Cooling Fan???

Old February 16th 04, 03:40 PM
Zenteren

I'll test my clutch the way you wrote and see if it is weared out.
Thanks.

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Ok, you have something broke.
>
> Your engine should not overheat at idle.
>
> A worn out fan clutch is a good guess. They do wear out, especially if
> you off road in mud and water. Mud gets inside old ones and kills them
> fast.
>
> To test the fan clutch.
>
> Heat up the engine fully. Open the hood and watch the fan when someone
> else shuts off the engine.
>
> If the fan clutch is good, the fan will stop almost instantly. If the
> fan keeps on spinning, it is dead and the clutch needs changing.
>
> A working fan clutch locks up the fan to the engine when hot and at low
> speed.
>
> Mike
>
> Zenteren wrote:
> >
> > I think you all didn't understand me. My engine temperature is in place

when
> > I am on the road or just traveling on the trail from 3MPH-20MPH. But

when my
> > vehicle stuck on rocky - muddy slope and I have to winch it for the full
> > wire rope capacity of my WARN then the engine becomes to overheat, I

think
> > it is because I m winching on low RPM, then it is normally that fan

cannot
> > spin fast if the engine is turning slow.
> > Maybe in that case the electric fan would be the best choice.
> >
> > "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > > Ok... Lets step back a step or two eh....
> > >
> > > First you need to check if the fan clutch has up and quit or if you

have
> > > something else making your engine overheat.
> > >
> > > Am I reading you correct now and thinking you have an overheating
> > > problem, not just a busted fan clutch you want to anchor solid?
> > >
> > > Adding or changing fans or removing t-stats will not help if something
> > > else is broke...
> > >
> > > How old is it? How many miles?
> > >
> > > To test the fan clutch, you need to heat up the engine and watch the

fan
> > > when someone shuts off the engine. A properly working clutch will

stop
> > > the fan almost instantly when hot. A dead one will let the fan keep
> > > spinning.
> > >
> > > If the fan spins, change the clutch, end of problem.
> > >
> > > If not, well....
> > >
> > > Check first and come back and post about it, then we might be able to
> > > give you some halfway educated guesses.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

suzuki

anybody
> > who

cool

> > larger

> > fan, it

I'm

fan

pulley.

pump

best

Old February 21st 04, 04:55 PM
Clem

You really should consider just changing the clutch if it's bad. An electric
fan might work OK for idle cooling, but when you're working the engine hard
at lower speeds the electric may not be enough.

They designed it with an engine driven fan for a reason. In fact, I don't
recall any off road vehicle that doesn't have an engine driven fan. My
Cherokee has an engine driven primary and electric secondary.

When you're working it in 4 low you can really hear the engine driven fan
kicking in. You won't get an electric to pull that much air.

Rigging an engine driven fan that is supposed to have a clutch so that it
does not have a clutch is going to hurt your horsepower. It will cool like a
mutha, but it'll bog your engine down and sound like a jet going down the
road. lol.

I believe your best bet is to replace your fan clutch. If you find you are
still overheating at idle, then add a pusher electric to the front of the
radiator if there's room.

But you don't want to trade good idle cooling for bad high-load cooling.
(ie. electric fan only). You can always give the engine some acceleration
while you are winching if it's getting hot (with a new fan clutch it likely
won't get hot). If the engine is providing the power to the winch, then
winch in 4 low or neutral if you can. It will get your engine rpm up and
increase fan speed. (Of course, with a good fan clutch)

Good luck.

Old February 21st 04, 04:55 PM
Clem

Old February 23rd 04, 09:40 AM
Zenteren

I think I am going to eliminate clutch cooling fan and make a flange that
will rotate fan. I don't think that this will kill my horsepower because
with 4:1 gearing I have plenty of power (I have to be careful on gas pedal).
I know it sounds impossible for all you big block guys, but my sammy only
weights 800 Kilos (cca 1800lbs). Thank you for help.

Old February 23rd 04, 09:40 AM
Zenteren

Old February 23rd 04, 03:38 PM
Mike Romain

Just be aware that the bearings do fail inside the clutches. Mud just
kills them.

When the bearings do fail, the fan has this nasty tendency to eat rads
and slice up hoses and other bad things...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 23rd 04, 03:38 PM
Mike Romain