Cooling Fan???

Old February 14th 04, 09:34 AM
Zenteren

What type of electric fan is best to use on suzuki with small or no
modifications at all on radiator or other mounts? I checked all suzuki
off-road shops for electric fan and I didn't find anything and anybody who
put electric fan on their rig. I don't know what are they doing to cool
their engines down.
Would it help if I pulls out Thermostat valve out? Or maybe put only larger
radiator? Please, help!

"Zenteren" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have suzuki samurai 1.3 liter engine with viscous clutch cooling fan, it
> is wear out and cannot spin fan fast enough to cool the engine. I'm

thinking

Old February 14th 04, 03:03 PM
Elbert

look in places like Jegs or Summit racing for electric fans.

I'm pretty sure both have some kits for installing electric fans.
you want to have one or two fans that are mounted to the rear of the
raidiator and that pull air through the radiatior, and that are
operated off a tempature switch.

Do not remove the thermstat... a larger radiator is always a plus.
go talk to the local radiatior shop in your area about what is
avaliable.

the simple ufront fix is to replace the fan clutch. If you have some
mechanical experience or have some frriends who can help then
the electric fan setup is another choice.

IF you go with electric fans then get one or two fans that will cover
the maximum area of the rear of the radiiator.

Elbert

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:34:52 +0100, "Zenteren"
> wrote:

>What type of electric fan is best to use on suzuki with small or no
>modifications at all on radiator or other mounts? I checked all suzuki
>off-road shops for electric fan and I didn't find anything and anybody who
>put electric fan on their rig. I don't know what are they doing to cool
>their engines down.
>Would it help if I pulls out Thermostat valve out? Or maybe put only larger
>radiator? Please, help!
>

>"Zenteren" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have suzuki samurai 1.3 liter engine with viscous clutch cooling fan, it
>> is wear out and cannot spin fan fast enough to cool the engine. I'm

>thinking
>> to get out clutch system and make an adapter to connect pulley and fan
>> directly to each other. My fan is connected to the water pump pulley.
>> How will this modification work? Is it going to wear faster water pump
>> bearings, and would my engine lost some power, if do what is the best
>> solution to make it cooling better my engine???

----
Elbert Clarke

remove ** to email

Old February 14th 04, 03:03 PM
Elbert

Old February 14th 04, 07:09 PM
Mike Romain

Ok... Lets step back a step or two eh....

First you need to check if the fan clutch has up and quit or if you have
something else making your engine overheat.

Am I reading you correct now and thinking you have an overheating
problem, not just a busted fan clutch you want to anchor solid?

Adding or changing fans or removing t-stats will not help if something
else is broke...

How old is it? How many miles?

To test the fan clutch, you need to heat up the engine and watch the fan
when someone shuts off the engine. A properly working clutch will stop
the fan almost instantly when hot. A dead one will let the fan keep
spinning.

If the fan spins, change the clutch, end of problem.

If not, well....

Check first and come back and post about it, then we might be able to
give you some halfway educated guesses.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 14th 04, 07:09 PM
Mike Romain

Old February 16th 04, 10:34 AM
Zenteren

I think you all didn't understand me. My engine temperature is in place when
I am on the road or just traveling on the trail from 3MPH-20MPH. But when my
vehicle stuck on rocky - muddy slope and I have to winch it for the full
wire rope capacity of my WARN then the engine becomes to overheat, I think
it is because I m winching on low RPM, then it is normally that fan cannot
spin fast if the engine is turning slow.
Maybe in that case the electric fan would be the best choice.

Old February 16th 04, 10:34 AM
Zenteren

Old February 16th 04, 02:31 PM
Mike Romain

Ok, you have something broke.

Your engine should not overheat at idle.

A worn out fan clutch is a good guess. They do wear out, especially if
you off road in mud and water. Mud gets inside old ones and kills them
fast.

To test the fan clutch.

Heat up the engine fully. Open the hood and watch the fan when someone
else shuts off the engine.

If the fan clutch is good, the fan will stop almost instantly. If the
fan keeps on spinning, it is dead and the clutch needs changing.

A working fan clutch locks up the fan to the engine when hot and at low
speed.

Mike

Old February 16th 04, 02:31 PM
Mike Romain

Old February 16th 04, 03:40 PM
Zenteren

I'll test my clutch the way you wrote and see if it is weared out.
Thanks.