Chrysler 300 C - How much of a Mercedes is it, and is that good or bad?

Old May 4th 04, 04:34 AM
REInvestments

Default Chrysler 300 C - How much of a Mercedes is it, and is that good or bad?

I have a 99 S 420. I saw the dark blue 300 C today in real life, and I
like it. Reminds me of a poor man's (me) Rolls Royce.
I'm wondering how much of it is based on Mercedes (I know the 5 link
independent suspension is), and if that is a good thing or bad thing, with
all the current complaints about Mercedes reliability.

Lastly, assuming it is a nice car, and built equivalent to modern Mercedes,
would you trade in a 99 S420 for one, or is that simply giving up prestige
for a lesser vehicle?

Old May 4th 04, 05:23 AM
Chas Hurst

"REInvestments" > wrote in message
> I have a 99 S 420. I saw the dark blue 300 C today in real life, and I
> like it. Reminds me of a poor man's (me) Rolls Royce.
> I'm wondering how much of it is based on Mercedes (I know the 5 link
> independent suspension is), and if that is a good thing or bad thing, with
> all the current complaints about Mercedes reliability.
>
> Lastly, assuming it is a nice car, and built equivalent to modern

Mercedes,
> would you trade in a 99 S420 for one, or is that simply giving up prestige
> for a lesser vehicle?

I just went to the website expecting a fullback ina tux. What a big, homely
car. It's nothing like the original 300.

Old May 4th 04, 05:23 AM
Chas Hurst

Old May 4th 04, 10:40 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Based on previous generation E-Class platform, according to a review
published in UK Sunday Times (quality Sunday paper) two days ago.

DAS
---

Old May 4th 04, 10:40 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Old May 4th 04, 03:38 PM
Rich Williamson

In article >,
"REInvestments" > wrote:

> I have a 99 S 420. I saw the dark blue 300 C today in real life, and I
> like it. Reminds me of a poor man's (me) Rolls Royce.
> I'm wondering how much of it is based on Mercedes (I know the 5 link
> independent suspension is), and if that is a good thing or bad thing, with
> all the current complaints about Mercedes reliability.
>
> Lastly, assuming it is a nice car, and built equivalent to modern Mercedes,
> would you trade in a 99 S420 for one, or is that simply giving up prestige
> for a lesser vehicle?

one pulled up behind me and I thought it was an ugly Bently..when it
pulled up alog side me it was Ok, but I wonder how well bult a Chrysler
can really be... I remeber back to my fathers convertible Sebring...it
was poorly laid out, and fun (due to being a convertible) but very
unispiring.

The 300c was very large bulbous, and square...
Old May 4th 04, 03:38 PM
Rich Williamson

Old May 7th 04, 01:37 AM
Mike \Rotor\ Nowak

They might say it has a hemi, but it's got a Caddilac engine under the hood.
Those V4/V8 switcharoo engines are horrible, reliability wise.

Stick with yer S420 and move up to a E320 CDI when you feel like something
new.

-Mike

Old May 7th 04, 01:37 AM
Mike \Rotor\ Nowak

Old May 8th 04, 04:12 PM
GRL

The German's are having problems with quality of late principally with their
electronic systems. They feel they must be state of the art in that regard,
but they end up putting their customers on the bleeding edge of technology
because their engineering and manufacturing (suppliers) are just not up to
the task.

The traditional hardware they still do well. Consumer Report comments on
this whole thing with the Germans in their latest issue.

Would I trade a Merc on a Chrysler? Especially a first year Chrysler. Well,
if all you had to spend was under $40,000 and had to have "new", maybe. If I
were willing to buy used, I would run (not walk) to a Lexus dealer and pick
up a 2-3 year old lease turn-in GS or LS for the same money. I would get the
best reliability on earth in the bargain, new or not new. And, if it was a
GS430, it would be a fun car to drive, to boot.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)