iRacing Transmission and Drivetrain?

Old July 16th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
David Fisher's Left Testicle

Default iRacing Transmission and Drivetrain?

Has the above been put right yet? iRacing is supposed to be a training tool,
yet it allows flat shifting and has a homosexual auto clutch. It's about
time they forced the use of a clutch.

Old July 16th 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jelloshooter69

On Jul 15, 7:29*pm, "David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol>
wrote:
> Has the above been put right yet? iRacing is supposed to be a training tool,
> yet it allows flat shifting and has a homosexual auto clutch. It's about
> time they forced the use of a clutch.

was this a pit fall of nr2k3 also?
Old July 16th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

wrote:
> Has the above been put right yet? iRacing is supposed to be a training tool,
> yet it allows flat shifting and has a homosexual auto clutch. It's about
> time they forced the use of a clutch.

Hi DFLT,

Transmission and drivetrain will be worked on considerably, to the
point where you can damage them or lose time/speed by doing things in
an incorrect manner. Those items have not been implemented yet,
however.

Tim
Old July 16th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

wrote:
> >Has the above been put right yet? iRacing is supposed to be a training
> >tool,
> >yet it allows flat shifting and has a homosexual auto clutch. It's about
> >time they forced the use of a clutch.

>Hi DFLT,

>Transmission and drivetrain will be worked on considerably, to the
>point where you can damage them or lose time/speed by doing things in
>an incorrect manner. Those items have not been implemented yet,
>however.

>Tim

Hi Tim, will the use of a clutch ever become mandatory for those cars that
need it in real life?

Old July 16th 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> iRacing is supposed to be a training tool, yet it allows ...

The training tool aspect stops at learning basic track layout,
such as where the track goes left or right. If the goal is
to learn the track layout, then realistic transmissions
aren't required.

Beyond that, things like braking or turn in points are going
to be different in real life than in any current PC game,
including iRacing.

How to drive a car at the limits is also different in real life,
perhaps easier because you can feel the forces or lack thereof
if the tires start to go.

Old July 21st 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

On Jul 16, 11:03*am, "David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol>
wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Jul 15, 7:29 pm, "David Fisher's Left Testicle" <dfg.myass@aol>
> wrote:
>
> > >Has the above been put right yet? iRacing is supposed to be a training
> > >tool,
> > >yet it allows flat shifting and has a homosexual auto clutch. It's about
> > >time they forced the use of a clutch.

> >Hi DFLT,
> >Transmission and drivetrain will be worked on considerably, to the
> >point where you can damage them or lose time/speed by doing things in
> >an incorrect manner. Those items have not been implemented yet,
> >however.
> >Tim

> Hi Tim, will the use of a clutch ever become mandatory for those cars that
> need it in real life?

I don't know the answer to that yet, sorry. It may be that like with
resets, things will be more realistic the higher up the ladder you are.
Old July 21st 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

On Jul 16, 5:04*pm, "jeffareid" > wrote:
> *> iRacing is supposed to be a training tool, yet it allows ...
>
> The training tool aspect stops at learning basic track layout,
> such as where the track goes left or right. If the goal is
> to learn the track layout, then realistic transmissions
> aren't required.
>
> Beyond that, things like braking or turn in points are going
> to be different in real life than in any current PC game,
> including iRacing.
>
> How to drive a car at the limits is also different in real life,
> perhaps easier because you can feel the forces or lack thereof
> if the tires start to go.

I kind of disagree there. If you drive sim and real car the same, and
your brain uses the visual and audible cues, I think you can
definitely begin to 'feel' the seat of pants feedback and get the same/
similar experience. That's the thing really, drive how you would a
real car, see how good it feels. You can certainly drive badly if you
want, and there's a fair share of real-world drivers who do (stabbing
the throttle, not being smooth, etc, a lot of real-world drivers have
no idea how to technically make a car drive to it's best). Sure, if
you want to make a car turn, you can stab the throttle to bring it
around, but how many people can control that? Probably very few.