Engine rebuild/replacement

Old May 28th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BSAKing

Default Engine rebuild/replacement

In a previous thread I went through the machinations associated with
determining if I had a bad cam or not on my old Vette. It turns out I
have so it needs to be replaced.

With some egging on from some chums, I have decided to go ahead and
pull the engine and try replace it, and lifters of course, etc.

As part of it, I tried to do the market survey to see what the options
were.

A rebuilt motor is about 2-2500 around here (SBC 350), plus you'd have
to get it put in.

I went to a dealer and a couple of garages and surprisingly, they
could not quote me a price to fix the engine, or replace it with a
replacement. The local garage does not do that sort of thing any more,
only peripheral types of repairs (brakes, etc) - not the heavy duty
ones like this. The dealer just told me about $100/hr - as long as it
takes.

I admit I am a rank amateur for sure, but there is a lot to be removed
to do all this and irrespective of experience, I figure I must be
looking at 15-20 hrs labor to do all of this, which put me into the
$4000+ range for a replacement engine and $1500+ just to repair it.
Obviously if I could replace the cam with the engine in a could get
away with not removing as much, but this way I can take a good look at
all the subsystems as well. Steering hoses, fuel, vacuum hoses, etc.

Just wondering if I am all wet with that cost assessment to have it
done. I decided to try pull it and do it for about $500 in parts and
go through all the old hoses and such at the same time as it is out,
so it is all moot.

I'm just curious.
Old May 28th 11, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Sat, 28 May 2011 11:24:54 -0700 (PDT), BSAKing >
wrote:

>In a previous thread I went through the machinations associated with
>determining if I had a bad cam or not on my old Vette. It turns out I
>have so it needs to be replaced.
>
>With some egging on from some chums, I have decided to go ahead and
>pull the engine and try replace it, and lifters of course, etc.
>
>As part of it, I tried to do the market survey to see what the options
>were.
>
>A rebuilt motor is about 2-2500 around here (SBC 350), plus you'd have
>to get it put in.
>
>I went to a dealer and a couple of garages and surprisingly, they
>could not quote me a price to fix the engine, or replace it with a
>replacement. The local garage does not do that sort of thing any more,
>only peripheral types of repairs (brakes, etc) - not the heavy duty
>ones like this. The dealer just told me about $100/hr - as long as it
>takes.
>
>I admit I am a rank amateur for sure, but there is a lot to be removed
>to do all this and irrespective of experience, I figure I must be
>looking at 15-20 hrs labor to do all of this, which put me into the
>$4000+ range for a replacement engine and $1500+ just to repair it.
>Obviously if I could replace the cam with the engine in a could get
>away with not removing as much, but this way I can take a good look at
>all the subsystems as well. Steering hoses, fuel, vacuum hoses, etc.
>
>Just wondering if I am all wet with that cost assessment to have it
>done. I decided to try pull it and do it for about $500 in parts and
>go through all the old hoses and such at the same time as it is out,
>so it is all moot.
>
>I'm just curious.

Think we discussed this earlier.
You'll spend about $4k to have a rebuilt 350 put in.
Find a good independent shop that does that.
Ask around.
But you still have a rebuilt, quality can vary and there's no way to
know.
If you do the rebuild yourself, jobbing out the heads, crank
polishing, miking parts, etc, you'll be in for many, many hours
of work and still probably spend $1500 to do a good rebuild.
Even then, make sure the head shop does good work.
Nothing like "new," but you can't get new 350's any more.
Personally, if I really wanted to keep the car and had the bucks,
I'd find a good shop and let them do it all.
While you're at it, see if you can mate a more modern 350 to your
Vette. The Vette guys should know all about it.
Depending on your desire to keep that car and your finances, you
should think hard about unloading it and moving to something else.
Bottom line is deciding if you need it or it's just a money pit.

--Vic
Old May 29th 11, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On May 28, 2:55*pm, Vic Smith > wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 11:24:54 -0700 (PDT), BSAKing >
> wrote:
>

> >In a previous thread I went through the machinations associated with
> >determining if I had a bad cam or not on my old Vette. It turns out I
> >have so it needs to be replaced.

> >With some egging on from some chums, I have decided to go ahead and
> >pull the engine and try replace it, and lifters of course, etc.

> >As part of it, I tried to do the market survey to see what the options
> >were.

> >A rebuilt motor is about 2-2500 around here (SBC 350), plus you'd have
> >to get it put in.

> >I went to a dealer and a couple of garages and surprisingly, they
> >could not quote me a price to fix the engine, or replace it with a
> >replacement. The local garage does not do that sort of thing any more,
> >only peripheral types of repairs (brakes, etc) *- not the heavy duty
> >ones like this. The dealer just told me about $100/hr - as long as it
> >takes.

> >I admit I am a rank amateur for sure, but there is a lot to be removed
> >to do all this and irrespective of experience, I figure I must be
> >looking at 15-20 hrs labor to do all of this, which put me into the
> >$4000+ range for a replacement engine and $1500+ just to repair it.
> >Obviously if I could replace the cam with the engine in a could get
> >away with not removing as much, but this way I can take a good look at
> >all the subsystems as well. Steering *hoses, fuel, vacuum hoses, etc.

> >Just wondering if I am all wet with that cost assessment to have it
> >done. I decided to try pull it and do it for about $500 in parts and
> >go through all the old hoses and such at the same time as it is out,
> >so it is all moot.

> >I'm just curious.

> Think we discussed this earlier.
> You'll spend about $4k to have a rebuilt 350 put in.
> Find a good independent shop that does that.
> Ask around.
> But you still have a rebuilt, quality can vary and there's no way to
> know.
> If you do the rebuild yourself, jobbing out the heads, crank
> polishing, miking parts, etc, you'll be in for many, many hours
> of work and still probably spend $1500 to do a good rebuild.
> Even then, make sure the head shop does good work.
> Nothing like "new," but you can't get new 350's any more.
> Personally, if I really wanted to keep the car and had the bucks,
> I'd find a good shop and let them do it all.
> While you're at it, see if you can mate a more modern 350 to your
> Vette. *The Vette guys should know all about it.
> Depending on your desire to keep that car and your finances, you
> should think hard about unloading it and moving to something else.
> Bottom line is deciding if you need it or it's just a money pit.
>
> --Vic

Be sure you get your original Corvette parts back, or there goes the
value to a collector. My friend swapped his original Corvette 454 for
just an ordinary 454, and there went his resale value.
Old May 30th 11, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Runk[_2_]

If ya decide to go it your self ,and if it's not your daily driver and you
can do it leisurely . I'd check with Jasper Engines . The last motor I
changed out , they delivered it to my garage door (long block) on a platform
,waited till I phoned them I was done and had the old engine bolted back on
the platform and picked it up no fuss no muss. Plus a 3 year warranty ....

Old May 31st 11, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
BSAKing

It's not a daily driver (although I drive it when and where I want - I
just don't need it for daily transportation) and it's just a tinker
toy, so no real pressure. I'm not really a hard driver type nor a real
mechanical type doing this for the sake of doing it - I just need the
thing to go from point A to B when I want it, in an affordable manner.

I really don't plan on a "Full" rebuild, just the cam and the
associated things. If it runs when I'm done with it - great. If not
well - I'll figure something else out - maybe just sell it to the
highest bidder and get something else, or not.

I have never done this type of thing before so I'll either experience
the thrill of victory, or the agony of defeat. lol.

See how it goes.....
Old May 31st 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

..
> Nothing like "new," but you can't get new 350's any more.

Really?
Last I checked GM would happily sell you a brand new Goodwrench 350
for less than $2000.
Its certainly worth looking into..

HTH
Ben
Old May 31st 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Tue, 31 May 2011 07:38:58 -0700 (PDT), ben91932
> wrote:

>.
>> Nothing like "new," but you can't get new 350's any more.

>Really?
>Last I checked GM would happily sell you a brand new Goodwrench 350
>for less than $2000.
>Its certainly worth looking into..
>
>HTH
>Ben

You're right. Don't know how I missed that.
You've solved the OP's problem.
That's what I'd put in the Vette.

--Vic
Old June 3rd 11, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"ben91932" > wrote in message
> .
>> Nothing like "new," but you can't get new 350's any more.

> Really?
> Last I checked GM would happily sell you a brand new Goodwrench 350
> for less than $2000.
> Its certainly worth looking into..
>
> HTH
> Ben

Ive had engines boiled out, machined, bored, balanced,
with new pistons and other parts for $750.

Same machine shops will assemble for you if you want, for
a little more.

Good as new? Probably, or maybe better.

Old June 3rd 11, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Check the automotive machine shops in your area.
cuhulin

Rebuild engine Dave[_38_] VW water cooled 11 May 10th 07 02:11 PM
Engine Rebuild tricky VW air cooled 10 July 27th 06 06:08 PM
A2 Engine Rebuild David Abineri VW water cooled 2 September 14th 05 12:35 AM
engine rebuild Pi-eyed Piper Jeep 10 February 26th 05 03:18 AM
Engine rebuild Jai Corvette 4 August 30th 04 03:57 AM