Belt or Chains

Old June 12th 05, 10:48 AM
Paul Aspinall

Default Belt or Chains

Hi
Does anyone know if Audi use Belts or Chains in their engines?? In
particular, I'm thinking about the A8 / S8 engine from 2000.

What are the change intervals for this?

Thanks

Paul

Old June 15th 05, 03:57 PM
Dano58

I BELIEVE that the Audi V8's used belts - but I also believe that the
B6 S4 V8 uses a chain in the rear of the engine - to make it shorter to
fit into the smaller engine bay. Not sure if that change was also made
to the other V8 engined models.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old June 15th 05, 04:00 PM
Dano58

After adding that, I went to Audiworld and confirmed that the V8 does
indeed use a belt - look here -

http://www.audiworld.com/model/historical.html

and here is the info on the V8 for MY 2000 -

DOHC, belt driven, hydraulic lifters / 3 path variable intake
manifold roller camshaft followers, variable intake camshaft timing

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA