) A6 was a much better car after
> the facelift.

What was the facelift 2002?

Regards

Wolfgang
Old July 27th 05, 11:34 AM
Peter Bell

In message <1122451773.526035@news>
Wolfgang Pawlinetz > wrote:

> Rune Skigelstrand wrote:
>
> > Honestly: watch out for at 2002 or later :-) A6 was a much better
> > car after the facelift.

> What was the facelift 2002?

A number of changes where made for the 2002 model year, including
stiffening the shell for improved handling. One of the more obvious
changes (mainly cosmetic) was that the exhaust tail pipes became
visible, rather than the earlier concealed pipes.

Old July 27th 05, 11:53 AM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Peter Bell wrote:

> A number of changes where made for the 2002 model year, including
> stiffening the shell for improved handling. One of the more obvious
> changes (mainly cosmetic) was that the exhaust tail pipes became
> visible, rather than the earlier concealed pipes.

Really? That has passed my attention completely here. I think I'll call
my dealer to find out if there were really changes to the shell. The
2002 A6 Avant of my brother in law and mine weigh about the same.

Can't be much metal involved in the stiffening but it's interesting to know.

Regards

Wolfgang
Old July 27th 05, 12:58 PM
Peter Bell

In message <1122461488.397204@news>
Wolfgang Pawlinetz > wrote:

> Peter Bell wrote:
>
> > A number of changes where made for the 2002 model year, including
> > stiffening the shell for improved handling. One of the more obvious
> > changes (mainly cosmetic) was that the exhaust tail pipes became
> > visible, rather than the earlier concealed pipes.

> Really? That has passed my attention completely here. I think I'll call
> my dealer to find out if there were really changes to the shell. The
> 2002 A6 Avant of my brother in law and mine weigh about the same.
>
> Can't be much metal involved in the stiffening but it's interesting to know.

Other changes included reducing unsprung weight on the front suspension
(by about 5kg) and improved noise insulation.

Old July 27th 05, 02:24 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Peter Bell wrote:

> Other changes included reducing unsprung weight on the front suspension
> (by about 5kg) and improved noise insulation.

Thanks, is there any place one can read that up?

regards

Wolfgang
Old July 27th 05, 03:05 PM
Peter Bell

In message <1122470499.922366@news>
Wolfgang Pawlinetz > wrote:

> Peter Bell wrote:
>
> > Other changes included reducing unsprung weight on the front suspension
> > (by about 5kg) and improved noise insulation.

> Thanks, is there any place one can read that up?

I use old copies of Audi Driver magazine for reference, but I've found
some info he
http://www.newspress.co.uk/np12p/aud.../110701aud.htm

Old July 27th 05, 03:16 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Peter Bell wrote:
> In message <1122470499.922366@news>
> Wolfgang Pawlinetz > wrote:
>

>>Peter Bell wrote:
>>

>>>Other changes included reducing unsprung weight on the front suspension
>>>(by about 5kg) and improved noise insulation.

>>Thanks, is there any place one can read that up?

> I use old copies of Audi Driver magazine for reference, but I've found
> some info he
> http://www.newspress.co.uk/np12p/aud.../110701aud.htm

Hmm. I haven't found any source at Audi to confirm that yet and the
local motorists club doesn't have anything about that either. Many of
the features listed in your link are already in my 1999 version such as
16" brakes and clear headlights. Usually our OEAMTC is pretty fast in
retesting stiffer versions of cars in the EURO NCAP Crash test and
there's nothing on these either.

But anyway, I'll see with the workshop.

Thanks Peter.

Regards

Wolfgang

Forza Car List Rob Berryhill Simulators 19 May 7th 05 11:37 PM
bin laden drives a stang [email protected] Ford Mustang 2 April 24th 05 03:53 PM
"Al Qaeda" does not exist Awake BMW 64 March 10th 05 11:25 AM
Flasher ? for 2001 up/Led Taillights Intergate Jeep 7 February 15th 05 07:00 PM
FS: 1998 McDonalds/Hamilton Collection "Bill Elliott #94 Fan Bear" J.R. Sinclair General 0 December 16th 04 04:24 AM