Radials for 71 Matador

Old January 29th 14, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Radials for 71 Matador

Tegger wrote: "The problem is that the OP wants to retain the original appearance, which requires 14" wheels and tires.

--
Tegger "

The problem is that SCTV1 lives in a country where the Supreme Soviet has decreed that 14" rims are suitable only for trailers.

Perhaps he should move to the United States.
Old January 29th 14, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2014-01-29, Tegger > wrote:
> The problem is that the OP wants to retain the original appearance, which
> requires 14" wheels and tires.

Then it's probably going to be off to Coker, those big 14" sizes are
near impossible to find through normal retail channels these days.

I can see sticking with all original for a show/collector vehicle, but
for a driver I would side with practicality. (One could always install
15" wheel covers from another AMC model, like an Eagle or older Rambler,
to at least keep the appearance in the family.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Old January 29th 14, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_4_]

Roger Blake > wrote in
:

> (One could always install
> 15" wheel covers from another AMC model, like an Eagle or older
> Rambler, to at least keep the appearance in the family.

I think that's a pretty good suggestion. He can try Hemmings Motor News for
old AMC stuff.

--
Tegger
Old January 29th 14, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2014-01-29, Tegger > wrote:
> I think that's a pretty good suggestion. He can try Hemmings Motor News for
> old AMC stuff.

I put Eagle wheel covers on my Ambo wagon and while obviously not stock
they look just fine.

The rims are easy, a 15" set from a rear-drive Dodge Diplomat fit perfectly
and are still not tough too tough to find. That's what I used, they were
cheap and and it was a simple "plug and play" operation.

Ford rims from a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis have the same bolt pattern
as AMC and it would be even easier to score a set, but the center holes
are a little too small and would have to be enlarged to fit on an AMC
vehicle.

Obviously 15" rims from an early Rambler would fit as well, but those are
tougher to find and are also very narrow as they were designed for the
skinny 15" tires used back in the day.

Converting to 15" rims is one of the best things I ever did for the car,
tires are a consumable item and with this setup I can get them anywhere
at reasonable prices. Ride and handling did not noticably change from
the original 14" configuration.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Old January 29th 14, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:12:15 PM UTC-5, Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2014-01-29, Tegger > wrote:
>
> > I think that's a pretty good suggestion. He can try Hemmings Motor News for

> > old AMC stuff.

> I put Eagle wheel covers on my Ambo wagon and while obviously not stock
>
> they look just fine.
>

> The rims are easy, a 15" set from a rear-drive Dodge Diplomat fit perfectly
>
> and are still not tough too tough to find. That's what I used, they were
>
> cheap and and it was a simple "plug and play" operation.
>

> Ford rims from a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis have the same bolt pattern
>
> as AMC and it would be even easier to score a set, but the center holes
>
> are a little too small and would have to be enlarged to fit on an AMC
>
> vehicle.
>

> Obviously 15" rims from an early Rambler would fit as well, but those are
>
> tougher to find and are also very narrow as they were designed for the
>
> skinny 15" tires used back in the day.
>

> Converting to 15" rims is one of the best things I ever did for the car,
>
> tires are a consumable item and with this setup I can get them anywhere
>
> at reasonable prices. Ride and handling did not noticably change from
>
> the original 14" configuration.

Isn't your speedo off, though? Going from an E78-14 to a 215/75R15 has to be a pretty decent jump in rolling diameter, although I can't seem to find exact numbers for the former. It'll also raise your ride height, something that I tend to avoid on pretty much everything except the Heep... I'm usually trying to go the other way!

nate
Old January 29th 14, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:33:48 PM UTC-5, N8N wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:12:15 PM UTC-5, Roger Blake wrote:
>
> > On 2014-01-29, Tegger > wrote:

> > > I think that's a pretty good suggestion. He can try Hemmings Motor News for

> > > old AMC stuff.

> > I put Eagle wheel covers on my Ambo wagon and while obviously not stock

> > they look just fine.

> > The rims are easy, a 15" set from a rear-drive Dodge Diplomat fit perfectly

> > and are still not tough too tough to find. That's what I used, they were

> > cheap and and it was a simple "plug and play" operation.

> > Ford rims from a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis have the same bolt pattern

> > as AMC and it would be even easier to score a set, but the center holes

> > are a little too small and would have to be enlarged to fit on an AMC

> > vehicle.

> > Obviously 15" rims from an early Rambler would fit as well, but those are

> > tougher to find and are also very narrow as they were designed for the

> > skinny 15" tires used back in the day.

> > Converting to 15" rims is one of the best things I ever did for the car,

> > tires are a consumable item and with this setup I can get them anywhere

> > at reasonable prices. Ride and handling did not noticably change from

> > the original 14" configuration.

> Isn't your speedo off, though? Going from an E78-14 to a 215/75R15 has to be a pretty decent jump in rolling diameter, although I can't seem to find exact numbers for the former. It'll also raise your ride height, something that I tend to avoid on pretty much everything except the Heep... I'm usually trying to go the other way!
>

> nate

Just use the 70 series and be done with it.
Old January 29th 14, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:32:46 PM UTC-5, sctvguy1 wrote:
> Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75, everyone says that it is only
>
> a "trailer tire" and will not put them on a car. The other one is
>
> strictly a car tire, but is a 70 series. My car rides terribly because
>
> the tires that I have (195/75) are too small for the weight and are
>
> overloaded.
>
> Would the 70 series be OK. Both are listed as compatible with the
>
> original G78-14. Coker sells the correct tire, but what a price! This
>
> car is not a "restored original", just a daily driver that is in original
>
> condition.

Agreed, that is what I would do. Might even go to a 60 series if I swapped to 15" wheels. Nothin' wrong with that plan.

nate
Old January 29th 14, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Yes Tegger! Lol I just used it because it sounded "soviet".
Old January 29th 14, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:40:40 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Yes Tegger! Lol I just used it because it sounded "soviet".

Soviet? I once saw an old Soviet car on the web that I wouldn't mind if I owned that particular model Zis car. I think it was a Zis model A, something like that.

1975 AMC Matador - fvr Rob Auto Photos 1 November 12th 12 02:22 PM
Can I Use 175/70R15 radials on 15 X 4.5 Wheel Rims? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 January 3rd 09 11:30 PM
Remember when we posted this kind of material? REPOSTS : 1974 AMC Matador Sport Coupe f3q+Matador-X Sv B&W.jpg (1/1) 94043 bytes ThomasS[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 11th 06 05:53 AM
et street radials J. Sprauer Ford Mustang 1 October 16th 05 03:16 AM
Coker 16" radials Josh B. Malks Antique cars 0 August 6th 04 06:14 AM