'86 Golf Diesel

Old September 19th 04, 01:28 PM
dave

Default '86 Golf Diesel

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Cheap...lowPlugs.shtml

>If it suddenly got hard to start, I would suspect the fusible link that
>supplies power to all 4 plugs. Usually they will start fairly well w/ 3
>plugs, with difficulty with 2 plugs.
>
>--
> Roger

Yeah what Roger said, but what is an "astonomical amount"? $200 parts and
labor??

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old September 20th 04, 06:07 PM
Tony Bad

"dave" > wrote in message
> >From: Roger Brown
> >
> >bob wrote:
> >>
> >> Can you tell me how to tell if the glow plugs need replacing - the car

> >won't start and i suspect that a glow plug or two needs relpacing.
> >>
> >> Same thing happpen about a year ago and we paid an astonomical amout to

> >have 2 relpaced, and don't want to pay that amount again...
> >>
> >> Thanks

> >You can test and replace them yourself fairly easily:

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Cheap...lowPlugs.shtml

> >If it suddenly got hard to start, I would suspect the fusible link that
> >supplies power to all 4 plugs. Usually they will start fairly well w/ 3
> >plugs, with difficulty with 2 plugs.
> >
> >--
> > Roger
> >

> Yeah what Roger said, but what is an "astonomical amount"? $200 parts and
> labor??
>
> later,
> dave
> Reminder........
> Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
> when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
> shoes. Frieda Norris

I am also wondering who would replace just 2? If two are gone, I'd do all at the
same time. The parts are not that expensive.

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old September 20th 04, 08:05 PM
dave

snip

>I am also wondering who would replace just 2? If two are gone, I'd do all at
>the
>same time. The parts are not that expensive.
>
>-

Remember that 2 are very easy to get to and can be changed in about 15 minutes.
<g>
I agree with you though..........change all four.
I found another use for my GearWrench wrenches......they make this job go
really fast and easy!!

Old September 20th 04, 08:31 PM
Tony Bad

"dave" > wrote in message

> >-

> Remember that 2 are very easy to get to and can be changed in about 15

minutes.
> <g>
> I agree with you though..........change all four.
> I found another use for my GearWrench wrenches......they make this job go
> really fast and easy!!
> later,
> dave

Good point! They probably pondered removing the injector pump and bailed!

Old November 16th 04, 08:48 PM
Linux Boone

Tony Bad wrote:
> "dave" > wrote in message
>
>>>-

>>Remember that 2 are very easy to get to and can be changed in about 15

> minutes.
>
>> <g>
>>I agree with you though..........change all four.
>>I found another use for my GearWrench wrenches......they make this job go
>>really fast and easy!!
>>later,
>>dave

> Good point! They probably pondered removing the injector pump and bailed!

I just replaced all four (Autolite $10.00 each at Advance Auto)
yesterday and it took me about 3 hours. You'll need an 8mm wrench (a
5/16 will work) for the bus bar nuts, a 12mm line wrench for the glow
plugs, and a 17mm line wrench for the injector fuel lines. If you get
tired of dropping the bus bar nuts when reassembling, try spraying some
disc break quiet on your finger and sticking the nut to it. Do not over
tighten these nuts as the stud breaks easily.

Since it's that time of year, I'd replace the fuel filter ($30.00 at
Advance Auto).

Does anyone know where the 50a glow plug link is on a 1986 Golf Diesel?
It was on the firewall for my 1982 and I've heard that they can be
under the dash but I've never been successful in locating it.

Old November 16th 04, 08:48 PM
Linux Boone

Old November 17th 04, 12:58 AM
Kevin

hey guys,
I need to change glow plugs in 84 Jetta. I think I need to remove
the fuel lines to get to two of them. Is there any gaskets or
seals needed to go back on the fuel lines?
Those 2 glow plugs seem very hard to get to. Also any pointers,
as I have never changed glow plugs on any vehicle before.
Thanks,
kevin

Diesel CR-V??? Ramscape Honda 0 January 10th 05 02:50 AM
77 GMC Sierra diesel 4x4 questions Aegeas 4x4 1 October 20th 04 07:54 AM
Is all diesel the same? Jonno Audi 4 May 18th 04 07:55 PM
Any word on US versions of the diesel Jeep Liberty or diesel Land Rover Discovery? Exit 4x4 36 January 20th 04 04:12 PM