A funny thing happened on the way thru an oil change

Old July 6th 05, 02:00 AM
Jeff Strickland

Default A funny thing happened on the way thru an oil change

I was changing the oil in my car, and while waiting for the dripping to
stop, I looked around at all of the stuff there is to look at under a car,
and wondered what all of the plastic parts were that were laying around near
the bottom of the radiator. It hit me that the fan was gone. The plastic
parts were the remants of the fan blades. The fan was completely gone.

I had no idea from the guages or anything else that the fan wasn't with me
anymore. Indeed, I have been wondering if the motor runs too cold in the
morning because I have seen the guage take forever to reach the mid point of
the scale, then over the course of a mile or so on the freeway, the needle
will drop to the blue and slowly rise back to the mid point again. I was
guessing that the tstat might be stuck open, but I had no idea that the fan
wasn't there. I would expect the engine to get very hot, at least is slow
moving traffic on a hot day, if the fan was not working, but there was no
indication whatsoever.

The fan is very easy to replace, one reverse-threaded nut on the fan clutch
and three small allen screws. That's it.

I just wanted to share ...

Old July 6th 05, 02:16 AM
Malt_Hound

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I was changing the oil in my car, and while waiting for the dripping to
> stop, I looked around at all of the stuff there is to look at under a car,
> and wondered what all of the plastic parts were that were laying around near
> the bottom of the radiator. It hit me that the fan was gone. The plastic
> parts were the remants of the fan blades. The fan was completely gone.
>
> I had no idea from the guages or anything else that the fan wasn't with me
> anymore. Indeed, I have been wondering if the motor runs too cold in the
> morning because I have seen the guage take forever to reach the mid point of
> the scale, then over the course of a mile or so on the freeway, the needle
> will drop to the blue and slowly rise back to the mid point again. I was
> guessing that the tstat might be stuck open, but I had no idea that the fan
> wasn't there. I would expect the engine to get very hot, at least is slow
> moving traffic on a hot day, if the fan was not working, but there was no
> indication whatsoever.
>
> The fan is very easy to replace, one reverse-threaded nut on the fan clutch
> and three small allen screws. That's it.
>
> I just wanted to share ...

That is a funny one, Jeff. But I suppose one would never notice their
lack of a fan unless, or until, they get stuck in traffic and need to
stand stationary for a while.

Which brings me to another thought... why do we need fans that run
directly off the engine, increasing and decreasing with engine speed,
when in all reality, the biggest need for additional air flow thru the
radiator will be at the lowest engine speed, and the least need for the
fan will be at higher rpm when we are making good speed?

Seems like an intelligently controlled electric fan would be a better
design, no?

-Fred W
Old July 6th 05, 02:33 AM
Trey

"Malt_Hound" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> I was changing the oil in my car, and while waiting for the dripping to
>> stop, I looked around at all of the stuff there is to look at under a
>> car,
>> and wondered what all of the plastic parts were that were laying around
>> near
>> the bottom of the radiator. It hit me that the fan was gone. The plastic
>> parts were the remants of the fan blades. The fan was completely gone.
>>
>> I had no idea from the guages or anything else that the fan wasn't with
>> me
>> anymore. Indeed, I have been wondering if the motor runs too cold in the
>> morning because I have seen the guage take forever to reach the mid point
>> of
>> the scale, then over the course of a mile or so on the freeway, the
>> needle
>> will drop to the blue and slowly rise back to the mid point again. I was
>> guessing that the tstat might be stuck open, but I had no idea that the
>> fan
>> wasn't there. I would expect the engine to get very hot, at least is slow
>> moving traffic on a hot day, if the fan was not working, but there was no
>> indication whatsoever.
>>
>> The fan is very easy to replace, one reverse-threaded nut on the fan
>> clutch
>> and three small allen screws. That's it.
>>
>> I just wanted to share ...
>>

> That is a funny one, Jeff. But I suppose one would never notice their
> lack of a fan unless, or until, they get stuck in traffic and need to
> stand stationary for a while.
>
> Which brings me to another thought... why do we need fans that run
> directly off the engine, increasing and decreasing with engine speed, when
> in all reality, the biggest need for additional air flow thru the radiator
> will be at the lowest engine speed, and the least need for the fan will be
> at higher rpm when we are making good speed?
>
> Seems like an intelligently controlled electric fan would be a better
> design, no?

Years ago, I had a 1971 Ford truck. the fan was bolted straight to the water
pump. It didn't matter much since the engine didn't go much past 4000 RPM
anyways.. However, in the newer cars. they have a fluid clutch, so when its
cooler, the fan almost completely slips. As it gets hotter, the clutch will
engage more and more until its fully locked.
This has worked for many years, but just as you say, its not the most
efficient way of doing it. The fan usually robs about 15-20 HP. So removing
the mechanical fan and putting in an electric one with a thermostat is
better, but also costs a fraction more. This is most common on front steel
drive cars with the transverse mounted engines.

Old July 6th 05, 03:04 AM
Jeff Strickland

"Malt_Hound" > wrote in message
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> > I was changing the oil in my car, and while waiting for the dripping to
> > stop, I looked around at all of the stuff there is to look at under a

car,
> > and wondered what all of the plastic parts were that were laying around

near
> > the bottom of the radiator. It hit me that the fan was gone. The plastic
> > parts were the remants of the fan blades. The fan was completely gone.
> >
> > I had no idea from the guages or anything else that the fan wasn't with

me
> > anymore. Indeed, I have been wondering if the motor runs too cold in the
> > morning because I have seen the guage take forever to reach the mid

point of
> > the scale, then over the course of a mile or so on the freeway, the

needle
> > will drop to the blue and slowly rise back to the mid point again. I was
> > guessing that the tstat might be stuck open, but I had no idea that the

fan
> > wasn't there. I would expect the engine to get very hot, at least is

slow
> > moving traffic on a hot day, if the fan was not working, but there was

no
> > indication whatsoever.
> >
> > The fan is very easy to replace, one reverse-threaded nut on the fan

clutch
> > and three small allen screws. That's it.
> >
> > I just wanted to share ...
> >

> That is a funny one, Jeff. But I suppose one would never notice their
> lack of a fan unless, or until, they get stuck in traffic and need to
> stand stationary for a while.

That's what I woulda thunk too. But, I'm in Southern California and we have
already been well into the 90s and I've been stopped in traffic with the A/C
on high.

> Which brings me to another thought... why do we need fans that run
> directly off the engine, increasing and decreasing with engine speed,
> when in all reality, the biggest need for additional air flow thru the
> radiator will be at the lowest engine speed, and the least need for the
> fan will be at higher rpm when we are making good speed?
>
> Seems like an intelligently controlled electric fan would be a better
> design, no?

Anything that won't break would be an improvement.

It isn't the engine speed that dictates the air flow, it's the ground speed.
If the car is moving, there is air flow through the radiator, and if the A/C
is on, there is an electric fan that kicks in, maybe this fan is enough ...
Hmmm,

Old July 6th 05, 03:16 AM
R. Mark Clayton

> Which brings me to another thought... why do we need fans that run
> directly off the engine, increasing and decreasing with engine speed, when
> in all reality, the biggest need for additional air flow thru the radiator
> will be at the lowest engine speed, and the least need for the fan will be
> at higher rpm when we are making good speed?
>
> Seems like an intelligently controlled electric fan would be a better
> design, no?
>
> -Fred W

BMW fans are viscously coupled - engine cold - fan slips ; engine hot fan
spins.

Electric fan should cut in if engine get too hot (e.g. in traffic), but
represent a potentially disastrous failure mode if relied on completely.

I should try and find out why the fan blades broke - any sign of the remains
of the neighbour's cat that hid under the bonnet.

Old July 6th 05, 06:15 AM
Richard Tomkins

I had a friend with a large car in times past. It was some kind of Buick and
had a huge fan and a large space between the fan and the radiator, with a
giant cowling coupling the radiator to the fan.

Well, he parked it one day at another friends house, a cold autumn day and
we went inside to suck back on some wobbly pops.

When we went out and started the car, the most horrible whining sound came
from under the hood, we stopped the engine and a cat ran out from underneath
the car. The cat was not injured, just scared to death.

It had sat in close to the radiator to get warm.

After that experience, any time a car pulled up in the driveway, the cat
would run in the other direction.

Old July 6th 05, 09:27 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Malt_Hound > wrote:
> Which brings me to another thought... why do we need fans that run
> directly off the engine, increasing and decreasing with engine speed,
> when in all reality, the biggest need for additional air flow thru the
> radiator will be at the lowest engine speed, and the least need for the
> fan will be at higher rpm when we are making good speed?

> Seems like an intelligently controlled electric fan would be a better
> design, no?

Or a progressively driven mechanical one which idles when not needed...

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 6th 05, 03:04 PM
Ross Garrett

"Malt_Hound" > wrote in message

> Which brings me to another thought... why do we need fans that run
> directly off the engine, increasing and decreasing with engine speed, when
> in all reality, the biggest need for additional air flow thru the radiator
> will be at the lowest engine speed, and the least need for the fan will be
> at higher rpm when we are making good speed?
>
> Seems like an intelligently controlled electric fan would be a better
> design, no?

I am pretty certain the new era of BMW's have electric radiator fans. I
thought I read somewhere that is one of the means they used to lower engine
battery capabilities mean less load without the fan belt, but also no
increased load for the alternator). The fan and fan speed are driven by
signals from the engine controller. I also think they might have electric
water pumps for the same reason.

And I know both my E39's had at least some semblance of an electric fan
because it would run long after the engine shut down on hot days when the AC
had been used.

Old July 6th 05, 03:35 PM
Jan Kalin

In article >, Ross Garrett wrote:

>"Malt_Hound" > wrote in message
>
>> Which brings me to another thought... why do we need fans that run
>> directly off the engine, increasing and decreasing with engine speed, when
>> in all reality, the biggest need for additional air flow thru the radiator
>> will be at the lowest engine speed, and the least need for the fan will be
>> at higher rpm when we are making good speed?
>>
>> Seems like an intelligently controlled electric fan would be a better
>> design, no?

>I am pretty certain the new era of BMW's have electric radiator fans. I
>thought I read somewhere that is one of the means they used to lower engine
>battery capabilities mean less load without the fan belt, but also no
>increased load for the alternator). The fan and fan speed are driven by
>signals from the engine controller. I also think they might have electric
>water pumps for the same reason.
>
>And I know both my E39's had at least some semblance of an electric fan
>because it would run long after the engine shut down on hot days when the AC
>had been used.

That's the auxillary electrical fan for cooling AC condenser. The main fan
is mechanical with a viscous clutch. Check out
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...44&hg=11&fg=35
for the main fan (located between the radiator and engine) and
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...44&hg=64&fg=55
for the AC fan (located in front of the radiator).

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"
Old July 6th 05, 03:44 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Strictly speaking, no. It's the air speed only. However, we won't quibble
for a motor car... :-)

For an aircraft it really matters whether there is a headwind or tailwind.
The difference between ground speed and air speed can easily reach 50 mph or
more.

DAS

---

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
[...]
> It isn't the engine speed that dictates the air flow, it's the ground
> speed.

[...]

Big Bertha Thing blogs Tony Lance Chrysler 8 January 15th 05 02:05 PM
eScrew [email protected] Driving 0 December 20th 04 10:52 AM
es [email protected] Chrysler 0 December 20th 04 10:16 AM