A/C: freon additives and the slow leak

Old April 19th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default A/C: freon additives and the slow leak

While surveying the local parts store I noticed A/C freon with additives
like lubricants and sealer.
Now it just so happens that I'm buying a van from a fellow who told me
he gets his system recharged annually because of a slow leak. And the
mechanic
said the exchanger is buried in the dash, meaning lots of work to replace
it.
Apparently, the leak is in there.
I asked my mechanic if using freon with a sealer would work. He claims it
will seal everything up, including the capillaries. Is that possible?
Could it? Wouldn't the manufacturer have problems with this product if
it always plugged up the A/C?
Or is this a mechanic who wants to get more easy work?

thanks

Old April 20th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
"les" > wrote:

> While surveying the local parts store I noticed A/C freon with additives
> like lubricants and sealer.
> Now it just so happens that I'm buying a van from a fellow who told me
> he gets his system recharged annually because of a slow leak. And the
> mechanic
> said the exchanger is buried in the dash, meaning lots of work to replace
> it.
> Apparently, the leak is in there.
> I asked my mechanic if using freon with a sealer would work. He claims it
> will seal everything up, including the capillaries. Is that possible?
> Could it? Wouldn't the manufacturer have problems with this product if
> it always plugged up the A/C?
> Or is this a mechanic who wants to get more easy work?
>
> thanks

No AC service tech in his right mind will touch a system that has
sealer installed in it.

The fact that AC sealers exist on the market is in no way an
endorsement that they don't cause problems, there is no shortage
of people stupid enough to purchase such magic potions.

Please clarify the part about "a mechanic who wants to get more
easy work," it seems to contradict the part where you say "the
Old April 20th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

No problem.
I know it sounds contradictory, but I've done automotive work and know that
wrestling with a transmission or other major work is a lot more strenuous
than
replacing some wiring, or piping or brake work. So, I consider this an
easier
task, save cataloging all the part placements.
I've heard Click and Clack discussing using oil supplements for worn gaskets
and rings when it's cost prohibitive to crack the manifold. I wondered if a
similar
situation carried into A/C systems.

Old April 20th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >, "les" >
wrote:

> No problem.
> I know it sounds contradictory, but I've done automotive work and know that
> wrestling with a transmission or other major work is a lot more strenuous
> than
> replacing some wiring, or piping or brake work. So, I consider this an
> easier
> task, save cataloging all the part placements.

Not really.
Nothing is going to be more apparent to the customer than
something amiss in their interior, a squeak, a rattle, god forbid
a speck or smudge... Pulling a dash is awkward work, slightly
cleaner than pulling a transmission, not many look forward to it.

> I've heard Click and Clack discussing using oil supplements for worn gaskets
> and rings when it's cost prohibitive to crack the manifold. I wondered if a
> similar
> situation carried into A/C systems.

Click and Clack is comedy (if you like that sort of comedy),
nothing they say should be taken as accurate or advice.