92 Civic brakes

Old February 27th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dail Singleton

Default 92 Civic brakes

My 92 Civic DX 4dr developed a click or clunk in the rear brakes at each
wheel rotation, and I would have got a brake job but (1) car still stops
very well (2) sometimes the clunk would not be there at all but might
come back again next time I drove it. Now I have discovered something:
When I put on the hand brake hard to hold on a sloped driveway, clunk
was worse. Then when I was driving along I pulled the handbrake handle
up and down gently a few times, clunk was eliminated. After 3 or 4 trips
using this precaution I seem to be clunkless.

Has anyone experienced this type of thing before?

Dail
Old February 28th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Dail Singleton > wrote in :

> My 92 Civic DX 4dr developed a click or clunk in the rear brakes at each
> wheel rotation, and I would have got a brake job but (1) car still stops
> very well (2) sometimes the clunk would not be there at all but might
> come back again next time I drove it. Now I have discovered something:
> When I put on the hand brake hard to hold on a sloped driveway, clunk
> was worse. Then when I was driving along I pulled the handbrake handle
> up and down gently a few times, clunk was eliminated. After 3 or 4 trips
> using this precaution I seem to be clunkless.

Pull the drums off ASAP and have a look at the shoes. Sounds like you may
be almost down to the metal. Don't wait until your drums are wrecked.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old February 28th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Dail Singleton wrote:
> My 92 Civic DX 4dr developed a click or clunk in the rear brakes at each
> wheel rotation, and I would have got a brake job but (1) car still stops
> very well (2) sometimes the clunk would not be there at all but might
> come back again next time I drove it. Now I have discovered something:
> When I put on the hand brake hard to hold on a sloped driveway, clunk
> was worse. Then when I was driving along I pulled the handbrake handle
> up and down gently a few times, clunk was eliminated. After 3 or 4 trips
> using this precaution I seem to be clunkless.
>
> Has anyone experienced this type of thing before?
>
> Dail

======================================
Your adjuster wheels are not working right, probably because the lube on
them dried out. Using the park brake has helped them 'notch up' and your
brake pedal probably has less travel now too, right? Rear brakes on your
Honda have something like 13 points per side (same as my CR-V) that are
supposed to be lubed properly, even if the shoes aren't worn out. You
should find a good independant mechanic and have them serviced.

Owner's manual suggests you should be using the park brake all the time
anyhow. Funny how it helped, eh?

'Curly'
Old March 1st 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Speedy Pete

motsco_ wrote:

> Owner's manual suggests you should be using the park brake all the time
> anyhow. Funny how it helped, eh?
>
> 'Curly'

Using the parking brake is what adjust the rear brake shoes. If you dont
they will not expand for wear.

-SP
Old March 1st 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Speedy Pete wrote:
> motsco_ wrote:
>
>> Owner's manual suggests you should be using the park brake all the
>> time anyhow. Funny how it helped, eh?
>>
>> 'Curly'

> Using the parking brake is what adjust the rear brake shoes. If you dont
> they will not expand for wear.

do you work on civics much? the self-adjust lever is not connected to
the parking brake lever in any way - it works entirely by operation of
the service pistons.

2005 Honda Civic - rear brakes 80% worn after 20,000 miles cinerama Honda 17 September 24th 06 08:04 PM
Honda Civic 2004 Brakes vibrating [email protected] Honda 5 April 18th 06 03:58 PM
99 civic brakes Jeff Honda 5 October 31st 05 06:15 PM
1995 Civic LX Alarm & Brakes BCHU2000 Honda 0 January 10th 05 08:18 PM
Changing Brakes and Disc on a ** Honda Civic 98 Hatchback DX** Jason Honda 2 October 24th 04 06:57 PM