Fuel tank pinhole

Old March 5th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Fuel tank pinhole

I have an old Mercedes and there is a small pinhole on the side of the gas
tank. It must be pretty small because it only wets the surrounding area
(no dripping). Can I use some epoxy to seal it from the outside?
--
Leon
Old March 5th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I'm sure there will be much advice on this problem. First, there may be
more holes than you have found so far or this may just be the
beginning of the Swiss cheese effect. I've tried various name brand
epoxies for these leaks. The one that heald up indefinitely for me was
the two part epoxy that you knead in your hand. You clean the area and
rough it up a bit. When you apply this product it may not seem like
it's really sticking. Keep working with it and paste it on the area.
Unlike many epoxies, this type shrinks very slightly and grabs the
surface when it cures. If I knew all I had was a pinhole, that's what
I'd do. Then I'd watch it for a few weeks and forget about it.

Old March 6th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Leon,

Do a Google search on gas tank ReNew" It's a franchise with shops that
do the process all over the conutry.
Worked great on my '76 Jaguar.

Ed

Old March 6th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

you should be able to get a tube of - sealall - from walmart for abt. 2
bucks that will do the job when used according to instructions.

m h o
*v ƒe

Old March 6th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 03:44:23 GMT, "Ed"
> wrote:

>Leon,
>
>Do a Google search on gas tank ReNew" It's a franchise with shops that
>do the process all over the conutry.
>Worked great on my '76 Jaguar.
>
>Ed
>"Leon" > wrote in message
>>I have an old Mercedes and there is a small pinhole on the side of
>>the gas
>> tank. It must be pretty small because it only wets the surrounding
>> area
>> (no dripping). Can I use some epoxy to seal it from the outside?
>> --
>> Leon

get apiece of 3/8" fuel line and split a 1" piece of it lengthwise,
run a self tapping screw through it and into the hole. I drove a car
for almost 10 years with 4 of these in it. 2 were on the bottom. never
leaked.
Chip