Question on turn signals

Old July 2nd 06, 04:49 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
[email protected][_1_]

Default Question on turn signals

Is there a standard for color on rear turn signals? Most I see are
amber, presumably to distinguish them from brake lights (as when a
driver is pumping his brakes). But I've noticed that some are also red.
Just tonight, on a Z, I saw the rear turn signal was white. Is this an
after-market change?

Also, in what year did most US automakers change over to amber front
turn signals? 63? 64?

Old July 2nd 06, 10:53 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Andy T.

Sounds like someone put in aftermarket clear lenses - but those lenses
should be used with colored bulbs so they still light up the correct
color. Or often there will be a colored diffuser built into the lens
inside where you can't see it so the lens looks white/clear when the
bulb is not on, but is the correct color when used. If it's lighting
up clear, you're asking for trouble from the police, depending on what
state/city you are in. About the only cars you can get away with having
clear T/S lenses and bulbs are the FRONT ones on 50s/60's vehicles that
were equipped that way new.

Old July 2nd 06, 11:01 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Andy T.

Oops, forgot to add, not sure about US cars, but the VW's I'm familiar
with switched those front bulbs from clear to amber early in the 1964
model year. (around Oct 1963)