Changing automatic transaxle fluid and filter

Old October 16th 04, 06:22 PM
BJ

Default Changing automatic transaxle fluid and filter

What is the procedure for changing the automatic transaxle fluid and filter
on a 1993 SL2.
Thanks,
Bob

Old October 17th 04, 04:58 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article
"BJ" > wrote:

> What is the procedure for changing the automatic transaxle fluid and filter
> on a 1993 SL2.

Warm it up, shut off. Drain old fluid (there's a plug - something I
wish was mandated on automatics). I think the filter's a spin on, too.
About the only nice thing about the TAAT.

No need to drop any pan or stuff like that.
Old October 17th 04, 05:43 AM
James1549

>What is the procedure for changing the automatic transaxle fluid and filter
>on a 1993 SL2.

Bob, There is a drain plug on the bottom of the trans case. Also if you remove
the fresh air intake tube that runs across the upper radiator, the spin-on
filter can be changed very easy. Be sure to have a pan under it.

Personally when I am done draining everything, I put all the fluid in a bucket
with measuring marks. Add that same amount of fluid back in, then drive and be
sure the level is proper after trans is at operating temp.

I usually buy my filter at Saturn, even though it is a Saturn brand with Fram
name on it in small print.

Fram #P6646
Saturn #21003298

James
Old October 17th 04, 08:48 PM
Oppie

Thanks for clearing that up for me. When I bought the L series, a mechanic
friend (not yet familiar with L series) said, "that's great, they have an
external transmission filter and a drain plug." I went looking for such when
I did the first engine oil change and could not find them. So, it seems that
on the L series (not what the OP has asked about) one has to drop the pan to
drain and change the filter. They SHOULD mandate at least a drain on ATs...