a6 2.7 turb or 3.0

Old July 20th 05, 12:28 PM

Default a6 2.7 turb or 3.0

I am looking to buy a 2002 or newer a6. Any comments on which engine
to get?

Myron

Old July 20th 05, 02:06 PM
Guy King

The message .com>
from " > contains these words:

> I am looking to buy a 2002 or newer a6. Any comments on which engine
> to get?

Diesel, of course!

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Old July 20th 05, 07:20 PM
Dano58

If you're looking for higher performance, get the 2.7T, if ultimate
performance isn't that big of a deal, get the 3.0 and stay away from
potential turbo issues (x2)...

If you want a manual trans, however, the 2.7T is the only choice.

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old July 21st 05, 08:10 AM
Bram

> If you're looking for higher performance, get the 2.7T, if ultimate
> performance isn't that big of a deal, get the 3.0 and stay away from
> potential turbo issues (x2)...

How's the reliability of the 3.0? I couldn't find much about it
googling this group but I figure it's more durable than the
turboed 1.8s? I'm about to buy an '02 A4 and I am trying to
decide between the 163HP 1.8TQ and the 220HP 3.0TQ..

> If you want a manual trans, however, the 2.7T is the only choice.

Outside the US the 3.0 is available with a nice manual 6-er.

Old July 22nd 05, 01:32 AM
Tony

Bram wrote:
>>If you're looking for higher performance, get the 2.7T, if ultimate
>>performance isn't that big of a deal, get the 3.0 and stay away from
>>potential turbo issues (x2)...

> How's the reliability of the 3.0? I couldn't find much about it
> googling this group but I figure it's more durable than the
> turboed 1.8s? I'm about to buy an '02 A4 and I am trying to
> decide between the 163HP 1.8TQ and the 220HP 3.0TQ..

Again, you need to decide what is important to you - durability or performance.

The 220HP 3.0TQ may sound like a more exciting and fast ride but the 3.0 has its
own maintenance issues - timing belt changes. cam seal oil leaks unless that
have that figured out by now.

The 1.8TQM at factory 163HP is still a fun experience and if maintenance is kept
current will probably be as reliable as the 3.0.

From a performance standpoint the 1.8T can be much easier and cheaper to modify
with chips, turbo upgrades, exhaust and many other things readily available on
the market to be notably faster than the 3.0 while at the same time deliver very
good mileage if you can resist the temptation to use the 'on' button. With only
the addition of a performance chip you will bring it to 200+HP and with more 280
- 300 HP is quite easily attainable.

The only notable performance upgrade for the 3.0 is a supercharger for 4 - 5 K$.
Nice but pricey.

Me? I have the 1.8TQM with APR chip and essentially stock other than wheels and
S4 bumper. At about 200HP I find it a good compromise between fun performance
and good highway mileage (26 - 29+mpg US).

My son drives a 2.8Tip and likes it but I can out perform him if we were to try
and his best highway mileage is 24 - 26 mpg) Notable less that mine in town driving.

Old July 22nd 05, 09:22 AM
Bram

Thanks for the info!

> > How's the reliability of the 3.0? I couldn't find much about it
> > googling this group but I figure it's more durable than the
> > turboed 1.8s? I'm about to buy an '02 A4 and I am trying to
> > decide between the 163HP 1.8TQ and the 220HP 3.0TQ..

> Again, you need to decide what is important to you - durability or
> performance.

I think durability is #1 for me. I'm more of a cruiser than a racer
and performance is more like a luxury to me. Once a year I drive to
Germany to let the car smell her home and let her go wild but most
of the time it's < 130Km/h (80Mph). Dutch roads are cluttered and
clogged 24/7 anyway. Not to mention the speeding-nazis lurking around
every corner and under every bridge with their laserguns and cameras.

> The 220HP 3.0TQ may sound like a more exciting and fast ride but the 3.0
> has its own maintenance issues - timing belt changes. cam seal oil leaks
> unless that have that figured out by now.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll ask about it.

> The 1.8TQM at factory 163HP is still a fun experience and if maintenance
> is kept current will probably be as reliable as the 3.0.

The thing is that I currently have a 180bhp TT and I kind of dislike
the thought of moving to a heavier car with less power. I'm going to
testdrive both tomorrow but I expect the 3.0 M6 to fit the character
of the heavy A4 Avant Quattro better.

Cheers!