salt air corrodes electric window switches -help

Old January 15th 04, 12:39 AM
James Sweet

"Tony Hwang" > wrote in message
news:JkeNb.91514$JQ1.73783@pd7tw1no...

> Richard Crowley wrote:
>
> > "Mike Romain" wrote ...
> >
> >>I could be wrong, but vaseline is a petroleum grease
> >>that does conduct electricity.

> > *IF* it does conduct, it is very high impedance and won't
> > have any practical (or discernable) effect in a vehicle power
> > window switch (low voltage and high current).
> >

> Hi,
> Another solution may be to spray the switch with foam spray out of
> can sealing the whole assembly.
> Tony

That'll just make a big mess, that stuff is nasty.

Old January 15th 04, 01:36 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/14/04 08:20, Richard Crowley's monkeys randomly typed:

> "Mike Romain" wrote ...
>> I could be wrong, but vaseline is a petroleum grease
>> that does conduct electricity.

> *IF* it does conduct, it is very high impedance and won't
> have any practical (or discernable) effect in a vehicle power
> window switch (low voltage and high current).

If vaseline gets warm, it has the bad habit of flowing
into gaps, becoming a somewhat modest insulator and
fouling up the electricals. Dielectric grease is
designed not to do this...and is quite widely available
particularly in a resort town.

Old January 15th 04, 01:43 AM
Tony Hwang

L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> Roughly 1/14/04 08:20, Richard Crowley's monkeys randomly typed:
>

>>"Mike Romain" wrote ...
>>
>>>I could be wrong, but vaseline is a petroleum grease
>>>that does conduct electricity.

>>*IF* it does conduct, it is very high impedance and won't
>>have any practical (or discernable) effect in a vehicle power
>>window switch (low voltage and high current).
>>

> If vaseline gets warm, it has the bad habit of flowing
> into gaps, becoming a somewhat modest insulator and
> fouling up the electricals. Dielectric grease is
> designed not to do this...and is quite widely available
> particularly in a resort town.

Hi,
Better idea. Use RTV silicone sealant. Use gobs of it to seal
switch assembly.
Tony

Old January 15th 04, 02:29 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/14/04 17:43, Tony Hwang's monkeys randomly typed:

> Hi,
> Better idea. Use RTV silicone sealant. Use gobs of it to seal
> switch assembly.
> Tony

Some of the curing agents in silicone tend to do really really
nasty things to electricals. If you are gonna use a silicone
sealant, get it from an electronics place, not a car or home
improvement store. But then consider just how much of a PITA
it will be if you ever need to get into that connector or
switch and how much fun it will be if that stuff gets between
the contacts and then cures.

The nice thing about dielectric grease is that it tends to
stay put, and will politely move out of the way with the
slightest contact pressure.

Old January 15th 04, 03:13 AM
Tony Hwang

L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> Roughly 1/14/04 17:43, Tony Hwang's monkeys randomly typed:
>

>>Hi,
>>Better idea. Use RTV silicone sealant. Use gobs of it to seal
>>switch assembly.
>>Tony
>>

> Some of the curing agents in silicone tend to do really really
> nasty things to electricals. If you are gonna use a silicone
> sealant, get it from an electronics place, not a car or home
> improvement store. But then consider just how much of a PITA
> it will be if you ever need to get into that connector or
> switch and how much fun it will be if that stuff gets between
> the contacts and then cures.
>
> The nice thing about dielectric grease is that it tends to
> stay put, and will politely move out of the way with the
> slightest contact pressure.

Hi,
12V low curret situation, it's not much of a concern.
Tony

Old January 15th 04, 04:14 AM
Richard Crowley

"Tony Hwang" wrote ...
> Another solution may be to spray the switch with
> foam spray out of can sealing the whole assembly.

The only way to *completely* protect it would
be to seal the button and all. Of course, that would
render the switch useless.

OTOH, grease protects the metal surfaces while still
alowing them to touch when needed.

Old January 15th 04, 03:16 PM
Mike Romain

Tony Hwang wrote:

> L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> > Roughly 1/14/04 17:43, Tony Hwang's monkeys randomly typed:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>Better idea. Use RTV silicone sealant. Use gobs of it to seal
> >>switch assembly.
> >>Tony
> >>

> > Some of the curing agents in silicone tend to do really really
> > nasty things to electricals. If you are gonna use a silicone
> > sealant, get it from an electronics place, not a car or home
> > improvement store. But then consider just how much of a PITA
> > it will be if you ever need to get into that connector or
> > switch and how much fun it will be if that stuff gets between
> > the contacts and then cures.
> >
> > The nice thing about dielectric grease is that it tends to
> > stay put, and will politely move out of the way with the
> > slightest contact pressure.

> Hi,
> 12V low curret situation, it's not much of a concern.
> Tony

LOL!

Just try to get 12 volts to pass through RTV silicone...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old January 15th 04, 03:17 PM
Mike Romain

Richard Crowley wrote:

> "Mike Romain" wrote ...
> > I could be wrong, but vaseline is a petroleum grease
> > that does conduct electricity.

> *IF* it does conduct, it is very high impedance and won't
> have any practical (or discernable) effect in a vehicle power
> window switch (low voltage and high current).

I will use dielectric, it's cheaper even.

Vaseline also flows at very low temps and the OP mentioned a warm
climate.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old January 15th 04, 04:47 PM
Stephen H. Westin

Tony Hwang > writes:

> L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
> > Roughly 1/14/04 08:20, Richard Crowley's monkeys randomly typed:
> >
> >>"Mike Romain" wrote ...

> >>*IF* it does conduct, it is very high impedance and won't
> >>have any practical (or discernable) effect in a vehicle power
> >>window switch (low voltage and high current).
> >>

> > If vaseline gets warm, it has the bad habit of flowing
> > into gaps, becoming a somewhat modest insulator and
> > fouling up the electricals. Dielectric grease is
> > designed not to do this...and is quite widely available
> > particularly in a resort town.
> >

> Hi,
> Better idea. Use RTV silicone sealant. Use gobs of it to seal
> switch assembly.

Well, the problem with sealing like that is that eventually it will
fail. Then it serves to keep moisture in, rather than out. Stuff that
remains gooey has the advantage that it will tend to heal itself, or
at least to do no harm.

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old January 15th 04, 10:05 PM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/15/04 07:16, Mike Romain's monkeys randomly typed:

> Tony Hwang wrote:
>>
>> L0nD0t.$t0we11 wrote:
>> > Roughly 1/14/04 17:43, Tony Hwang's monkeys randomly typed:

>> > Some of the curing agents in silicone tend to do really really
>> > nasty things to electricals. If you are gonna use a silicone
>> > sealant, get it from an electronics place, not a car or home
>> > improvement store. But then consider just how much of a PITA
>> > it will be if you ever need to get into that connector or
>> > switch and how much fun it will be if that stuff gets between
>> > the contacts and then cures.
>> >
>> > The nice thing about dielectric grease is that it tends to
>> > stay put, and will politely move out of the way with the
>> > slightest contact pressure.

>> Hi,
>> 12V low curret situation, it's not much of a concern.
>> Tony

> LOL!
>
> Just try to get 12 volts to pass through RTV silicone...

Good point, I was still so bumfuzzled at the concept of
a 12 volt car system being "low current" that piece of
lunacy just went whizzing overhead on the back of the
whoosh bird.

1994 Accord LX Power Window Problem R. P. Honda 6 December 28th 04 02:09 AM
Rear Electric Window liam Audi 3 December 6th 04 03:31 PM
2000 Cabrio Driver's Window Weatherstripping Question Jose R. Perez VW water cooled 0 October 21st 04 03:32 AM
Alfa 164 Electric Window problem Emjay Alfa Romeo 2 July 13th 04 12:42 AM
VW Electric Window Switch Funny Behaviour Chris Audi 4 June 2nd 04 07:26 PM