rear wheel drum on 1999 voyager

Old September 21st 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Default rear wheel drum on 1999 voyager

I am planning to inspect my rear brakes this weekend, as I suspect there
might be a problem back there. I tried briefly to get one rear drum off
a few months ago when I replaced the front brakes, but it was being held
in place somehow and I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.
Before I get into it this Saturday, do you suppose it's just the shoes
getting caught on a ridge in the drum, or is there some kind of sneaky
pin or clip that holds this drum in place?
Old September 21st 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
wrightz28

Robbie and Laura Reynolds Wrote:
> do you suppose it's just the shoes
> getting caught on a ridge in the drum, or is there some kind of sneaky
> pin or clip that holds this drum in place?

More than likely just the shoes caught. You can use a hammer with a
medium amount of effort, and strike the sides of the drum to free them
up. Sometimes it only takes a few times, sometimes alot.

--
wrightz28
wrightz28's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=309970

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 21st 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
NewMan

I don't suppose you had the parking brake on by any chance???

If I recall correctly on my 1994 with rear drums, the style is
different than others I encountered. That is, on some vehicles I have
owned, the drum was NOT a part of the bearing assembly, so when the
wheel was removed, you could simply slide the drum off to gain access
to the brake mechanism.

This was NOT the case on my GC. The bearings are actually part of the
drum assembly. As such, there should be a dust cap over the outer
bearing. Remove the dust cap, then the cotter pin, and pin back the
hex nut. As you spin back the hex nut, you will unload the bearings,
and you should notice the drum fall downward slightly.

All you have to do is remove the nut completely and then the drum
should slide off. The outer bearing was held in by the nut and a
washer. The inner bearing was held in place by a bearing retaining
seal.

I had to do this because I needed to re-pack my rear wheel bearings.
But I did take the opportunity to clean, inspect and adjust my rear
brakes at the same time.

hth

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:43:27 -0500, Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Old September 21st 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

The 1999 model has a separate drum that goes on over the hub assembly.
I've had the older style drums off lots of times, but I've never had to
do anything to this one yet. And the parking brake was off.

Old September 21st 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MT-2500[_29_]

Robbie and Laura Reynolds Wrote:
> I am planning to inspect my rear brakes this weekend, as I suspect
> there
> might be a problem back there. I tried briefly to get one rear drum
> off
> a few months ago when I replaced the front brakes, but it was being
> held
> in place somehow and I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.
> Before I get into it this Saturday, do you suppose it's just the shoes
> getting caught on a ridge in the drum, or is there some kind of sneaky
> pin or clip that holds this drum in place?

Drum brakes have self adjusters. If it will not come off you will need
to back off self adjuster.
You will need a wire or curver object to reach in there and push the
adjuster lever back so you can spin the adjuster wheel back to losen it
up.
Takes a little practice and a repair manual may help.
Good luck.
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930

Old September 21st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:43:27 -0500, Robbie and Laura Reynolds
> wrote:

>I am planning to inspect my rear brakes this weekend, as I suspect there
>might be a problem back there. I tried briefly to get one rear drum off
>a few months ago when I replaced the front brakes, but it was being held
>in place somehow and I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.
>Before I get into it this Saturday, do you suppose it's just the shoes
>getting caught on a ridge in the drum, or is there some kind of sneaky
>pin or clip that holds this drum in place? <snip>

This is FWD. Thus, I'd expect that you're probably trying to take the
wheel bearing off without removing the nut. Take the hub cap off (no,
not the wheel cover) and see if the the drum is riveted to the bearing
hub.
Old September 21st 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ricebike[_6_]

:werd.. there should be an oval rubber plug on the backing plate,
usually near the metal brake line going to the wheel cylinder...
[image:
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...d801a4c1a.gif]

see *#7* ? the thing right in the middle is the star-wheel adjuster...
dunno which way you'll haveta go 50:50 in turning it up or down...

*# 12* is what keeps the shoes adjusted properly to the drums & that's
what's keeping your drum "stuck"... gotta lift this up & turn that
wheel w/ another screwdriver in some cases...

you'll see a ridge on the inner part of the drum when you finally
remove it... adviseable to go have them resurfaced when removed...

-edit: ha, ive found it!- all courtesy to autozone free online repair
manual!

[image:
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/j...d801a4c39.jpg]

rubber plug

[image:
http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/j...d801a4b8b.jpg]

using a special brake tool or flathead screwdriver & a few expletives
should do it!

Newman's case is different since he didn't have the sealed hub-bearing
design...

wright z28's testimony: yeap, my sis' 97 chevy cavalier didn't come w/
that rubber plug in the back & had to bring out a big rubber mallet,
said a few expletives & bang it loose to take the drum off; what were u
thinking GM?!?!

--
ricebike
ricebike's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=361742

Old September 21st 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

DeserTBoB wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:43:27 -0500, Robbie and Laura Reynolds
> > wrote:
>
> >I am planning to inspect my rear brakes this weekend, as I suspect there
> >might be a problem back there. I tried briefly to get one rear drum off
> >a few months ago when I replaced the front brakes, but it was being held
> >in place somehow and I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.
> >Before I get into it this Saturday, do you suppose it's just the shoes
> >getting caught on a ridge in the drum, or is there some kind of sneaky
> >pin or clip that holds this drum in place? <snip>

> This is FWD. Thus, I'd expect that you're probably trying to take the
> wheel bearing off without removing the nut. Take the hub cap off (no,
> not the wheel cover) and see if the the drum is riveted to the bearing
> hub.

Per my other post, the drum comes off without removing the bearing
assembly. Concensus seems to be that there is no hidden attachment
hardware on this drum. Thanks so much.
Old September 21st 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

My nephew was trying to get the drum off a Corolla and I told him to
loosen the adjuster nut. It didn't help, so as a last resort I asked
him for an exact account of everything he had done to get ready for the
job. His list included setting the parking brake. Oops.

I'm sure this one will come right off as soon as I loosen the adjuster.
I was just making sure that there wasn't some tricky clip or retaining
pin in there somewhere.
Old September 22nd 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Matt Whiting

Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote:
> I am planning to inspect my rear brakes this weekend, as I suspect there
> might be a problem back there. I tried briefly to get one rear drum off
> a few months ago when I replaced the front brakes, but it was being held
> in place somehow and I didn't feel like messing with it at the time.
> Before I get into it this Saturday, do you suppose it's just the shoes
> getting caught on a ridge in the drum, or is there some kind of sneaky
> pin or clip that holds this drum in place?

It's the shoes behind the wear ridge. Pull out the rubber plug and use
a large screwdriver to back off the adjuster wheel.

Matt