power steering problem

Old November 22nd 13, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Edwin[_2_]

Default power steering problem

I had some powersteering problems on my 2002 Ford Escort. So I ended up
chaging out the power steering pump. After bleeding it for awhile (turning
wheel back and forth..raised and then sitting) It finnally started working
right. However, after the vehicle sits around for a few hours, the steering
goes right back to hard steering. The only thing I can think of is there is
a leak somewhere sucking in air. I checked under car and no drip spots. Was
wondering if this is due to a bad rack and pinion (it is somewhat old) or
just maybe a pin leak somewhere else. Any help is apreciated

Ed
Old November 22nd 13, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Friday, November 22, 2013 3:49:41 PM UTC-5, Edwin wrote:
> I had some powersteering problems on my 2002 Ford Escort. So I ended up
>
> chaging out the power steering pump. After bleeding it for awhile (turning
>
> wheel back and forth..raised and then sitting) It finnally started working
>
> right. However, after the vehicle sits around for a few hours, the steering
>
> goes right back to hard steering. The only thing I can think of is there is
>
> a leak somewhere sucking in air. I checked under car and no drip spots. Was
>
> wondering if this is due to a bad rack and pinion (it is somewhat old) or
>
> just maybe a pin leak somewhere else. Any help is apreciated
>

> Ed

______

Enjoying that "BMW" feel of your Ford Escort? LOLOL Seriously I wouldn't mind a day in that car! I'd NEVER drift into an adjacent lane on the interstate again.

Yeah, could be a worn out rack, or as you said a leak somewhere in one of the lines.

Old November 22nd 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Make sure the universal joints in the "lower steering shaft" are free/lose. Sometimes the will get rusty and the steering will be hard. Usually if they are bad the hard steering will not come and go, but make sure anyway. If they are fine, replace the rack. Did you pry the inner tie rod boots off and see if any fluid drips out? That is where they usually leak. Even if there isn't any fluid, it needs a rack.
Old November 23rd 13, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Edwin[_2_]

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:49:41 -0500, Edwin wrote:

> I had some powersteering problems on my 2002 Ford Escort. So I ended up
> chaging out the power steering pump. After bleeding it for awhile (turning
> wheel back and forth..raised and then sitting) It finnally started working
> right. However, after the vehicle sits around for a few hours, the steering
> goes right back to hard steering. The only thing I can think of is there is
> a leak somewhere sucking in air. I checked under car and no drip spots. Was
> wondering if this is due to a bad rack and pinion (it is somewhat old) or
> just maybe a pin leak somewhere else. Any help is apreciated
>
> Ed

Well I do notice that when I turn the wheel right all the way to the stops,
that it moves much easier and with some assited power. However, when
turning left it gets choppy and hard to steer at all. Especially when
reaching full left stop.

Ed
Old November 23rd 13, 07:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

Edwin wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:49:41 -0500, Edwin wrote:
>
>> I had some powersteering problems on my 2002 Ford Escort. So I ended up
>> chaging out the power steering pump. After bleeding it for awhile (turning
>> wheel back and forth..raised and then sitting) It finnally started working
>> right. However, after the vehicle sits around for a few hours, the steering
>> goes right back to hard steering. The only thing I can think of is there is
>> a leak somewhere sucking in air. I checked under car and no drip spots. Was
>> wondering if this is due to a bad rack and pinion (it is somewhat old) or
>> just maybe a pin leak somewhere else. Any help is apreciated
>>
>> Ed

> Well I do notice that when I turn the wheel right all the way to the stops,
> that it moves much easier and with some assited power. However, when
> turning left it gets choppy and hard to steer at all. Especially when
> reaching full left stop.
>
> Ed

R&P internal seals are bad. You can re-seal but its better to
just get an entire rebuilt unit due to possible scoring.
Old November 23rd 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:42:23 AM UTC-5, Edwin wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:49:41 -0500, Edwin wrote:
>

> > I had some powersteering problems on my 2002 Ford Escort. So I ended up

> > chaging out the power steering pump. After bleeding it for awhile (turning

> > wheel back and forth..raised and then sitting) It finnally started working

> > right. However, after the vehicle sits around for a few hours, the steering

> > goes right back to hard steering. The only thing I can think of is there is

> > a leak somewhere sucking in air. I checked under car and no drip spots. Was

> > wondering if this is due to a bad rack and pinion (it is somewhat old) or

> > just maybe a pin leak somewhere else. Any help is apreciated

> > Ed

> Well I do notice that when I turn the wheel right all the way to the stops,
>
> that it moves much easier and with some assited power. However, when
>
> turning left it gets choppy and hard to steer at all. Especially when
>
> reaching full left stop.
>

> Ed

____________

How quick is return-from-turns(steering wheel self centering)?

Old November 23rd 13, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Edwin[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 07:34:54 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> On Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:42:23 AM UTC-5, Edwin wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:49:41 -0500, Edwin wrote:
>>

>>> I had some powersteering problems on my 2002 Ford Escort. So I ended up

>>> chaging out the power steering pump. After bleeding it for awhile (turning

>>> wheel back and forth..raised and then sitting) It finnally started working

>>> right. However, after the vehicle sits around for a few hours, the steering

>>> goes right back to hard steering. The only thing I can think of is there is

>>> a leak somewhere sucking in air. I checked under car and no drip spots. Was

>>> wondering if this is due to a bad rack and pinion (it is somewhat old) or

>>> just maybe a pin leak somewhere else. Any help is apreciated

>>> Ed

>> Well I do notice that when I turn the wheel right all the way to the stops,
>>
>> that it moves much easier and with some assited power. However, when
>>
>> turning left it gets choppy and hard to steer at all. Especially when
>>
>> reaching full left stop.
>>

>> Ed

> ____________
>
> How quick is return-from-turns(steering wheel self centering)?

well if you mean how fast from turning wheels from either side... to
center, such as wheels turned fully to the left then going back to center,
is slow and I have to use some arm muscle to get it back to center. (car is
flat on ground stationary and engine running) However, turning the wheels
to the right is much easier. And..easier to bring back to center.

Ed
Old November 23rd 13, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Edwin[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:44:11 -0600, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> Edwin wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:49:41 -0500, Edwin wrote:
>>
>>> I had some powersteering problems on my 2002 Ford Escort. So I ended up
>>> chaging out the power steering pump. After bleeding it for awhile (turning
>>> wheel back and forth..raised and then sitting) It finnally started working
>>> right. However, after the vehicle sits around for a few hours, the steering
>>> goes right back to hard steering. The only thing I can think of is there is
>>> a leak somewhere sucking in air. I checked under car and no drip spots. Was
>>> wondering if this is due to a bad rack and pinion (it is somewhat old) or
>>> just maybe a pin leak somewhere else. Any help is apreciated
>>>
>>> Ed

>> Well I do notice that when I turn the wheel right all the way to the stops,
>> that it moves much easier and with some assited power. However, when
>> turning left it gets choppy and hard to steer at all. Especially when
>> reaching full left stop.
>>
>> Ed

> R&P internal seals are bad. You can re-seal but its better to
> just get an entire rebuilt unit due to possible scoring.

Yeah Im thinking the same thing now. Might as well change it out. Thanks
Old November 23rd 13, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Edwin wrote "well if you mean how fast from turning wheels from either side.... to center, such as wheels turned fully to the left then going back to center, is slow and I have to use some arm muscle to get it back to center. (car is flat on ground stationary and engine running) However, turning the wheels "

Ooookay. Return-from-turns is a function provided by a combination of caster and kingpin(SAI) angle while your veh. is in motion.

In other words, try an experiment: Alone driving the car, no one behind you. Make a right turn onto another street, and let go of the steering wheel.

Does the steeringwheel self-center within a reasonable duration, with little or no assistance from you? That is "return-from-turns". It should also be equal coming back from both sides.

Big ol' Buicks and Ford Tauri return to center slowwwly. Go-carts, BMWs, and Mazda Miatas center quickly, and also weigh nicely going into a turn. Lamborghinis are tight enough as to feel like they are "on rails". Most other vehicles are somewhere in between.
Old November 26th 13, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

On 11/23/2013 3:50 PM, wrote:
> Edwin wrote "well if you mean how fast from turning wheels from either side... to center, such as wheels turned fully to the left then going back to center, is slow and I have to use some arm muscle to get it back to center. (car is flat on ground stationary and engine running) However, turning the wheels "
>
> Ooookay. Return-from-turns is a function provided by a combination of caster and kingpin(SAI) angle while your veh. is in motion.
>
> In other words, try an experiment: Alone driving the car, no one behind you. Make a right turn onto another street, and let go of the steering wheel.
>
> Does the steeringwheel self-center within a reasonable duration, with little or no assistance from you? That is "return-from-turns". It should also be equal coming back from both sides.
>
> Big ol' Buicks and Ford Tauri return to center slowwwly. Go-carts, BMWs, and Mazda Miatas center quickly, and also weigh nicely going into a turn. Lamborghinis are tight enough as to feel like they are "on rails". Most other vehicles are somewhere in between.

The 1975 MG Midget I drove had practically no self-centering, but the
first generation Renault R5 would come back to center with considerable
force.

Worst of all was a relative's 1973 Plymouth Duster - steering felt like
it was not connected to anything (pretty much the same for the brakes) -
what a POS design.

--
T0m $herm@n