Transmission Flush At 100K ?

Old May 25th 11, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Transmission Flush At 100K ?

Hi,

Have an 2005 Accord V6 with 100,000 miles on it.

Dealership wants to do a radiator flush, transmission fluid
flush/replace, and new spark plugs.

I remember reading somewhere that it is Not a good idea
to do either the transmission flush or the cooling flush as often it
causes more problems than it fixes. Just best to leave them alone.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, particularly regarding
the transmission flushing.

Also, the plugs are expensive.
Think they would need replacement,even though car runs fine ?

Thanks,
B.
Old May 25th 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/25/2011 12:46 PM, Bob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have an 2005 Accord V6 with 100,000 miles on it.
>
> Dealership wants to do a radiator flush, transmission fluid
> flush/replace, and new spark plugs.
>
> I remember reading somewhere that it is Not a good idea
> to do either the transmission flush or the cooling flush as often it
> causes more problems than it fixes. Just best to leave them alone.
>
> Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, particularly regarding
> the transmission flushing.
>
> Also, the plugs are expensive.
> Think they would need replacement,even though car runs fine ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

don't flush, only drain and fill. per the honda spec. check tegger.com
for the honda factory tsb's that re-state this.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 25th 11, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Have an 2005 Accord V6 with 100,000 miles on it.
>
> Dealership wants to do a radiator flush, transmission fluid flush/replace,
> and new spark plugs.
>
> I remember reading somewhere that it is Not a good idea
> to do either the transmission flush or the cooling flush as often it
> causes more problems than it fixes. Just best to leave them alone.
>
> Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, particularly regarding the
> transmission flushing.
>
> Also, the plugs are expensive.
> Think they would need replacement,even though car runs fine ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

Honda dealerships have recommended tranny flushes in some cases where
the transmission had begun to give erratic results.. My son had his done
rather than replace the tranny, and in his case it worked.

I have never seen a properly done cooling system flush cause any problems.

Plugs are expensive, but eventually you have to replace them. Pay me now
or pay me later. Often, plugs run for such a long interval will open up
gap,
and will deteriorate.. Considering you have 100K on this one, I think your
plugs are pretty well amortized.

Old May 25th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Bob > wrote in :

> Hi,
>
> Have an 2005 Accord V6 with 100,000 miles on it.
>
> Dealership wants to do a radiator flush,

Unneeded. Just drain block and rad, flush with plain water, refill with
genuine Honda coolant, and no other kind.

> transmission fluid flush/replace,

Unneeded. Just drain and fill with genuine Honda Z-1 according to the
Owner's Manual.

> and new spark plugs.

Needed. Replace with OEM-spec: Denso or NGK only!

> I remember reading somewhere that it is Not a good idea
> to do either the transmission flush or the cooling flush as often it
> causes more problems than it fixes. Just best to leave them alone.
>
> Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, particularly regarding
> the transmission flushing.

Honda prohibits "flushes" that use solvents. Honda specifies properly-
performed drains and fills using ONLY the correct Honda-specific ATF.

> Also, the plugs are expensive.
> Think they would need replacement,even though car runs fine ?

The engine may "run fine", but the electrodes are eroded and worn. Spark
plugs are a consumable, like engine oil. Replace them before the Check
Engine light comes on.

Think of it this way: you got 6 years and 100K miles out of the original
plugs. Spend $100 on new ones, and that's $17 per year, or a tenth-of-a-
cent per mile.

--
Tegger
Old May 26th 11, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

In article >, Bob > wrote:
>Have an 2005 Accord V6 with 100,000 miles on it.
>
>Dealership wants to do a radiator flush, transmission fluid
>flush/replace, and new spark plugs.

It's overdue for all of these things. I'd have done the transmission
a few miles ago.

>I remember reading somewhere that it is Not a good idea
>to do either the transmission flush or the cooling flush as often it
>causes more problems than it fixes. Just best to leave them alone.

Just change the transmission fluid, there is no reason to do anything
fancy.

If you have a filthy old transmission that has not been well maintained,
a fluid change or flush will move gunk around and may cause problems.
The solution to prevent this is to keep it from getting filthy in the
first place and you get there by changing your fluid.

>Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, particularly regarding
>the transmission flushing.
>
>Also, the plugs are expensive.
>Think they would need replacement,even though car runs fine ?

When were they last changed? I'd do it now if the schedule says to do it
now, because when the car stops running fine is going to be when you're
trying to get somewhere important.
--scott

Old May 26th 11, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve Austin[_2_]

On 5/25/2011 3:46 PM, Bob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have an 2005 Accord V6 with 100,000 miles on it.
>
> Dealership wants to do a radiator flush, transmission fluid
> flush/replace, and new spark plugs.
>
> I remember reading somewhere that it is Not a good idea
> to do either the transmission flush or the cooling flush as often it
> causes more problems than it fixes. Just best to leave them alone.
>
> Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, particularly regarding
> the transmission flushing.
>
> Also, the plugs are expensive.
> Think they would need replacement,even though car runs fine ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

Wait for the misfire and catalytic converter replacement before you
change the plugs.

Cost of a transmission FLUSH? Moochie Technology 18 June 13th 06 09:28 PM
Transmission flush methods [email protected] Technology 6 June 5th 06 09:55 PM
"Transmission Flush": Needed ? Robert11 Technology 3 August 3rd 05 11:40 PM
transmission flush Reet 4x4 6 May 27th 05 05:51 AM
Transmission flush harmful? jbourgeois Honda 0 December 5th 04 11:57 PM