Do it yourself alignment

Old July 12th 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Do it yourself alignment

Can I purchase a caster/camber guage and do my own alignment at home? I have a 1990 mustang, 2007 escape and a 2013 silverado.

Right now I am mainly interested in the 1990 mustang as I have to replace the struts and steering rack but it would be nice to be able to do all of them at home whenever tires have to be replaced.

I appreciate it!
Old July 12th 13, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:17:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Can I purchase a caster/camber guage and do my own alignment at home? I have a 1990 mustang, 2007 escape and a 2013 silverado.
>

> Right now I am mainly interested in the 1990 mustang as I have to replace the struts and steering rack but it would be nice to be able to do all of them at home whenever tires have to be replaced.
>

> I appreciate it!

Well, I recently replaced the tires and the inside edge of the driver's side front tire was wore down, in one area I could see the steel belt. I just figured the castor or camber needed adjusted.

Is there a place to find the factory settings for cars?
Old July 12th 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 07/12/2013 04:26 PM, Brent wrote:
> On 2013-07-12, > wrote:
>> On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:17:11 AM UTC-5,
>> wrote:
>>> Can I purchase a caster/camber guage and do my own alignment at
>>> home? I have a 1990 mustang, 2007 escape and a 2013 silverado.
>>>

>>> Right now I am mainly interested in the 1990 mustang as I have to
>>> replace the struts and steering rack but it would be nice to be
>>> able to do all of them at home whenever tires have to be
>>> replaced.
>>>

>>> I appreciate it!

>> Well, I recently replaced the tires and the inside edge of the
>> driver's side front tire was wore down, in one area I could see the
>> steel belt. I just figured the castor or camber needed adjusted.

> Likely either a ball joint or tie-rod end is worn out. Check.

Well, if he's replacing the steering rack, I'd say it would be false
economy not to just put two new tie rod ends on at the same time... but
that's just me.

But yes, might as well make sure the ball joints are good as well. Also
LCA bushings, not sure how common it is for them to go bad on that
chassis though. Fortunately being a popular chassis a full bushing kit,
if you need it, is probably not grossly expensive.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 12th 13, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2013-07-12, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 07/12/2013 04:26 PM, Brent wrote:
>> On 2013-07-12, > wrote:

>>> Well, I recently replaced the tires and the inside edge of the
>>> driver's side front tire was wore down, in one area I could see the
>>> steel belt. I just figured the castor or camber needed adjusted.

>> Likely either a ball joint or tie-rod end is worn out. Check.

> Well, if he's replacing the steering rack, I'd say it would be false
> economy not to just put two new tie rod ends on at the same time... but
> that's just me.
>
> But yes, might as well make sure the ball joints are good as well. Also
> LCA bushings, not sure how common it is for them to go bad on that
> chassis though. Fortunately being a popular chassis a full bushing kit,
> if you need it, is probably not grossly expensive.

I replaced the lower control arms on my '97 at ~190K miles. Ball joints
were still good, bushings had decayed however. Thanks Chicago weather...
Given how inexpensively I was able to buy updated OEM cobra LCA
assemblies at the time it didn't make sense to screw around replacing
bushings.

Old July 14th 13, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
bob

On 7/13/2013 10:23 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 07/13/2013 10:15 AM, bob wrote:

>>> I replaced the lower control arms on my '97 at ~190K miles. Ball joints
>>> were still good, bushings had decayed however. Thanks Chicago weather...
>>> Given how inexpensively I was able to buy updated OEM cobra LCA
>>> assemblies at the time it didn't make sense to screw around replacing
>>> bushings.
>>>

>> On FOrds, its NOT uncommon to have the springs break off in chunks on
>> the struts. This will cause camber issues and inner tire wear. If the
>> car has struts, look closely at the top and bottom of the spring for
>> any jagged or irregular edges. If you see any (along with much rust
>> on the springs) its quick strut time or new spring time.
>>
>> bob

> I'd be inclined to buy new springs from the dealership, because
> generally (not always) multiple different spring options for a given
> vehicle/option combination. However when you buy quick struts you
> generally get "six or V-8"
>
> Or this could be the perfect excuse to get that set of sport springs you
> wanted anyway (which is probably cheaper than buying anything from a
> dealership)
>
> BTW the effect above I have seen happen on VWs as well, although usually
> when they hit the 20+ year mark and also several hundreds of thousands
> of miles. You don't think of big beefy things like coil springs having
> a finite lifespan but add in some road salt and less than perfect
> coatings...
>
> nate

Its strange how manufacturer think. Ford had a limited recall on
breaking springs on some years of taurus that would puncture tires
and cause a very real issue of loss of control and accident.
There solution? Not to replace the spring, but put a shroud
around it so it would supposedly not puncture the tire
Go figure...

Old July 14th 13, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

bob wrote:

> Its strange how manufacturer think. Ford had a limited recall on
> breaking springs on some years of taurus that would puncture tires
> and cause a very real issue of loss of control and accident.
> There solution? Not to replace the spring, but put a shroud
> around it so it would supposedly not puncture the tire
> Go figure...

Sounds like the current Jeep recall, Lets fit them with tow hitches to
protect the gas tank.....

--
Steve W.