Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! ___________mixqec

Old November 12th 04, 03:11 AM
Bill Putney

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>>>Why's that, Bill? Afraid you might accidentally learn something?

>>Oh yes, Daniel. I fear knowledge and learning. Thinking hurts so much.

> Well, c'mon, you present me with a golden opportunity like that and expect
> me not to jump on it? ;-) In all seriousness, I'm sure you can probably
> figure out the difference between a genuine Christian and a
> self-proclaimed phony if you think about it for awhile. Here's food for
> thought to help you get started:
>
> What does it mean to be a Christian? Is it enough just to say "I accept
> Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Saviour?" What if one goes to church
> every Sunday, is *that* enough? How 'bout if one says the words, goes to
> church *and* gives money to Christian charities, would *that* make one a
> Christian?
>
> Or is all of that maybe necessary to varying degrees but not sufficient?
> Is it maybe necessary to walk the walk as well as talking the talk? To
> really spend time and effort thinking "What would Jesus do?"...and then
> spend time and effort doing it?

It matters not what you or I think the criteria should be or whether we
like what the answer is. The criteria is very explicitly spelled out in
two verses.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old November 12th 04, 03:11 AM
Bill Putney

Old November 12th 04, 03:34 AM
Matt Whiting

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, vince garcia wrote:
>

>>>The question is, why does anyone in this country have the right to
>>>"disagree" with, and then legislate against, someone's lifestyle when it
>>>doesn't damage their property or personal liberties?

>>It's called DEMOCRACY.

> No, it's actually called the tyranny of the majority. But why quibble over
> nomenclature?
>

>>I've got a good friend who's irritated that laws have been passed that
>>give people the right to forbid his going into their places of business
>>because he likes to walk around barefoot. He feels he's being
>>discriminated aginst, and you know what? He is!

> Do you know the difference between "discrimination" and "invidious
> discrimination"? I suspect you do not, or you'd realize why a comparison
> to "No shoes, no entry" laws and gay-marriage bans is fatuous at best.
>

>>Allow Gay marriage, and polygamy must also be allowed.

> Perhaps, perhaps not. ...So?

How about marrying your dog? Then your dog could get much better health
benefits, Medicare, etc.

>>Discrimination happens every day, from restricting 10 year-olds from
>>driving, to preventing private citizens from owning Nukes.

> See above, and learn what "invidious" means.
>

>>I face that discrimination every day as a government employee who by law
>>is prevented from working on political campaigns, as one example.

> This also is not invidious.

Neither is restricting legal marriage to a man and a woman.

Matt

Old November 12th 04, 03:34 AM
Matt Whiting

Old November 12th 04, 05:12 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Bill Putney wrote:

> And to the guy who wants to marry his sister, or his dog, or a tree, or
> a rock - what do you tell him?

Ah, Bill's true colors finally show through.

You tell him, Bill, that his dog, his tree or his rock is not sentient and
is therefore unable to give consent, and that family members are
prohibited from intermarrying for medical reasons.

DS
Old November 12th 04, 05:12 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 12th 04, 05:12 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Bill Putney wrote:

> > What does it mean to be a Christian? Is it enough just to say "I
> > accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Saviour?" What if one goes
> > to church every Sunday, is *that* enough? How 'bout if one says the
> > words, goes to church *and* gives money to Christian charities, would
> > *that* make one a Christian? Or is all of that maybe necessary to
> > varying degrees but not sufficient? Is it maybe necessary to walk the
> > walk as well as talking the talk? To really spend time and effort
> > thinking "What would Jesus do?"...and then spend time and effort doing
> > it?

> It matters not

So you're copping out and begging off. Mmkay, that's your prerogative.

DS
Old November 12th 04, 05:12 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 12th 04, 07:39 AM
Abeness

Very well said. I chalk it all up to sloppy thinking, and there's a
shameful amount of that in the world.

Old November 12th 04, 07:39 AM
Abeness