HELP!!!! WARNING LIGHTS - cooling system and oil pressure low

Old December 23rd 04, 11:01 PM
JoeC1210

Default HELP!!!! WARNING LIGHTS - cooling system and oil pressure low

Can somebody please offer any advice for my 1998 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L
problems:

The car shakes when I drive and kind of stutters when moving and even at
idle.

I have no heat all of the sudden

A red light came on today that means cooling system problem

A red light came on today that means low oil pressure

The windows uncontrollably fogged up today.

I have a full tank of anti-freeze and full oil

Should I be putting premium or regular fuel in it?

I don't know how much I have to do in repairs or how much it would cost.
The car has 95K miles. Any suggestions from anyone? I can't afford
$3,000 in repairs. Please let me know if any one knows of cheaper
alternatives.

Thanks,
Joe

Old December 24th 04, 03:18 AM
Tony

Yep. If not DIY, $3,000 might just about cover it. : (

JoeC1210 wrote:
> Can somebody please offer any advice for my 1998 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L
> problems:
>
> The car shakes when I drive and kind of stutters when moving and even at
> idle.

Check to see if all the cylinders are firing. Possible broken spark plug, bad
plug wire. Do these have the infamous, intermittent, coil packs?

> I have no heat all of the sudden
>
> A red light came on today that means cooling system problem

Heater core is bad / leaking. Repair cost will get your attention. If it is
minor leak an additive like stop leak can be a temporary / semi permanent fix.
However, from what you describe it sounds like the leak may be more than minor.

> A red light came on today that means low oil pressure

Don't drive until you know why this is on.

> The windows uncontrollably fogged up today.

See comment on Heater core.

> I have a full tank of anti-freeze and full oil

Heater core leak can fog windows with very little coolant lose.

Oil pressure my be causing the code. Is it cold where you live? Have you changed
to winter weight oil? Use a good Mahle oil filter or have you taken the car to
Jiffy Lube where they use Audi killing Fram or other cheap filters.

> Should I be putting premium or regular fuel in it?

Follow recommendations of your owner's manual.

> I don't know how much I have to do in repairs or how much it would cost.
> The car has 95K miles. Any suggestions from anyone? I can't afford
> $3,000 in repairs. Please let me know if any one knows of cheaper
> alternatives.

If you do not do your own work you should ask around and find an independent
shop that specializes in working on Audi. Be sure to ask other Audi owners in
your area for their opinion on the independents.

How does $2,999 sound? You might get by easier but when things break money flows.