Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

Old January 7th 10, 01:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

Default Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

Most cars, now days, have baffles and such to prevent
siphons. I'd suggest to keep a 5 gal gascan in your trunk,
and fill it when you fill. Pour that gasoline into her tank
when you have a moment. That will take some of the strain
off her fuel bill.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William Brammer" > wrote in
message ...
Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one
vehicle to
another in a garage?

My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while
I get my gas
at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so)
from my tank
to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

Old January 7th 10, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Frank

On 1/7/2010 8:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
> Most cars, now days, have baffles and such to prevent
> siphons. I'd suggest to keep a 5 gal gascan in your trunk,
> and fill it when you fill. Pour that gasoline into her tank
> when you have a moment. That will take some of the strain
> off her fuel bill.

I'll add a couple of more comments.
The new gasoline containers regulated here in DE are a real PITA - slow
to pour and often spill the gas they were meant to store without fumes
or spillage.
And, running around town to buy the cheapest gas is often not cost
effective. You may save a nickle a gallon but burn a gallon going out
of your way.
Old January 7th 10, 01:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
William Brammer

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:46:10 GMT, Joe wrote:

> Wouldn't it be easier just to switch the station at which you fill
> up? (or to take her car to put some less expensive gas in it)

I switch stations all the time but my wife does not. I work near Costco
which is only about $2.90 a gallon nowadays while the gas stations she goes
to are $3.10 or so. We live very far (20- miles) from the nearest gas
station. She would love it if the "gas tank just filled itself".

She grew up in the only state in the USA that has true self serve (where
you stay in the car the whole time) and she hates those "cash only"
stations that make you wait in line at the checkout twice just to fill up.
So she goes to the expensive fill up stations which are more convenient and
closer to where she shops.

Of course as you suggested, I could just go out at 6am or 11pm and simply
take her car out for gas, it would be much less work to just fill up her
car from a tank at home.

I considered buying a 500 gallon gasoline tank but then I learned that gas
goes stale so that would only be useful for commercial establishments.

Anyway, there must be someone else with a similar problem that has found a
workable solution.

Old January 7th 10, 01:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
William Brammer

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:31:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

> Or why doesn't just have a peek at her gas gauge once in a while, and if
> it's getting low, go get the tank filled for her.

To make a 40-mile round trip "just" to fill up a gas tank doesn't seem
viable.

Old January 7th 10, 02:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:57:46 -0800, William Brammer
> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:46:10 GMT, Joe wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it be easier just to switch the station at which you fill
>> up? (or to take her car to put some less expensive gas in it)

>I switch stations all the time but my wife does not. I work near Costco
>which is only about $2.90 a gallon nowadays while the gas stations she goes
>to are $3.10 or so. We live very far (20- miles) from the nearest gas
>station. She would love it if the "gas tank just filled itself".
>
>She grew up in the only state in the USA that has true self serve (where
>you stay in the car the whole time) and she hates those "cash only"
>stations that make you wait in line at the checkout twice just to fill up.
>So she goes to the expensive fill up stations which are more convenient and
>closer to where she shops.
>
>Of course as you suggested, I could just go out at 6am or 11pm and simply
>take her car out for gas, it would be much less work to just fill up her
>car from a tank at home.
>
>I considered buying a 500 gallon gasoline tank but then I learned that gas
>goes stale so that would only be useful for commercial establishments.
>
>Anyway, there must be someone else with a similar problem that has found a
>workable solution.

Never had that problem where I live, as there are many options.
Seem the easiest option is to switch cars when she gets low, and fill
hers up at the Costco.
Of course one of you may find reason to reject that option.
Which means it just ain't that important.
Any gas transfer scheme is plain stupid, both from the cost and safety
perspectives.

--Vic

Old January 7th 10, 02:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
William Brammer

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:56:32 -0500, Frank wrote:

> The new gasoline containers regulated here in DE are a real PITA - slow
> to pour and often spill the gas they were meant to store without fumes
> or spillage.

I wish, oh how I wish, I could find on the Internet a gasoline container
like the old style! (two holes ... a capped vent and a pour spout). Out
herre, we have these CARB-mandated gas cans which are "supposed" to prevent
fumes.

I never spilled so much gasoline in my life. I guess I could find a
10-gallon gas can somewhere, and that might work as you suggested.

> And, running around town to buy the cheapest gas is often not cost
> effective.

I drive by a Costco every morning and evening so that's where I get the
cheapest gas (it's less than $2.90/gallon where, in town, nothing is less
than $3.08 and many are more).
Old January 7th 10, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Use her car once a week and gas it up.

Old January 7th 10, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Stormin Mormon[_2_]

NYS also has the gascans with spring loaded vapor trapping
spout. I usually screw the spout off, and pour through a
funnel.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old January 7th 10, 02:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
DerbyDad03

On Jan 7, 7:31*am, Tegger > wrote:
> ransley > wrote :
>
> > On Jan 7, 2:25 am, William Brammer > wrote:
> >> Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle
> >> to another in a garage?

> >> My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my
> >> gas at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.

> >> I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my
> >> tank to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).

> >> Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?

> > My car I cant even get a siphon hose into, its a theft saftey device,
> > probably one of your cars has it. It would still be best to get her to
> > switch for other reasons.

> Or why doesn't just have a peek at her gas gauge once in a while, and if
> it's getting low, go get the tank filled for her.
>
> He will accomplish two, and possibly three, things that way:
> 1) Get cheaper gas in her car,
> 2) Look like a kind, caring and considerate husband, and
> 3) possibly get more sex on account of #2.
>
> A win all around, I say.
>
> --
> Tegger

" 3) possibly get more sex on account of #2.

A win all around, I say."

Except perhaps for the wife. ;-)
Old January 7th 10, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
George[_15_]

On 1/7/2010 09:12, William Brammer wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:56:32 -0500, Frank wrote:
>
>> The new gasoline containers regulated here in DE are a real PITA - slow
>> to pour and often spill the gas they were meant to store without fumes
>> or spillage.

> I wish, oh how I wish, I could find on the Internet a gasoline container
> like the old style! (two holes ... a capped vent and a pour spout). Out
> herre, we have these CARB-mandated gas cans which are "supposed" to prevent
> fumes.
>
> I never spilled so much gasoline in my life. I guess I could find a
> 10-gallon gas can somewhere, and that might work as you suggested.

Well silly you aren't supposed to use it for filling your car. You are
supposed to go and buy the cans that algore says you can't have to do
that...