Buying a new car

Old March 17th 05, 05:43 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:03:10 -0600, DTJ > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 04:11:21 GMT, Bob Ward >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Reread for comprehension. Get out your thesaurus and look up the
>>>concept "pricing higher than the market will support." If the market
>>>won't support their pricing, they will soon find themselves
>>>unemployed.

>>I bow to both your superior verbiage and ignorance.

> Would you care to explain how someone attempting to sell a product at
> a price that is higher than the market will bear can succeed?
>
> I didn't think so.

I can do that: create a new market. In a capitalist society, people will
pay more in the expectation that they're getting more. The seller, simply
by charging more for goods or a service cab create a market for those who
think the more they paid for something, the better it is. Look at Rodeo
Drive for an example.

Old March 17th 05, 06:22 AM
Bob Ward

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:43:50 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:03:10 -0600, DTJ > wrote:

>>>I bow to both your superior verbiage and ignorance.

>> Would you care to explain how someone attempting to sell a product at
>> a price that is higher than the market will bear can succeed?
>>
>> I didn't think so.

>I can do that: create a new market. In a capitalist society, people will
>pay more in the expectation that they're getting more. The seller, simply
>by charging more for goods or a service cab create a market for those who
>think the more they paid for something, the better it is. Look at Rodeo
>Drive for an example.

If that's the case, then it's not more than the market will bear, is
it?

Old March 17th 05, 06:23 AM
Bob Ward

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:53:00 -0800, John David Galt
> wrote:

>Bob Ward wrote:
>> It's sort of self-modulating - the salesmen who consistently price
>> their wares higher than the market will support will soon find
>> themselves in some other line of business.

>The market in cars is close enough to a monopoly (and they're a
>necessity for enough people) that the dealers can do what they want.
>
>Until the industry is deregulated, the market can't do its job.

You have an odd understanding of the meaning of "monopoly".

Old March 17th 05, 02:55 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:43:50 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Would you care to explain how someone attempting to sell a product at
>>> a price that is higher than the market will bear can succeed?
>>>
>>> I didn't think so.

>>I can do that: create a new market. In a capitalist society, people will
>>pay more in the expectation that they're getting more. The seller, simply
>>by charging more for goods or a service cab create a market for those who
>>think the more they paid for something, the better it is. Look at Rodeo
>>Drive for an example.
>>

> If that's the case, then it's not more than the market will bear, is
> it?

Precisely. If it's too high for the regular market, create a new market.
Identify those customers who believe that higher prices automatically means
higher service and quality, then grab a rake to rake in the cash.