2002 Dodge Intrepid pinging

Old May 19th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

Default 2002 Dodge Intrepid pinging

I've got a 2002 Dodge Intrepid that is pinging way too much. I've switched
to premium fuel and that helped a bit at first, but it is still pinging too
much. Vehicle has 145K miles.

A mechanic who saw the car suggested that the combustion chamber has taken
on carbon and that has increased the compression ratio.

There really isn't much to maintain on that engine. The plugs are new; the
engine doesn't have a distributor or wires; air filter is new. I don't
think there are any air/vacuum leaks as it idles smoothly. Replacing the
plugs didn't make any difference; try ones in a colder heat range? Does the
engine have a knock sensor? Web searches seem to indicate that Dodge quit
using one in 2002.
Old May 19th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

AZ Nomad wrote:
> I've got a 2002 Dodge Intrepid that is pinging way too much. I've switched
> to premium fuel and that helped a bit at first, but it is still pinging too
> much. Vehicle has 145K miles.
>
> A mechanic who saw the car suggested that the combustion chamber has taken
> on carbon and that has increased the compression ratio.
>
> There really isn't much to maintain on that engine. The plugs are new; the
> engine doesn't have a distributor or wires; air filter is new. I don't
> think there are any air/vacuum leaks as it idles smoothly. Replacing the
> plugs didn't make any difference; try ones in a colder heat range? Does the
> engine have a knock sensor? Web searches seem to indicate that Dodge quit
> using one in 2002.

I know you've checked the timing and just forgot to mention it.

--
It's funny how quickly liberal atheists can develop a belief in hell
when someone they hate dies.
Old May 21st 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

AZ Nomad wrote:

> I've got a 2002 Dodge Intrepid that is pinging way too much. I've switched
> to premium fuel and that helped a bit at first, but it is still pinging too
> much. Vehicle has 145K miles.
>
> A mechanic who saw the car suggested that the combustion chamber has taken
> on carbon and that has increased the compression ratio.
>
> There really isn't much to maintain on that engine. The plugs are new; the
> engine doesn't have a distributor or wires; air filter is new. I don't
> think there are any air/vacuum leaks as it idles smoothly. Replacing the
> plugs didn't make any difference; try ones in a colder heat range? Does the
> engine have a knock sensor? Web searches seem to indicate that Dodge quit
> using one in 2002.

A plugged EGR passage or an inoperative EGR valve will cause excessive
pinging. So will a disconnected (bad connection?) or failed (not likely)
knock sensor.

Old May 21st 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

clifto wrote:

> AZ Nomad wrote:
>
>>I've got a 2002 Dodge Intrepid that is pinging way too much. I've switched
>>to premium fuel and that helped a bit at first, but it is still pinging too
>>much. Vehicle has 145K miles.
>>
>>A mechanic who saw the car suggested that the combustion chamber has taken
>>on carbon and that has increased the compression ratio.
>>
>>There really isn't much to maintain on that engine. The plugs are new; the
>>engine doesn't have a distributor or wires; air filter is new. I don't
>>think there are any air/vacuum leaks as it idles smoothly. Replacing the
>>plugs didn't make any difference; try ones in a colder heat range? Does the
>>engine have a knock sensor? Web searches seem to indicate that Dodge quit
>>using one in 2002.

> I know you've checked the timing and just forgot to mention it.

Timing isn't adjustable on these vehicles, and the spark isn't even
directly tied to the cam position. The cam sensor tells the computer
*which* cylinder is about to fire next, but the actual firing event is
based on the crankshaft position sensor. So, within limits, a timing
belt being off a tooth or two won't even affect ignition timing.

2002 Intrepid Abby.Normal Dodge 8 May 6th 07 04:39 PM
1998-2002 DODGE INTREPID A/M CAPA CERTIFIED FRONT BUMPER COVER-NOT PAINTED AUTOBODYSHOPOWNER Dodge 0 September 2nd 06 11:41 PM
2002 dodge intrepid water pump genem Dodge 4 September 25th 05 10:50 AM
2001 Dodge Ram Pinging WD-40 Technology 5 June 19th 05 04:06 PM
Dodge Intrepid (2002) - Radio Removal Droopy Dodge 1 January 19th 05 07:23 PM