Oil change - did I get screwed?

Old January 5th 05, 10:49 PM
Mike Smith

Default Oil change - did I get screwed?

Hey all,

You may recall my belly pan sob story. Well, I got it fixed today, and
while I was there I had them do the 10K service, which of course
includes an oil and filter change. Now, the manual sez that an '03
Passat V6 (actually both engines) should be fed 5W-40 oil, meeting VW
505.01. The oil they used is part number ZVW-352-530. Anyone know what
grade that is? My sneaking suspicion is that that "530" at the end
means 5W-30... does it?

Thanks,
--
Mike Smith
Old January 5th 05, 11:16 PM
Joseph Meehan

Mike Smith wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> You may recall my belly pan sob story. Well, I got it fixed today,
> and while I was there I had them do the 10K service, which of course
> includes an oil and filter change. Now, the manual sez that an '03
> Passat V6 (actually both engines) should be fed 5W-40 oil, meeting VW
> 505.01. The oil they used is part number ZVW-352-530. Anyone know
> what grade that is? My sneaking suspicion is that that "530" at the
> end means 5W-30... does it?
>
> Thanks,

I would not worry. Even if you now have 5W30 it should be fine for the
next six months. It is just a little lighter weight in a hot engine and in
North America, you should not be experiencing too much hot weather over the
next six months.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old January 5th 05, 11:27 PM

EXCEPT. If he ahs a problem with the engine, based on my experience,
VWoA will deny a warranty claim and send him back to the dealer.
Trust me on this one. They are right by the book!

Old January 5th 05, 11:27 PM

Old January 6th 05, 12:23 AM
Rufus McPiddlegump

The dealer will never be able to tell the difference in the oil by looking
at it. You would need a hot viscometer test to know and dealers don't have
these, only oil analysis labs do.

RM

oups.com...

Old January 6th 05, 12:53 AM

Right, except when he has a problem, they'll ask for the oil change
receipts and deny the warranty claim based on the oil used. VWoA will
tell him it's his responsibility to make sure he uses the right oil,
not the dealers. The dealer will tell him tough luck, go figure!
Been there, done that! . . got the t shirt!

Old January 6th 05, 02:32 AM
Woodchuck

We give the owner the option to run synthetic on the V6 Passat. We presently
have a 2001 Jetta 2.0l engine in our shop with a BIG hole where the rod came
through the block. Owner has his own white oil filter on the engine. Bottom
line... it's warranty repair. In my opinion VW is more interested in regular
service over if a person uses synthetic or dino oil. Now if it was way over
the change interval then I think VW would deny the repair. Now the 1.8t may
be another issue with the recent notice of sludge issues in the engine. The
dealer must follow VW's guide lines... If I was a DIYer I would keep all my
purchase receipts for oil, filter, oil, etc as proof of the work you did.

Old January 6th 05, 02:54 AM
Mike Smith

Well, thanks again. A little web searching turned up that -530 is
indeed 5W-30. And rather than worry about how VW *might* handle the
situation in the future if something goes wrong, I think I'll just get
it changed out for 505.01 (if I can find it, otherwise I guess I'll go
for Mobil 1 0W-40, which meets 505.00 - comments, anyone?)

--
Mike Smith
Old January 6th 05, 04:09 AM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Mike Smith > wrote:
>Well, thanks again. A little web searching turned up that -530 is
>indeed 5W-30. And rather than worry about how VW *might* handle the
>situation in the future if something goes wrong, I think I'll just get
>it changed out for 505.01 (if I can find it, otherwise I guess I'll go
>for Mobil 1 0W-40, which meets 505.00 - comments, anyone?)

Comment? Kill this thread already. It's giving me the creepy crawlies
with all this paranoia. Take your meds and be happy. You have a receipt
and technically you shouldn't know what -530 is if you visit a dealer
for service. So, you are in the cat bird seat and if anything did go
wrong you got the dealer by the nummies. Way too many paranoid people
out there. Just check to make sure they didn't over-fill.

Drive it with the oil and be happy.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old January 6th 05, 04:22 AM
Biz

If this was a dealer repair, and they made a mistake, the dealer itself
usually covers any subsequent damage resulting from their mistake. Always
keep all your paperwork. If you're really concerned, you should be calling
the dealship and explaining the issue to the service manager and have him
either remedy it now free of charge, or have him sign off on it in writing
that they knew what they put in it and it will be covered.