Engine Code P 0442

Old July 9th 05, 02:15 PM
tim bur

thats not true the gas tanks now have a ball valve in the end of the filler tube
at the tank and it's made in such a way it's vary hard to get to the fuel in the
tank at least on d.c vehicles
and some of those have drain plugs in the tanks

Old July 9th 05, 08:42 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Increment, for those that can't translate my malapropisms.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 11th 05, 03:22 AM
Tomes

I knew it. I was just goofing....

Old July 11th 05, 03:27 AM
Tomes

OK, so it has been a couple of days now [all dried out - went to Black
Potatoe folk music festival today] put the gas cap on and off a few times,
still get the code. I looked around in a cursory manner under the hood, not
really knowing what to look for, and see nothing out of the ordinary in the
way of vacuum lines that I find in there.

What is next for me to do?

Thanks again,
Tomes

"Tomes" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> Thanks folks. I went and re affixed the gas cap and I'll take it out for

> run later, likely tomorrow, and then recheck the codes. When I opened it
> up, it made a big old sucking sound. I don't know if this is normal tho
> (here in NJ we are not allowed to pump our own gas, thank the gods, the
> hazardous material that it is).
>
> The real reason that I will take it for a run later is it is now drying

out
> from being soaked from today's rainpour. I thought that I could get away
> with just the bikini top - LOL on me. Actually, I was fine with my doors
> put back on, but that gap between the roll bar and the door was the funnel
> point for all of the rain from the top and I ended up with 3 inches of

water

Old July 11th 05, 03:32 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It must complete one cycle from cold to full operating temperature
before the light's out for next start.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 11th 05, 03:35 AM
Tomes

Thanks, I did not know this. Today's trip was about 15 minutes each way.
Tomorrow to work and back will be a better run for this.
Tomes

Old July 11th 05, 06:45 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Tomes" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> OK, so it has been a couple of days now [all dried out - went to Black
> Potatoe folk music festival today] put the gas cap on and off a few times,
> still get the code. I looked around in a cursory manner under the hood,

not
> really knowing what to look for, and see nothing out of the ordinary in

the
> way of vacuum lines that I find in there.

You have to physically reset the code, or wait for several (I think the
number is in the range of ~40) start-cycles for it to go out on it's own. It
will not have gone out by now, even if the gas cap was not secured when the
code came up.

Old July 12th 05, 02:45 AM
Tomes

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Tomes" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > OK, so it has been a couple of days now [all dried out - went to Black
> > Potatoe folk music festival today] put the gas cap on and off a few

times,
> > still get the code. I looked around in a cursory manner under the hood,

> not
> > really knowing what to look for, and see nothing out of the ordinary in

> the
> > way of vacuum lines that I find in there.
> >

> You have to physically reset the code, or wait for several (I think the
> number is in the range of ~40) start-cycles for it to go out on it's own.

It
> will not have gone out by now, even if the gas cap was not secured when

the
> code came up.

Well I guess that is where I am then, off to the land of the 40. I'm up to
maybe 10 now....
Thanks.
I suppose physically setting the code is something I am not to do?

Old July 12th 05, 08:50 AM
BillyRay

Or you can disconnect the battery which will clear the error codes.

nk.net...

Old July 12th 05, 07:52 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Tomes" > wrote in message
link.net...
> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Tomes" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>> > OK, so it has been a couple of days now [all dried out - went to Black
>> > Potatoe folk music festival today] put the gas cap on and off a few

> times,
>> > still get the code. I looked around in a cursory manner under the
>> > hood,

>> not
>> > really knowing what to look for, and see nothing out of the ordinary in

>> the
>> > way of vacuum lines that I find in there.
>> >

>> You have to physically reset the code, or wait for several (I think the
>> number is in the range of ~40) start-cycles for it to go out on it's own.

> It
>> will not have gone out by now, even if the gas cap was not secured when

> the
>> code came up.
>>

> Well I guess that is where I am then, off to the land of the 40. I'm up
> maybe 10 now....
> Thanks.
> I suppose physically setting the code is something I am not to do?

That is a false assumption. There is no reason you can't reset the code. I
am not sure, but I think you can do it by unplugging the battery for
something like 5 minutes. <I'm sure somebody will tell us the actual
duration.> Or, you can get your hands on the code reader tool, and press a
button. In California, AutoZone stores, and others I would guess, will allow
you to use a code reader tool that they keep on hand for customers. The idea
is that a customer will come in with the Check light on, or recently on but
now off, and they can use the code reader to get the code(s) and reset
it(them), then come in and buy a shopping cart full of parts worth hundreds
of dollars, or one part worth about $20. Either way, the store gets youir
car parts dollars if they let you use the code reader.