Intrepid Issues

Old February 9th 05, 04:28 AM
GKR

Default Intrepid Issues

This past week my engine light came on & I began to hear a small clicking
sound. I made an appointment at a shop I trust, but before the appt, the
click became a loud metallic rattling sound & the car died. I was able to
make it my driveway, but had it towed to a dealership from there.

They are telling me that there is sludge in the engine & I need a new one.
I have the extended warranty, but they have called in adjuster to see if
they are going to cover it or not.

I do not have any service receipts due to moving (military) etc & they are
now claiming it is my fault. I have kept it routinely serviced & have
noticed that this seems to be a recurring problem with intrepids. Mine is
a 2001.

Any advice? Same problems?

Old February 9th 05, 04:45 AM
Dan C

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:28:14 -0500, GKR wrote:

> I do not have any service receipts due to moving (military) etc & they are
> now claiming it is my fault. I have kept it routinely serviced & have
> noticed that this seems to be a recurring problem with intrepids. Mine is
> a 2001.

You didn't say what engine or how many miles are on it, but I believe the
2.7 motor is "famous" for sludging up and failing. Not sure at what
mileage that usually occurs. That could be your problem, and there are
others in here that will probably give you more information than I can...

I have a 2001 with the 3.2 motor (only 35,000 miles) and it has not had
any problems whatsoever.

Linux Registered User #327951

Old February 9th 05, 04:56 AM
GKR

I have a 2.7L V6. I bought it with 26000-27000 miles on it & it now has
58350 on it.

Old February 9th 05, 12:37 PM
Dan C

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:56:43 -0500, GKR wrote:

> I have a 2.7L V6. I bought it with 26000-27000 miles on it & it now has
> 58350 on it.

Well, it may indeed have the well-known "sludging" problem that the 2.7 is
known for. You'll have to have someone confirm that, but it sounds right.

Linux Registered User #327951

Old February 9th 05, 03:09 PM

I have the 2.7 with 40K with no problems yet. But I have used synthetic
oil. I also have a 3.3 with 150,000+ that a bolt hasn't been turned on
and it doesn't use a drop of oil either.

Bill

Old February 9th 05, 06:57 PM
Larry Crites

My 1999 Intrepid w/2.7 has 96,500 miles on it. I bought it at 91,700. Guess
it was well taken care of, and I now have synthetic in it.

Larry
Behold Beware Believe

ups.com...

Old February 10th 05, 09:14 PM
GKR

I just got back from the dealership that has my car. I went to see the
adjustor while he was there. Not only would they not let me see the
adjustor, but they wouldn't tell me anything. My last 2 services have used
Valvoline synthetic 10W30. The service dept told me that I was not supposed
to use over 5W30, but that the synthetic or regular would not have made a
difference. Two hours later they have called to say that my extended
warranty is void due to gross negligence because I cant produce more than
my last two service receipts. As many problems as I have found with this
type engine, and the service guy even saying this type engine has a bad
history, I am having serious issues.

I guess the main problem is that I was not allowed to speak to the
adjustor.

Old February 10th 05, 11:05 PM
GUNNER

GKR wrote:
> I just got back from the dealership that has my car. I went to see

the
> adjustor while he was there. Not only would they not let me see the
> adjustor, but they wouldn't tell me anything. My last 2 services have

used
> Valvoline synthetic 10W30. The service dept told me that I was not

supposed
> to use over 5W30, but that the synthetic or regular would not have

made a
> difference. Two hours later they have called to say that my extended
> warranty is void due to gross negligence because I cant produce more

than
> my last two service receipts. As many problems as I have found with

this
> type engine, and the service guy even saying this type engine has a

bad
> history, I am having serious issues.
>
> I guess the main problem is that I was not allowed to speak to the
> adjustor.

Sorry to hear that.
Do you have a Chrysler service contract or a aftermarket contract?
We have to call with the $ amount before we can make repairs on the 2.7
There has been more than one time when the repair has totaled the car.
If this is the case the service contract company should have to pay of
the total. Keeping records is not law in most states. It isn't here in
Ohio.
You can also call Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997 and raise the roof. What
is the worse that can happen? they say no.

Old February 11th 05, 04:58 AM
GKR

I actually have the Chrysler extended warranty. I have called and spoken to
4 people at different Chrysler numbers & they have said the same thing. NO.
It is not a law in NC to keep records nor does my contract must show proof
of all servicing.

I guess the car is getting towed back to my residence at this point. Until
I can find someone to charge me less than $6500 + labor and taxes. Thansk
for the help everyone!

Old February 11th 05, 12:41 PM
Dan C

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:58:10 -0500, GKR wrote:

> I actually have the Chrysler extended warranty. I have called and spoken to
> 4 people at different Chrysler numbers & they have said the same thing. NO.
> It is not a law in NC to keep records nor does my contract must show proof
> of all servicing.

Sounds like the car is covered then. What's the problem?

> I guess the car is getting towed back to my residence at this point. Until
> I can find someone to charge me less than $6500 + labor and taxes. Thansk
> for the help everyone!

I don't understand this... Make them honor the warranty. What are you
doing?

Linux Registered User #327951