Dana 44 may be bent?

Old March 4th 05, 10:28 PM
Mike Romain

Yes.

Figure the angle start is normally the axle center and use a machinist
level or short carpenter level and a protractor. If you cut a straight
wood piece to fit across the rim to rim cross distance and tape the
level to it, you can get it really close by using half the angle rim to
rim shows. Use a 2x4 edge on to the rim to clear the rubber and a long
level even to see if the rears are vertical like they should be.

If it is visible, you have serious trouble.

If the axle is bent the wheel wobbles, if the tubes are blown, it just
tilts the wheels.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 4th 05, 11:21 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Yep, but caster and camber are different. There is no caster for a rear
axle, unless you have a GM truck with Quadrasteer.

Old March 5th 05, 04:38 PM
Troy

Man, ya know I can't believe this.

Right after I posted that question about the 44 I was driving to my
girlfriend's house, and a guy did an improper lane change and ran into my
side... nerf bar and rear left wheel. It pushed me onto the curb, where the
right wheel hit the curb and shifted that entire rearend to the left several
inches. Oh yeah bent the rim and unseated the tire, had to be towed to a
local body shop.

I'm gonna have pictures Monday of it if anyone wants to see a $2000 3 hour
old rearend smacked. Ya think insurance is gonna help me out since I have a
4 inch lift and a different rearend than what came with the jeep? Just
wondering.

Troy

Old March 5th 05, 04:45 PM
IsellJeeps

they probably will if you show receipts

--
Jarod Sprauer

Talk is JEEP at
www.sprauermotorsports.com
281-807-JEEP (5337)

ink.net...

Old March 5th 05, 04:50 PM
DougW

Troy did pass the time by typing:
> Man, ya know I can't believe this.
>
> Right after I posted that question about the 44 I was driving to my
> girlfriend's house, and a guy did an improper lane change and ran into my
> side... nerf bar and rear left wheel. It pushed me onto the curb, where the
> right wheel hit the curb and shifted that entire rearend to the left several
> inches. Oh yeah bent the rim and unseated the tire, had to be towed to a
> local body shop.
>
> I'm gonna have pictures Monday of it if anyone wants to see a $2000 3 hour
> old rearend smacked. Ya think insurance is gonna help me out since I have a
> 4 inch lift and a different rearend than what came with the jeep? Just
> wondering.

unless your in a no-fault state it's not your insurance, it's the at-fault
drivers insurance that will have to pick up the tab for the towing and repair.
If they balk just remind them you could involve a lawyer but would rather
just get your Jeep fixed. They should also get you a rental car while your
vehicle is under repair. Have your receipts ready and an estimate from the
shop. At this point I'd just demand a new axle with all new components
(after all you don't know what else may have been damaged).

--
DougW

Old March 5th 05, 08:29 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You forgot his whiplash.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 7th 05, 02:52 AM
Endo

Hell yeah, whiplash is what bought me my '93 Cherokee LOL

Shawn

Old March 7th 05, 06:15 PM
Troy

I think the accident may have worsened the camber problem... at least from
what my untrained eye can tell. If the insurance doesn't replace the whole
rearend, is there maybe some way I can have the shop kinda bend the tubes
back somewhat in place and weld a truss over the top of the rearend, holding
it in place? I asked the guy at the shop and he said he's done a couple
before that way.

His guess is that the tubes are bent in the diff housing and they can't
really be fixed, but the truss may straighten it out.

Any thoughts?

Troy

Old March 7th 05, 06:20 PM
Mike Romain

Not a hope of ever getting it straight again. It will always burn off
tires, eat seals and cook bearings.

I would be pretty insistent about a replacement. They got off cheap if
that's all that needs fixing....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 8th 05, 04:24 PM
Jeff Strickland

What Mike said.

There is virtually no chance that they will ever be straight again. The odds
are against it.

If the flange that the wheels bolt to are bent on the axle shaft, then the
wheels will wobble as they go around. This is fixed easily, relatively, by
replacing the axle shafts. If the axle tubes are bent where they connect to
the pumpkin, then it means the D44 is toast.

nk.net...