Help please on changing anti-freeze

Old September 28th 03, 05:16 PM
Rustler

Default Help please on changing anti-freeze

Many years ago I had a car which got a cracked block evidently from putting
cold water into an overheated engine. Ever since, I have been concerned about
putting cold water into a warm engine.

If you start with a cold car, drain the radiator and open the block plugs to
get most of the anti-freeze/water out, then refill with cold water containing a
flushing compound. there's nothing to be concerned about. But if you run the
car for half an hour then drain it out again, according to directions, is it
dangerous to then put in the new antifreeze and cold water? Or, is it a problem
only when the engine has been overheated, for example from a lack of coolant.

If you have this done professionally, they don't seem to worry about draining
and filling a car which has just been brought in off the road.

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.
Old September 29th 03, 03:41 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Rustler wrote:

> But if you run the
> car for half an hour then drain it out again, according to directions, is it
> dangerous to then put in the new antifreeze and cold water?

Normally, the engine will have a thermostat that keeps the coolant temperature
above a certain point (usually 180 or 190 degrees). It should be obvious that
the coolant isn't going to be much higher than 200 degrees, since even pure
antifreeze boils at about 240. Shut down and drain the system, and this will be
roughly the temperature of your block. A temperature difference of 150 or 200
degrees isn't going to stress the metal that much.

> Or, is it a problem
> only when the engine has been overheated, for example from a lack of coolant.

Bingo. Now you're talking differences as high as 1200 degrees. Especially with
cast iron, that's enough to cause fractures.

George Patterson