85 MPH: Texas considers highest speed limit in nation

Old April 11th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default 85 MPH: Texas considers highest speed limit in nation

> wrote in message
>I have seen some online UK used cars ads before.Used vehicles for sale,
> usually they mention the vehicle has been MOTd.I reckon that means the
> used vehicle has recently been inspected and is ready for the road.
> cuhulin

Right, the MOT (Ministry of Transportation) evaluation is an inspection
in the UK which covers a wide range of topics including car safety and
emissions. It is illegal to drive the vehicle without a current MOT.

I was surprised that they even fail cars for rusted "sills", which I guess
we call rocker panels (under the doors). Other rust damage and
mechanical damage may also cause a car to fail.

My car failed the EU test the first time because they found cracking
rubber seals on the CV joints and ball joints, and a slight leak at
the valve cover gasket.

While I might not consider these defect a safety hazard or even a
pollution hazard, they do.

Old April 11th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-04-11, hls > wrote:

> wrote in message
>>I have seen some online UK used cars ads before.Used vehicles for sale,
>> usually they mention the vehicle has been MOTd.I reckon that means the
>> used vehicle has recently been inspected and is ready for the road.
>> cuhulin
>>

> Right, the MOT (Ministry of Transportation) evaluation is an inspection
> in the UK which covers a wide range of topics including car safety and
> emissions. It is illegal to drive the vehicle without a current MOT.
>
> I was surprised that they even fail cars for rusted "sills", which I guess
> we call rocker panels (under the doors). Other rust damage and
> mechanical damage may also cause a car to fail.
>
> My car failed the EU test the first time because they found cracking
> rubber seals on the CV joints and ball joints, and a slight leak at
> the valve cover gasket.
>
> While I might not consider these defect a safety hazard or even a
> pollution hazard, they do.

Who benefits from finding it as such? That's why it is so.

Old April 11th 11, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:33:10 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> On 2011-04-11, hls > wrote:
>>
> wrote in message
>>>I have seen some online UK used cars ads before.Used vehicles for sale,
>>> usually they mention the vehicle has been MOTd.I reckon that means the
>>> used vehicle has recently been inspected and is ready for the road.
>>> cuhulin
>>>

>> Right, the MOT (Ministry of Transportation) evaluation is an inspection
>> in the UK which covers a wide range of topics including car safety and
>> emissions. It is illegal to drive the vehicle without a current MOT.
>>
>> I was surprised that they even fail cars for rusted "sills", which I guess
>> we call rocker panels (under the doors). Other rust damage and
>> mechanical damage may also cause a car to fail.
>>
>> My car failed the EU test the first time because they found cracking
>> rubber seals on the CV joints and ball joints, and a slight leak at
>> the valve cover gasket.
>>
>> While I might not consider these defect a safety hazard or even a
>> pollution hazard, they do.

> Who benefits from finding it as such? That's why it is so.

If they are anything like the system used here, they dont do any repairs.
MOT + Ministry of Transport, is a Government department.
Old April 12th 11, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Bret" > wrote in message news:5cjvqc8k8l87>
> If they are anything like the system used here, they dont do any repairs.
> MOT + Ministry of Transport, is a Government department.

MOT does not do the repairs. They specify the tests, and private
garages actually do the evaluations and repairs.
Old April 12th 11, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Roger Blake" > wrote in message
> On 2011-04-11, hls > wrote:
>> While I might not consider these defect a safety hazard or even a
>> pollution hazard, they do.

> Sounds like time for a revolution.

I am too old for a meaningless revolution.

Old April 12th 11, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> "Brent" > wrote in message >
>> I've never seen a deathtrap vehicle doing much more than the posted
>> 55mph and usually lower. They are pretty much self limiting due to
>> self preservation of the driver.

> Not at all, Brent.. People speed on unfit tires, for example, all the
> time.

Wrong. Totally wrong. You are 100% wrong.

Ask me how I know.

--
Tegger
Old April 12th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:28:53 -0500, hls wrote:

> "Bret" > wrote in message news:5cjvqc8k8l87>
>> If they are anything like the system used here, they dont do any repairs.
>> MOT + Ministry of Transport, is a Government department.

> MOT does not do the repairs. They specify the tests, and private
> garages actually do the evaluations and repairs.

Yes I thought so.
Old April 12th 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-04-11, hls > wrote:

> "Bret" > wrote in message news:5cjvqc8k8l87>
>> If they are anything like the system used here, they dont do any repairs.
>> MOT + Ministry of Transport, is a Government department.

> MOT does not do the repairs. They specify the tests, and private
> garages actually do the evaluations and repairs.

And the auto service businesses will get right behind leglislation to get
rid of the MOT system... right?

Old April 12th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bret[_2_]

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:42:39 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> On 2011-04-11, hls > wrote:
>>
>> "Bret" > wrote in message news:5cjvqc8k8l87>
>>> If they are anything like the system used here, they dont do any repairs.
>>> MOT + Ministry of Transport, is a Government department.

>> MOT does not do the repairs. They specify the tests, and private
>> garages actually do the evaluations and repairs.

> And the auto service businesses will get right behind leglislation to get
> rid of the MOT system... right?

Yep sure will, then they will be issuing the Wof and doing the work
Old April 12th 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "hls" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Brent" > wrote in message >
>>> I've never seen a deathtrap vehicle doing much more than the posted
>>> 55mph and usually lower. They are pretty much self limiting due to
>>> self preservation of the driver.

>> Not at all, Brent.. People speed on unfit tires, for example, all the
>> time.
>>

> Wrong. Totally wrong. You are 100% wrong.
>
> Ask me how I know.

OK, Tegg.. Let's hear your version of this story.

Speed Limit: 5 mph gpsman Driving 1 March 19th 11 06:51 PM
Spain Gets Smart - Cuts Highway Speed Limit to 50 mph, City to 25 mph Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] Driving 164 August 23rd 08 05:40 AM
Texas raised speed limit out west to 80 mph... jaybird Driving 41 June 2nd 06 04:18 AM
JUST CRAZY - Texas, naturally, may raise speed limit to 80 laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 58 May 25th 06 09:55 PM
Texas speed limit history John F. Carr Driving 7 November 6th 05 08:29 PM