Buying a new car

Old March 15th 05, 03:07 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Dave C." > wrote in message
link.net...

>> Well, not exactly. You can't ride a lawnmower to work, and I think
>> lawnmowers are cheaper by a few thousand dollars

> You haven't seen MY lawnmower. -Dave

Does it have license plates (I've been WAITING for someone to take that
joke!)?

Old March 15th 05, 03:29 AM
Dave C.

> >> Well, not exactly. You can't ride a lawnmower to work, and I think
> >> lawnmowers are cheaper by a few thousand dollars

> > You haven't seen MY lawnmower. -Dave

> Does it have license plates (I've been WAITING for someone to take that
> joke!)?

It will, eventually. I have to get it past state inspection first. I can't
convince the inspectors that the sharp cutting blades rotating at a high
rate of speed are standard equipment. -Dave

Old March 15th 05, 04:09 AM
DTJ

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:08:10 -0500, "Jerr" >
wrote:

>> work. But if I want to earn decent money OR live in a reasonably priced
>> house, I have to drive to work. Just like hundreds of millions of other
>> commuters. -Dave
>>

> Funny. You want to earn decent money and live in a reasonably priced house
>but you begrudge some car salesman from making a living. The car salesman's

Don't be a moron, nobody cares if the salesman or dealer makes a
profit. We care if it is a fair profit.

I just bought a new Odyssey. I went to three dealers, and the pricing
was more than $3000 apart from the lowest to the highest. Now I know
you will say they were all treating me fairly. I also know only a
moron would think that.
Old March 15th 05, 04:20 AM
Bob Ward

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:09:05 -0600, DTJ > wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:08:10 -0500, "Jerr" >
>wrote:
>
>>> work. But if I want to earn decent money OR live in a reasonably priced
>>> house, I have to drive to work. Just like hundreds of millions of other
>>> commuters. -Dave
>>>

>> Funny. You want to earn decent money and live in a reasonably priced house
>>but you begrudge some car salesman from making a living. The car salesman's

>Don't be a moron, nobody cares if the salesman or dealer makes a
>profit. We care if it is a fair profit.
>
>I just bought a new Odyssey. I went to three dealers, and the pricing
>was more than $3000 apart from the lowest to the highest. Now I know
>you will say they were all treating me fairly. I also know only a
>moron would think that.

It's sort of self-modulating - the salesmen who consistently price
their wares higher than the market will support will soon find
themselves in some other line of business.
Old March 15th 05, 04:23 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Dave C." > wrote in message
link.net...

>> > You haven't seen MY lawnmower. -Dave

>> Does it have license plates (I've been WAITING for someone to take that
>> joke!)?

> It will, eventually. I have to get it past state inspection first. I
> can't
> convince the inspectors that the sharp cutting blades rotating at a high
> rate of speed are standard equipment. -Dave

Bureaucrats, what are ya gonna do?

Old March 15th 05, 05:02 AM
Bernard farquart

"DTJ" > wrote in message

> I just bought a new Odyssey. I went to three dealers, and the pricing
> was more than $3000 apart from the lowest to the highest. Now I know
> you will say they were all treating me fairly. I also know only a
> moron would think that.

I had a good time with dealers last time I negotiated for a new car, I
went to the first one, got the best deal I could, and left. I then went to
another
(affiliated) dealer with that number as a *starting* point, I beat that
dealer down from there, and took that number to a third dealer, where
we got the price we wanted, (and I got a job offer), I actually enjoyed the
give and take, the bull**** and getting one dealer to start with the price
the
last one had ended with.

I personally prefer not to take the depreciation on a new vehicle, so
I only will buy used for myself, the new car was for my mom. but it was
fun to mess with the salespeople.

Bernard

Old March 16th 05, 12:14 AM
Dave C.

> I doubt it will pass the smog test.

Depends on where you are. I some states, they don't use the sniffer hoses.
-Dave

Old March 16th 05, 03:58 AM
DTJ

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:20:29 GMT, Bob Ward >
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:09:05 -0600, DTJ > wrote:
>
>>I just bought a new Odyssey. I went to three dealers, and the pricing
>>was more than $3000 apart from the lowest to the highest. Now I know
>>you will say they were all treating me fairly. I also know only a
>>moron would think that.

>It's sort of self-modulating - the salesmen who consistently price
>their wares higher than the market will support will soon find
>themselves in some other line of business.

I disagree, as there are too many people who aren't bright enough to
understand how to price and shop for a vehicle. Dealers lie to them,
and they don't know who to believe. I have had dealers tell me there
is no such thing as a hold back, and that if they sold the car at
invoice they would not make a profit. I also have a friend who sells
cars, who laughs at how they add tags to the vehicle charging for
things that come standard from the manufacturer. He explains that you
can sell a vehicle for thousands under invoice and still make a
profit.
Old March 16th 05, 04:11 AM
Bob Ward

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:58:45 -0600, DTJ > wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 04:20:29 GMT, Bob Ward >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:09:05 -0600, DTJ > wrote:
>>
>>>I just bought a new Odyssey. I went to three dealers, and the pricing
>>>was more than $3000 apart from the lowest to the highest. Now I know
>>>you will say they were all treating me fairly. I also know only a
>>>moron would think that.

>>It's sort of self-modulating - the salesmen who consistently price
>>their wares higher than the market will support will soon find
>>themselves in some other line of business.

>I disagree, as there are too many people who aren't bright enough to
>understand how to price and shop for a vehicle. Dealers lie to them,
>and they don't know who to believe. I have had dealers tell me there
>is no such thing as a hold back, and that if they sold the car at
>invoice they would not make a profit. I also have a friend who sells
>cars, who laughs at how they add tags to the vehicle charging for
>things that come standard from the manufacturer. He explains that you
>can sell a vehicle for thousands under invoice and still make a
>profit.

Reread for comprehension. Get out your thesaurus and look up the
concept "pricing higher than the market will support." If the market
won't support their pricing, they will soon find themselves
unemployed.
Old March 16th 05, 06:31 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"DTJ" > wrote in message
news
> I disagree, as there are too many people who aren't

I have had dealers tell me there
> is no such thing as a hold back,

LMAO!!!

and that if they sold the car at
> invoice they would not make a profit.

That depends on what invoice is. There's actual invoice (what the dealer
pays for the vehicle) and then there's whatever the salesman says.

I also have a friend who sells
> cars, who laughs at how they add tags to the vehicle charging for
> things that come standard from the manufacturer.

Oh yes--the sticker; outlining exactly what each component of the car costs.
I love it: $15 for an ashtray, etc.

He explains that you
> can sell a vehicle for thousands under invoice and still make a
> profit.

I'd like to know how he does that. Thousands, you say? Maybe he meant
MSRP?