What is

Old November 26th 13, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

Default What is

the reason for those steering wheel locks the auto factories install underneath the steering wheels?
Old November 26th 13, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

JR > wrote in
:

> the reason for those steering wheel locks the auto factories install
> underneath the steering wheels?

To prevent theft by making it impossible to steer the car when the key is
not used to start the engine.

--
Tegger
Old November 26th 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:44:17 PM UTC-5, JR wrote:
> the reason for those steering wheel locks the auto factories install underneath the steering wheels?

the reason why cars have zig-zag automatic transimission shifter plates in modern cars instead of a simple STRAIGHT PRNDL1L2?? On my particular car I am always shifting into Neutral instead of into Drive - something I didn't have to look at when I owned a car with a straight shift.
Old November 26th 13, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 2:06:24 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:44:17 PM UTC-5, JR wrote:
>
> > the reason for those steering wheel locks the auto factories install underneath the steering wheels?

> the reason why cars have zig-zag automatic transimission shifter plates in modern cars instead of a simple STRAIGHT PRNDL1L2?? On my particular car I am always shifting into Neutral instead of into Drive - something I didn't have to look at when I owned a car with a straight shift.

Yesterday morning the steering wheel lock in my 1983 Dodge van wouldn't unlock. I worked on it, it won't ever lock again!, I Garantee. Back in the 1970s I owned a 1970 VW van. I was down town getting a haircut, got back in the VW van, the durn steering wheel would't unlock. I could still steer only a little bit, but I managed to get back home to my driveway. Needless to say, I worked on that steering wheel lock too, I never did have any more problems with it.
Old November 26th 13, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

JR wrote:
> the reason for those steering wheel locks the auto factories install underneath the steering wheels?

Two reasons
1 - Parking lock (When you park you're supposed to turn the wheel so the
tires point toward the curb, in the event of parking brake or parking
pawl failure the curb stops the vehicle).

2 - Theft deterrent. Turn wheels toward either direction and it makes it
harder for a thief to steal the car if they hot wire it.

--
Steve W.
Old November 26th 13, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:05:17 PM UTC-6, . wrote:
> "Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:06:24 -0800 (PST),

> > wrote:

> >>the reason why cars have zig-zag automatic transimission shifter plates in

> >>modern cars instead of a simple STRAIGHT PRNDL1L2?? On my particular car

> >>I am always shifting into Neutral instead of into Drive - something I

> >>didn't have to look at when I owned a car with a straight shift.

> > They are not required to be zigzag. My PT has a perfectly straight

> > PRNDL shifter. But some automakers make them zigzag for reasons one

> > can only guess at. I drove a Jeep Patriot that had one of those

> > zigzag shifters and it was impossible to shift the damn thing even for

> > something as normal as backing out of a parking space and then leaving

> > the lot without looking down at it twice, once to get it in R and then

> > a second time to get it into D.

> They're all a form of intelligence test, those that are befuddled
>
> by such "confounded new fangled objects", will probably also
>
> have at least as much trouble with and shouldn't be driving.

Google,,, Problems with steering wheel locks A whole lot of 'befuddled' people out there.
Old November 26th 13, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
.[_14_]

"JR" > wrote in message
>> They're all a form of intelligence test, those that are befuddled
>>
>> by such "confounded new fangled objects", will probably also
>>
>> have at least as much trouble with and shouldn't be driving.

> Google,,, Problems with steering wheel locks
> A whole lot of 'befuddled' people out there.

A whole lot of people out there, such as those who can't
figure out how to post a url, shouldn't be driving.

Old November 26th 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 11/26/2013 2:01 PM, Tegger wrote:
> JR > wrote in
> :
>
>> the reason for those steering wheel locks the auto factories install
>> underneath the steering wheels?
>>

> To prevent theft by making it impossible to steer the car when the key is
> not used to start the engine.

The practical effect has been to eliminate joyriding in
favor of carjacking. One of those hope-n-change things.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>