Harder and harder to start

Old August 4th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Eeyore[_2_]

Default Harder and harder to start

Tell me what you think...

'99 Mercury Mountaineer, V-8 5.0L engine, 98K miles.

Lately she's been getting harder and harder to start. As in not REAL
hard, but she cranks for a good 2 seconds before she catches. Once
running, no problems. No recent changes in engine performance or
MPG's. But, gradually and consistently taking longer to start, in all
conditions. Battery's real strong, so that's not it.

I've put in new double platinum spark plugs, had the fuel filter changed,
had the local shop perform a fuel-injector cleaning service, replaced the
air filter, cleaned out the throttle body (it had the sticky accelerator pedal
problem which is now cleared up), put in some fresh Mobil 1 5W-30 and
a new filter.

I even bought her some new tires then told her how pretty she looks...

No change.

Any ideas?

Old August 4th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

Spark plug wires?

Old August 4th 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jimmy the Hand

Eeyore wrote:
> Tell me what you think...
>
> '99 Mercury Mountaineer, V-8 5.0L engine, 98K miles.
>
> Lately she's been getting harder and harder to start. As in not REAL
> hard, but she cranks for a good 2 seconds before she catches. Once
> running, no problems. No recent changes in engine performance or
> MPG's. But, gradually and consistently taking longer to start, in all
> conditions. Battery's real strong, so that's not it.
>
> I've put in new double platinum spark plugs, had the fuel filter changed,
> had the local shop perform a fuel-injector cleaning service, replaced the
> air filter, cleaned out the throttle body (it had the sticky accelerator pedal
> problem which is now cleared up), put in some fresh Mobil 1 5W-30 and
> a new filter.
>
> I even bought her some new tires then told her how pretty she looks...
>
> No change.
>
> Any ideas?

A couple to start with. Check fuel pressure at your rack after you
turn the key on. The fuel pump should run and pressurize the rack
before you start the vehicle. Also, try to get some resistance
measurements on your injectors. Maybe you've got an injector that's
starting to go faulty. Resistance measurements should be listed in any
DIYers repair manual.

Old August 4th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
stevie

had a real similar problem with 2000 V8, 79000 miles.

dealer replaced fuel pump, and possibly some fuel line.

fortunately, it was under extended warranty.

Old August 4th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 19:36:16 -0400, "Eeyore" > wrote:

>Tell me what you think...
>
>'99 Mercury Mountaineer, V-8 5.0L engine, 98K miles.
>
>Lately she's been getting harder and harder to start. As in not REAL
>hard, but she cranks for a good 2 seconds before she catches. Once
>running, no problems. No recent changes in engine performance or
>MPG's. But, gradually and consistently taking longer to start, in all
>conditions. Battery's real strong, so that's not it.
>
>I've put in new double platinum spark plugs, had the fuel filter changed,
>had the local shop perform a fuel-injector cleaning service, replaced the
>air filter, cleaned out the throttle body (it had the sticky accelerator pedal
>problem which is now cleared up), put in some fresh Mobil 1 5W-30 and
>a new filter.
>
>I even bought her some new tires then told her how pretty she looks...
>
>No change.
>
>Any ideas?

Some people have said this can be caused by the fuel check valve and
or line that's inside the tank deteriorating. My 92 periodically does
the same thing. It will do it for a few months and then it goes away.
I had a shop check the fuel pressure, etc and they said the pressure
was OK and could only suggest a new fuel pump based on the possible
check valve issue. For $500 I decided to wait.
Old August 5th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ron B.

If you have up to 40 PSI of fuel pressure and no codes from your
computer try and pull the plug on the TPS. A bad TPS, no power shot of
fuel on start up, can make it hard to start. By pulling the TPS plug the
computer will automatically revert to failure mode and give you your
shot of fuel for start up. Just like the accelerator pump in a
carburated engine. Check for codes and be sure the battery is good with
clean terminals.
Good luck,

Ron

Slow Start Rodney Chrysler 7 October 9th 05 04:10 AM
1986 carbureted Toyota Corolla start problem Snookums Technology 4 October 8th 05 05:17 PM
New engine: starts from second time Karlsson-on-the-Roof Technology 9 September 5th 05 06:37 PM
90 Maita will crank but won't start darylDJ Mazda 3 March 9th 05 01:59 AM