Leaking valve cover gasket q.

Old April 24th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Hal

Default Leaking valve cover gasket q.

> I just did another valve adjustment and the new gasket leaked. What is
> the best way to ensure it won't leak.
> soak the gasket first, buy other than cork ? any ideas, group?

Having been down this road, here is what has always worked for me:
Stock black VW valve cover
Stock VW valve cover bale/wire clip
Stock Cork gasket

Glue the gasket into the cover with RTV. Do not apply sealer to the
face of the gasket touching the head, only glue the back side of the
gasket to the cover. I put a light smear of grease on the side of the
gasket that will touch the head.

Make sure the sealing surface on the head is free of blemishes. If you
find any gouges here you will need to fix it. I do this job with
various grits of sandpaper, before you start put a couple shop rags
over the rockers and into the interior part of the valve area to keep
any metal from getting in there. I usually finish things off with 800
or 1000 grit, I like the surface to be very smooth and free of
defects. Make sure the sealing surface is CLEAN, use some brake
cleaner on a paper towel if in doubt.

A good valve cover wire clip will be tight enough that you will need
to use a screwdriver or similar to walk it up into the proper position
when installing the cover. If you can push it up into the groove with
your bare hand, it is not tight enough and will probably leak.

I don't change these gaskets unless they are leaking, and to be
honest, they do seem to go quite a few miles/valve adjustments if you
do the proper prep work before installing them.

Good luck with it.

Chris
Old April 27th 09, 09:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

1 who waits > wrote:
> I just did another valve adjustment and the new gasket leaked. What is
>
> the best way to ensure it won't leak.
> soak the gasket first, buy other than cork ? any ideas, group?

Are you using original or aftermarket covers and clamps? My old 1303S
used to leak - until I fitted original VW covers! Aftermarket ones don't
fit well at all.
--
http://www.howard81.co.uk/