Zero lash Cont.

Old January 31st 05, 12:42 AM
Mike Romain

I think the best job on an old beast is to static set them fast not
being too picky and thinking loose is better than tight, (a ticky valve
won't burn out) then start it up and wet finish them by backing each off
until it clicks, then setting it the way your book said in another
thread.

I don't trust old lifters for a set and button it up deal because I have
seen too many folks fail at it. They (liters) are sneaky SOB's.

My $0.02,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 31st 05, 12:16 PM
pater

Mike Romain Jan 29, 7:43 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: Mike Romain > - Find messages by this author

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:43:59 -0500
LTelling him to do it dry by 'feel' like you 'professional me=ADchanics'
do
(and I use that term 'very' loosely') in your next post is g=ADiving him

one fast lesson on how to burn out valves. He more than obv=ADiously
does
'not' have the 'feel' for it so he should just do it by the =ADbook like

most 'normal' people do.

He does 'not' say they are new lifters so the spring pressur=ADe will
'not'
be the same between any two lifters and some springs could e=ADven be
collapsed a bit.

When in doubt, read the damn manual eh.

I have seen lots of folks use the 'feel' method saying they =ADdon't
'need'
to do it 'right' , only to have low power and dead heads in =AD6 months
or
less.

ocal: Sat, Jan 29 2005 7:43 am
Subject: Zero lash Cont.
original | Report Abuse

How to burn out hydraulic valves in one easy lesson....

Adjust them dry.

Therefore I stand by stating he should adjust them pumped up=AD like his

book says to do and the way to do old lifters.

It isn't that freaking messy if he keeps the idle down and i=ADt is the
only 'safe' and not confusing way I know of to adjust old va=ADlves.
Mike Romain Jan 30, 7:30 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: Mike Romain > - Find messages by this author

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:30:49 -0500
original | Report Abuse

What happens if you have old sticky lifters that don't come =ADall the
way
back up when compressed dry like the OP 'appears' to have? =AD(weak
springs, a dirt or varnish ring, sludge in the hole, whateve=ADr)

You can only be sure the first one is at the top because you=AD have to
rotate the engine for the next so all lifters are moved befo=ADre
adjusting.

These are your first 4 posts....... This is your last one........
Mike Romain Jan 30, 4:42 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.autos.tech
From: Mike Romain > - Find messages by this author

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:42:54 -0500
original | Report Abuse

I think the best job on an old beast is to static set them f=ADast not
being too picky and thinking loose is better than tight, (a =ADticky
valve
won't burn out)
Havin trouble trying to figure out just what message your trying to
convey here. End of story/involvement with this one.

Old January 31st 05, 02:59 PM
Mike Romain

pater wrote:

> Havin trouble trying to figure out just what message your trying to
> convey here. End of story/involvement with this one.

The only message you snipped out of all that garbage although it had a
spelling error for '(lifters)'....

"Quote"

I don't trust old lifters for a set and button it up deal because I have
seen too many folks fail at it. They (liters) are sneaky SOB's

"End Quote"

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's