Hilift jack questions -- don't flame me, yes it's dangerous

Old December 26th 04, 05:05 AM
Jeff

honestly Bill, I'm not trying to be a smartass what so ever... I was up on
one of John Cranfields trails, stuck on a stump in ruts and couldn't get a
bottle jack under the axle and under the bumper wouldn't get the axle off
the ground.... I know had I had a Hilift I woulda been on my way...and even
if I had a winch I was in a clearcut and the nearest tree was hundreds of
feet away...I finally resorted in calling John, askin' him to bring ol'
Muddy out fer another Jeep rescue...

--
Jeff
'03 TJ & '95 ZJ
"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> I can lift the whole axle one foot, and shift it, which usually
> much higher than your hi-lift may lift chassis and then unsparing that
> axle then off the ground. To each their own.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Jeff wrote:
> >
> > how high a bottle jack can ya get?? I was stuck once before the hilift

and

Old December 26th 04, 05:26 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jeff,
It's a good rule to go off roading with another Jeep, kind of like
the buddy system that works well in scuba diving. And it's much more fun
showing off our conquests to one another
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 26th 04, 03:21 PM
Mike Romain

I recently was in a logged area and did the same. I came down hard
enough to crack my frame on the stump. We jacked under the frame to
clear the stump top and used a winch for a corner pull to get me off.

Even in clear cut they leave stumps..... Stumps are pretty good winch
anchors. So is a crow bar pounded into the ground So are other Jeeps.
A hand winch like a come-A-long works well in the woods and is
relatively safe to use. It is also the same price or cheaper than a
high lift.

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html

Or wheel alone with a high lift or better the original one, a Jack-All
and make sure your life insurance is paid up to date.....

I mean really, the first rule is to never wheel alone, but hey who am I
to preach about that. LOL! Looks like we are doing a 5 day deep bush
New Years run solo this year....

I have a hydraulic floor jack, a hand cable winch or come-A-long, two
3"x 20 or 30' snatch straps and a Warn HS9000i winch on front with 125'
I think of cable. And a shovel. And really hoping I need none of the
above... ;-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 27th 04, 05:03 PM
Jeff Strickland

If somebody bought you a XXL tshirt, and you normally wear an L, would you
put on a few pounds, or exchange it for one that fits?

Here we have a HiLift that is the equivelent of a XXL where the L is a
better choice. I say exchange it for the right size.

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Jeff, I've never exchanged a gift, it's a slap in the face of the person
> whom presumably thought long and hart in choosing this gift.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
> >
> > It's alot cleaner to just exchange it for a 48" jack. Buy a soft-soil

foot

Old December 27th 04, 05:05 PM
Jeff Strickland

I'm with her. Exchange it. Use the refund, if any, to get yourself an
accessory for the jack, like a foot for use in soft soil. The last thing you
want is for your jack to sink as fast as it is lifting your Jeep.

"Eric" > wrote in message
> Naah, Windy only got the bigger one because it was only a couple of

dollars

Old December 27th 04, 07:21 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'd put it with the rest of the stuff going to Goodwill.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 27th 04, 08:57 PM
Jeff Strickland

That would make somebody feel good? Sheesh!.

You said you never exchange stuff because it makes the giver feel bad. But,
you would forward an oversize shirt to Goodwill. That makes lots of sense,
Bill. And, in the instance we are talking about, the giver is the spouse of
the guy that you are suggesting you jetison the gift to the Goodwill. She'll
never notice the oversize jack is gone. Yeah, right.

Old December 27th 04, 10:09 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

"She" is not stupid, like the people you must know that will not
bother to buy the correct size in the first place.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 28th 04, 03:34 AM
Eric

I exchanged it last week and am going to pick up the new one tomorrow.

Eric

Old December 28th 04, 06:21 PM
Jeff Strickland

Excellent choice. It beats giving it to Goodwill, as Bill suggested.